Educate me. Whats the big deal with blues guitarists?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by 777, Mar 29, 2021.

1. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I've had some guitars where my volume knob didn't work very good, but all my higher end guitars seem to be a smooth sweep from 0-10. I'll usually run them around 7-8 until a lead bit where I got to 10, and then add in a boost when I need some more over the topness.

Hollowway likes this.
  2. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I don't think your sarcasm and bullshit detector is working.

3. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I'll take a look into it, afaik he's not really turning it down all the way. But you achieve the sound by turning the volume down about halfway just as well, I used to do that pretty well and I would practice by just keeping my right hand on the volume knob fully gripped turning it and hammering on the notes with my left instead of picking with my right as well.

Fair enough :p

But hey! You were pretty convincing :lol:

4. pahulkster

pahulkster SS.org Regular

SRV is the absolute definition of a guitar god

USMarine75 and c7spheres like this.
  5. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I listen to someone like Kingfish play and am blown away. I'm not a blues guy, I listen to death metal. We can both play the same speed, with the same technical skills. However his note choice, phrasing, and emotion he has while only using 5(6) notes is amazing. Plus he sings.

I think if you can't see the skill in that you need to step back.

It's sort of how I view marty friedman. Plenty of people can outshred marty but no one in the world even touches his note choice and phrasing. Weird japanese culture shit aside

6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

One of the things that made me appreciate blues players so much was getting better at other types of playing. Once I got pretty decent at shreddy stuff and like being able to play all my favorite death metal riffs up to speed, I realized how hard it was to actually made slower playing sound good. I can play all the notes just fine, but making them sound good? That's a whole different story.

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Good video that touches on how blues differs from Western Music Theory (aka classical).

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

You can say what you want about Joe Bonamassa’s ability as a guitarist, but there is no denying he is the KING of filling my inbox with spammy emails. Seriously - absolutely never give your email to his organization. :lol:

Edika, dbrozz, budda and 1 other person like this.
  9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I like heavy blues albums because they don't have the annoying tendency to have theor kick drum sound like a click. I like most of these albums for the sound, not for the technique. I don't care about Bonamassa's technicality, the dude sounds good.
    With age I like the 70es type of gain more than before, and I certainly like very little of the new bands, who all sound like they were produced by Andy Sneap, who I label the worst cancer in metal production ever.

Edika likes this.
  10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

ITT: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Music genres all fall under the umbrella of "music", but they're like a bunch of distant cousins. You can't just 1 to 1 compare blues and neoclassical, or jazz and blues, or DUHJENT and eastern European folk music.

Just like everything else in life, things are nuanced and detailed even more in that nuance. Just because I study for years and years to learn how to do 1 thing on an instrument doesn't mean I can make other music with equal skill, it makes no sense. That's not to say some people are magically imbued with skill, they just got in to that section of music/worked on their skill and nuance in that genre.

Steve Vai is not a good traditional blues player, BB King is a terrible neoclassical composer I'm sure, and Yngwie is shit at writing songs in the style of Animals as Leaders - This doesn't make any of these people bad players whatsoever.

I don't roast my dentist for being unable to fix the tendinitis in my elbow just because a physiotherapist can help, even though they both fall under "medicine"

Think in more dimensions, don't just think of music as this giant obelisk.

Kyle Jordan, VGK17 and profwoot like this.
  11. michael_bolton

michael_bolton SS.org Regular

aaaakshchyually plenty of chicks dig the old school bodybuilder look in that pic. modern bb-ers with HGH guts - maybe not so much esp in the offseason :)

also, you're conflating bodybuilding which is basically lifting/dieting for the looks vs proper weightlifting (e.g. powerlifting, strongman, olympic etc) which is a sport where ppl train to be able to move more weight than the opponent.

Matt08642 likes this.
  12. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

Well quite honestly I am not conflating anything because I never claimed that bodybuilding, powerlifting and extreme strongman competitions are not without merit. They are.... and as a live and let live person I could care less if someone wants to lift until their veins are the size of catheters. My point, and maybe I did not express it properly is that many body builders lose site of what is both healthy and good looking and get a grossly distorted bodies because they get myopic and are in competition with each other and not the common man.

Similarly many guitarists want to categorize new guitarists they discover by their "fretboard prowess" and technical ability as it relates to scales quicker than anyone else. If that was really what mattered all of us would just keep watching the guy who plays flight of the bumblebee on guitar at 7000 bpm....not very musical but that is logical extreme conclusion.

It is of course just my opinion...but as a kid growing up I never cared for EVH the way so many others did because I honestly didn't give a shit about eruption. I became a HUGE fan because I finally listened to what he said musically when he wasn't soloing and I found it to be the best thing I ever heard. That is why I have come to love blues...not because its so technical or extreme or proves complete understanding of theory, but because those guitarists can instantly affect my mood with one tasteful note based on tone in their fingertips.

As far as "plenty of chicks" who dig body builders I can also point out plenty of chicks dig serial killers and even marry them on death row so....no accounting for taste I guess. JK

13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Oh also hot take: Anyone who says things like "Yeah I can play a Liquid Tension Experiment song on guitar flawlessly up to speed but can't bend a note for a few seconds without it sounding bad" probably sounds kinda bad when playing said songs at full speed.

StevenC, efiltsohg and chipchappy like this.
  14. michael_bolton

michael_bolton SS.org Regular

this is true for any sport though. weights that are moved by competitive lifters would crush the "common man".
    pro fighter will annihilate the "common man" etc.

Matt08642 likes this.
  15. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

Meh, I like Greg Howe and BB King on the same playlist. "Why not both?"

USMarine75 likes this.
  16. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

It's simple:

You play the blues and want to be the best. You go to a crossroad, meet the Devil, blood oath and all that fuss so you can be "immortal"

Are we still talking about how good SRV or BB King are? Yes, we are so... there you have it. The Devil is real.

Need more proof?

Randy and Edika like this.
  17. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

You know, they made a documentary about that

Hollowway, Edika and Zhysick like this.
  18. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

'But...but...know your history, and...honor the past, and...bl00z birthed EVERY SINGLE genre of music, and...muh feel/soul (insert vague, nebulous phrase), and...shred is merely a display of meaningless, robotic self-indulgent noise"... /s

19. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

One of the great blues performances. His voice on the first song and his tone on the second especially the breakdown. The second song was one of the first "Boogies" that became basically the guitarist's solo.

Kyle Jordan, Zhysick and dbrozz like this.
  20. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

This past decade has witnessed the birth and rise of the bedroom laptop 1-person djentkid bands.