Edge Zero - II 7 vs. Lo Pro Edge 7.

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by catacryptal27, Feb 10, 2021.

1. catacryptal27

catacryptal27 SS.org Regular

Hi guys!!! Please, a little help here. I recently bought a Ibanez UV70P, and I want to replace its Edge Zero II 7 System with a brand new Lo Pro Edge 7. A friend offered to help me regarding the modding the guitar's cavity, but my question is: which are the standard measures for a Lo Pro Edge 7 to fit în??? Is there somehow that I can get a scheme of that cavity???
    Thank you!!!
    Catalin.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Need is a strong word.

3. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Do you really need to do that? Assuming you have tuning issues, did you absolutely exhaust all the possible tweaks/fixes for your current trem?

4. catacryptal27

Sorry, "want" is more accurate...

5. catacryptal27

I'm not having tunning issues. It's just that I always loved the Lo Pro.

6. jojkett

jojkett SS.org Regular

@catacryptal27 Did you buy it new? Did you get the one with a rosewood fretboard (for 2021)?

7. catacryptal27

It's new, but old stock. 2019.

8. jojkett

jojkett SS.org Regular

Okay so it comes with the panga panga fretboard? Are you happy with it so far? I mentioned in another thread how I've been hunting for a UV7 but I'm considering the UV70P now instead. I also wish replacing the bridge for the lopro would've been easier

9. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

old neck will be narrower and thinner, with a block heel, completely different feel, imo the only comparable thing is the color

Wildebeest likes this.
  10. jojkett

jojkett SS.org Regular

I don't get this now that I've done some reading. The only size diff seems to be the width at the last fret (for which the UV70P is wider) and the radius. The thickness of the UV70P is supposedly the thinnest the original UV ever was? (info from https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types#UV):

Neck type | Years | Scale length | Width at nut | Width at last fret | Thickness at 1st fret | Thickness at 12th fret | Radius
    Wizard-7 (UV70P) | 2011–2021 | 648mm/ 25½" | 48mm | 68mm | 19mm | 21mm | 400mmR/ 15¾"
    (UV70P)
    UV | 1993 | 648mm/ 25½" | 48mm | 65mm | 19mm | 21mm | 430mmR/ 17"
    UV | 1997 | 648mm/ 25½" | 48mm | 65mm | 20mm | 21.5mm | 430mmR/ 17"
    UV | 1998–2002 | 648mm/ 25½" | 48mm | 65mm | 21.5mm | 23mm | 430mmR/ 17"

11. Viginez

Viginez SS.org Regular

only? that will still contribute to a different feel. you have to test it, otherwise you won't know.
    don't only look at the online specs. i once had a uv prestige neck (uv777), that felt huge, despite the specs.
    i think the newer multi piece necks have a more pronounced d-shape, that will contribute to a much different feel.

Wildebeest and jojkett like this.
  12. jojkett

jojkett SS.org Regular

Yeah yeah, you're right, I'm just speculating. There was probably larger variance too with the original UV's, that some necks could be thinner than "spec" where as newer models are probably built in a more automated CNC fashion. But I'll love to try both

13. Ron Head

Ron Head keep calm raise hell

Working out plans to swap a zero for a lo-pro right now ... ; my JCRG2012 is the one , first concern is the position of the studs ( where the knifes make contact ) . Removing the old ones , drill new ones a few milimeters closer to one and other ( filling the old holes with some maple first ) ...
    I've done some crazier things and I believe this can be done aswell ; just love the lo-pro edge that much , it needs to be on this guitar too , make it able to flutter and stay in tune under heavy useage . The zero is nice , if you want light use with it ; the whole technology is great for stability , but sadly not complete enough compaired with what the lo-pro offers me ...
    If it turns out great , I'll have an indo UV in white getting it too :D