Edit: Mark Morton was teasing. Joins Gibson's stable of thrash artists that used to play Jacksons.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gibson is really trying to push into the metal market. Old leadership didn't seem to give a shit, but the new people seem to be really trying, what with getting guys like Cantrell, Mustaine, doubling down on Kirk Hammett...

I think they're also trying to focus on specifically "Legacy" metal/rock guys for endorsements, like people who have been around in popular bands for 25+ years. Legacy artists for a legacy brand carries a gravitas to it, and also hits the right age demographic for people who have more disposable income now.

djkhaled305

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the US site his bio loads, but the pages for his sig models were pulled down.

Nor does it appear under the Artist models page.
Ah fair! In the uk he still appears in the artists part and his guitars also still appear. If he is going to gibson, my version of the site might just be behind. Which wouldn’t shock me tbh, I can remember spotting tons of errors on Jackson’s site!

Edit: oh oops nope the entire Jackson dominion page is gone lol

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ngl I always dug that. The Vivian Campbell sig they did that looks very similar looks cool too

View attachment 112550

Transparent black/charcoal is underrated af.

Too bad ESP offered “transparent black” for nearly 20 years and always made it come out an ugly Smokey purple. Because yeah this looks awesome. And PRS does AMAZING trans grey/black too.

Honestly did ANYONE see this coming? After numerous reports of troubled artist relations, bankruptcies, lack of innovation and interesting products.... a mass exodus TO Gibson?

They are looking for artists that can move units. You can only sell a guy another $9k slash LP so many times.

New artists means new fillers between $9k LP’s lol.

I think they're also trying to focus on specifically "Legacy" metal/rock guys for endorsements, like people who have been around in popular bands for 25+ years. Legacy artists for a legacy brand carries a gravitas to it, and also hits the right age demographic for people who have more disposable income now.

Yeah this does seem to be the case. Most of these guys who’ve been around forever have played Gibson’s at various points officially or not.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly did ANYONE see this coming? After numerous reports of troubled artist relations, bankruptcies, lack of innovation and interesting products.... a mass exodus TO Gibson?
Not that surprising to me. Bankruptcy doesn't mean much.

And I also think the "lack of innovation" criticism is far too overplayed. When Gibson did introduce new things (robotuners, adjustable nuts etc), people just accuse them of betraying their roots and say they should just focus on making Les Pauls.

You can also look at their current lineup and there are plenty of Explorers, Vs etc. They've got Korina ones. They've got cool new finishes like the olive drab. There's signature models, vintage reissues, the Murphy lab aged stuff. This idea they don't do anything "different" is just bullshit. Releasing a 27 fret bolt on superstrat wouldn't fit their brand whatsoever.

I do reckon that a big pot of cash is most likely the deciding factor here in getting Mustaine, Morton etc. But still, it's not like Gibson doesn't make absolutely amazing guitars. They look good and sound incredible.

Heafy played a LP custom for years before any endorsements. James and Kirk played Gibson in the early days, and still use them today even with their massive ESP endorsements. Morton also used Gibson to record albums and he has his own private collection of LPs, despite the Jackson endorsement. In Flames used them for their classic albums. Robb Flynn used an Explorer for Burn My Eyes, before the Epiphone endorsement. So evidently, actual famous heavy metal players loved, and still love, to play Gibson guitars. All the "hur dur innovation lol" stuff is just Internet nonsense IMO.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I think most didn't understand my post or perhaps I am failing to understand the replies. I am NOT criticizing Gibson. I am stating facts that Gibson was going through significant issues, was losing an artist a day to ESP because of poor artist relationships and people were openly wondering if Gibson could exist long term and now they seem to be the coolest kid on the block and you almost aren't somebody if you aren't going to Gibson or getting your own model. That's why I asked...did anyone really see this turnabout coming given that their competition is still just as fierce?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think most didn't understand my post or perhaps I am failing to understand the replies. I am NOT criticizing Gibson. I am stating facts that Gibson was going through significant issues, was losing an artist a day to ESP because of poor artist relationships and people were openly wondering if Gibson could exist long term and now they seem to be the coolest kid on the block and you almost aren't somebody if you aren't going to Gibson or getting your own model. That's why I asked...did anyone really see this turnabout coming given that their competition is still just as fierce?

I don't think anyone who is somewhat "in the know" about the guitar industry thought any of what has transpired with Gibson in the last couple decades is surprising. Good and bad.

Gibson's future was never legitimately in question.

Companies have rotating artist rosters, somewhat by design.

They have very, very little direct competition.

Most of the doom and gloom was clickbait or incredibly shallow analysis.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I don't think anyone who is somewhat "in the know" about the guitar industry thought any of what has transpired with Gibson in the last couple decades is surprising. Good and bad.

Gibson's future was never legitimately in question.

Companies have rotating artist rosters, somewhat by design.

They have very, very little direct competition.

Most of the doom and gloom was clickbait or incredibly shallow analysis.

But seeing the quality of ~$1800 Gibsons vs the competition, it seemed believable to me.

... but then I went out and bought a $4800 Gibson.

jahosy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought I remember Mark saying something about an old Jackson model he based it off of. I can’t say I associate the Dominion with anything related to a Tele, that’s an odd one.
The headstock's from Jackson Sweetone, and body shape inspired by the Jazzmaster (think due to Kurt Cobain?) or Jackson Surfcaster.

Meanwhile, am thinking of swapping out the chrome hardwares with gold.. but the FRX does look intimidating lol

IMG_20220806_193406_resized_20220817_020942445.jpg

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
But seeing the quality of ~$1800 Gibsons vs the competition, it seemed believable to me.

... but then I went out and bought a $4800 Gibson.
I bought three "1800 Gibsons" in the last 10 years - actually, one was a 800€ Gibson LP Tribute, and since I'm listing, a 2016 ltd Flying V and a Golden Axe explorer - and they were all fine. I think the QA thing has been blown out of proportion by internet trolls. Incidentally, I bought all of them from the same source (Thomann) which leads me to think the culprit might be retailers unable to screen their inventory.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I bought three "1800 Gibsons" in the last 10 years - actually, one was a 800€ Gibson LP Tribute, and since I'm listing, a 2016 ltd Flying V and a Golden Axe explorer - and they were all fine. I think the QA thing has been blown out of proportion by internet trolls. Incidentally, I bought all of them from the same source (Thomann) which leads me to think the culprit might be retailers unable to screen their inventory.

Man, the golden axe is exactly what I was talking about. I loved the spec, was on the prowl for one, couldn't find one that was without faults and that I liked (mutually exclusive, did find some of one category).

RevelGTR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Once I accepted that Gibsons were just going to have a few cosmetic flaws I really started to appreciate them a lot a more. They always play great and sound amazing in my experience, and that’s really all I need from an old school guitar like that.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Man, that Gibson new shape tease makes me think they're bringing the M series back which would be rad

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Honestly if he goes with Gibson good on him. The Gibson USAs are much more consistent than the USA Made Jacksons I have seen in recent years. I got a couple USA Gibsons around 1,100. An sg and an les Paul special. Good guitars especially for the price and are good work horses.