Eight String for jazz?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by JazzNStuff1001, Mar 6, 2012.

1. JazzNStuff1001

JazzNStuff1001 New Member

Hey fellow guitar people, I need help on a big decision. I kinda want to buy an RG2228 or RG2228a for an all-purpose guitar, but I play mainly jazz. My other option I was considering is an Ibanez AS103 Artcore, but I don't know which I'd get more value out of. How do the cleans sound on 8-strings? I'd love the extended range for additional chord voicings, but how will I sound?

2. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Quite literally... however you want. I use EMG 808Xs in my RG2228 through a POD HD500. Excellent cleans, very versatile, and clear. It entirely depends on your gear and what sound you want. The strings will sound a tad brighter because of the longer scale length, but that's what tone knobs are for.

3. Guitarwiz2k

Guitarwiz2k Tech Metal Guitarwiz

I actually do this now, and with the right pickups, you have alternate voicings, comp and your own walking basslines, plus the scale length makes it so the notes are richer and more articulate. Very versatile guitar, rock, fusion, metal, jazz, classical... not so much traditional or folk type music, like blues, country or accoustic rock, but that's what a second guitar is good for. :) Great instrument, that's very inspiring for new ideas, you won't be sorry.

4. Poparad

Poparad Street Theorist

Another option to consider are the Agile 8 strings, as you can get them with passive pickups. I play jazz professionally for a living, and currently have an Agile 9 that I'm messing around with. The clean sounds on it are very similar to a Les Paul, as one would assume from a solid body with humbuckers. I've found that rock and metal guys have a very different definition of what a good clean sound is from jazz guys, and I can definitely get a great jazz clean sound out of the stock passive pickups in the Agile.

It's a fun instrument to play around with, and for solo guitar I can tell it will be indispensable. I'll be able to more pianistic, in that I will be able to keep the low end filled out without having a bassist around. However, I've found that in a regular combo setting with a bassist, the 8th string is extremely redundant. Due to both the busy and improvised nature of basslines in jazz, there's almost nothing I can do with the low end that doesn't end up fighting the bass player.

5. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I don't see why not...

6. The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole SS.org Regular

I thought the clean sound the emg808 neck pick up produced was beautiful. Totally shocked at how good it was. The guitar itself is a joy to play.

7. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

My personal opinion would be to pick up the new RG2228 with Dimarzio passives that way you can switch whatever pickups in that tickle your fancy. I don't think an EMG equipped one would sound lush enough for jazz playing. Again this is just my opinion.

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I thoroughly agree.

8 strings and GOOD jazz are a fantastic combination. Classically trained (or even classically aware :lol:) players can make great use of the range. I really enjoyed my 8 for that and can't wait to get another.

Also, I find it funny how much TRAM sounds like clean AAL with a Saxophone following the guitars :lol: (of course it does, but I mean LITERALLY the same haha)

9. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

When did this come out and how come I've never heard of it? :shred:

10. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I'm getting rid of my 2228 now, but I did mess around with some jazz on it. You can get some nice tones with it and it opens up a lot of possibilities. You can EQ them to get a nice smooth jazzy tone with retaining a clear low end. I'd go for the 2228A though, as you will have an easier time swapping the pickups out.

11. Daken1134

Daken1134 SS.org Regular

this isnt jazz by any means but its clean stuff. i do a good amount of jazz on my 8 as well. but i would say swap the pickups out ASAP best warm neck pickup ive had so far was the miracle man neck but i have yet to try the dimarzio PAF 8

12. TheOrangeChannel

TheOrangeChannel JonOrBattleship

Get the 2228A, on clean settings those DiMarzio's rule!

13. VILARIKA

VILARIKA SS.org Regular

14. TheOrangeChannel

Thanks for posting this man. This stuff is incredible...I forgot the band name...must grab this. :yesway:

15. VILARIKA

VILARIKA SS.org Regular

No prob, I said the exact same thing that you did when someone posted this video on here :yesway:

16. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

Choice of either EMG or Dimarzios now, nice of Ibanez to do this, now they need to make it lefty. Scratch that, it doesn't matter, I'm going Carvin ^_^

17. TheOrangeChannel

I'd seen it pop up sometime ago in my FB timeline...in any event I went and bought the full length from iTunes last night. Interesting stuff (watching the video ties it together tho', dude's got some interesting stuff going on).

18. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

For the record, the only "jazz" thing posted in this thread has been the Robert Conti video (although TRAM's record could be definitely considered fusion - fantastic record). Jazz is not defined solely by having "jazzy" harmony.

If you ever start accompanying singers you would be surprised at how much adult contemporary music as "jazzy" extensions in it at certain times (Sting, musicals, themes from movies etc.). How that harmony is voiced and treated, doesn't pull the listener into that jazz mindset.

I'll do a quick video of me demonstrating my use of an Agile 8 for jazz. I don't use it much for trad jazz, mainly doing a lot of the post-Rosenwinkel modern jazz guitar stuff.

19. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

I'm not a jazz player, though I'm trying to get into some jazzy vibes..
    One thing that might worry me with jazz on longer scales is exacly the very crisp high end due to lighter gauged top strings.

Of course, things can be changed quite a Bit with different puckups.
    I have no idea which I'd choose for mainly jazzy material, but would assume at least one pickup being of the soapbar type (if such are made for 8-stringers).

On my 26.5", I've found a major 3rd tuning being quite noughty for jazzy vibes.
    Top strings aren't too highly tensioned, meaning not too-light strings can be used, and as an m3 tuning doesn't result in too low notes, the low strings don't have to be overly heavy gauged.

I do not have it m3 tuned for now, but might return to this if/when I obtain a multiscaled axe for my usual (A1...G3) tuning.
    BTW, the m3 tuning is also quite neat for eastern/Arab/Indian scales, hehe..

20. chazisadad

chazisadad You know it!

TRAM look em up if you like baritone 8 string jazz-FUSION