Eddie Van Halen has died

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

He did the solo as a favour to Quincy Jones, he always joked that it took 20 mins he did 2 takes and went home and that was it, never got paid or any royaltys for one of the biggest singles of the 80s and one of the most iconic solos ever! Jacksons only comment was apparently I really like the high stuff you do or something like that. I read an interview with Steve Stevens and when he said to Eddie he had played on Dirty Diana (I think its) first thing EVH said to him was, did Michael say he really liked the high stuff?? Haha

2. Celtic Frosted Flakes

Celtic Frosted Flakes SS.org Regular

RIP Eddie.

Whenever i just noodle on the guitar, one of the riffs I often end up playing without thinking about it is Somebody Get Me A Doctor.

shadowlife and USMarine75 like this.
  3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

There was a mention of that in the Runnin' With The Devil book that their ex-manager (Noel Monk) wrote. He said that if EVH would have only allowed him to negotiate a point on that track that it would have made him millions, but Ed was just happy to have gotten the call.

Thaeon and Louis Cypher like this.
  4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

The funny thing about that solo (for me, at least) is that it was my first taste of Eddie's wizardry, and I had just thought it was a cool guitar solo without ever knowing who actually was behind the solo or who also played on Beat It and the rest of Thriller. Few years later, I eventually discovered Eddie was the one behind that solo, and I genuinely couldn't believe it. Not too long after, I discovered that basically almost all of Toto was involved with the recording as well.

Just shows that when you have an album full of stars, it becomes the best selling album of all time.

M3CHK1LLA, Thaeon and budda like this.
  5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I was 3 when that album came out and that song was my JAM until I discovered U2 and Metallica.

zappatton2 and BenjaminW like this.
  6. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

I don't remember the last time someone with this much impact on the music world passed.

I was never a massive Eddie fan, but the impact he had is felt every day, it's as big as Hendrix passing. RIP

sirbuh, USMarine75, BenjaminW and 2 others like this.
  7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Bowie.

USMarine75 and BenjaminW like this.
  8. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Perhaps I should've been more distinct to guitar, dude is at the top with the revolutionaries. But even then his impact on culture is huge.

It just feels odd to go through when they were a pioneer of electric guitar.

Omzig and ArtDecade like this.
  9. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

To me it's much more than Hendrix.

Most people heard the name Hendrix but cant say a single song performed by him... even if they cant pin point Eddie they will for sure know:

- Jump

- Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love

- Dreams

- Panama

- Hot for Teacher

- Eruption

- Your Really Got Me

- Why cant this be love

etc etc

This is on the Music side alone for the "normal" people, Any Metal Head/Rock enthusiast worth of that "status" knows Van Halen either he likes it or not.

Then comes all the rest associated with him:

- Super Strats, sure he didn't invented them but he made them move forward with his own DiY approach.

- Floyd Rose... who knows what Floyd would have been if Eddie didn't made it a Must have, all Floating Trems are Floyd variations.

- Amps... the man "invented" or pushed THE Metal Amp for the masses.

He was a Special One, he will always be a Special One .

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  10. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Eddie totally changed what we play in terms of gear. His tone was always supreme no matter what guitars or amps he was playing. He was a gold standard in good rock tone.

The fact the 5150 became an industry standard for metal is more by accident than anything else, Eddie's search for that crisp and clean distortion sound he was so fond of lead to the 5150, it just so happened to have a tonne more grit in it which made it so popular with metal guitarists. That amp itself is a cultural icon in metal music.

When Eddie was alive, I wonder if he ever pondered how much he had given to the world. I hear he was a very humble guy.

Jeff Berlin was a friend of the VH brothers and was asked to join VH at one point, but declined. I can only imagine how insane it would have been to have a bassist of his level in the band.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

12. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Well, I don't want to go too far down the path of slinging mud at Ed, but it seems there were two sides to Ed: the sweetest guy in the world and the total opposite of that. Sammy Hagar will be the first to tell you it depended on the day and what mood/state Ed was in that would determine that.

Reading Sammy's book, it seems both Ed and Al had zero interest in the business side of things until they saw Sammy negotiating deals and setting up businesses outside of the band and music. Once Ed realized he could have intellectual property rights, he ran with it and wanted to capitalize on everything and anything, which is exactly why no one could offer a product with stripes that even closely resembled the VH stripes without getting sued.

That's really all I want to get into regarding that side of Ed. None of that stuff matters at this point and thankfully, he left us enough music and innovation that that will take precedence over anything else.

Omzig and sirbuh like this.
  13. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

My entire summer of 1984 completely revolved around and consisted of nothing else but the three Van Halen concerts in my area. (yeah they played three nights in a row each to a full house in the biggest venue in town) So sad. RIP Eddie.

zappatton2, sirbuh and Seabeast2000 like this.
  14. Undivide

Undivide SS.org Regular

RIP :(

sirbuh likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

efiltsohg and sirbuh like this.
  16. Bogner

Bogner Rock N' Roll Machine

What a legend in so many ways. Be Well Ed!

sirbuh likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Checked a few days ago to see what the current GW issue was. 40th anni. Check today, and it is "40 guitarists who changed our world!" And guess who is on the cover. Fuck this sucks.

Thaeon, sirbuh and BenjaminW like this.
  18. ijohnh67

ijohnh67 SS.org Regular

so sad when I heard the news
    RIP

sirbuh likes this.
  19. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Oakie Doaky

Haven’t cried since Dimebag. Haven’t touched my guitar today, not up to it. Like everyone here I have my influences and he is one of them. 2020 can lick my gooch.

RIP Ed.

Omzig, NickS and WarMachine like this.
  20. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

And so its started, Gear4Music the only place with the EVH Frankie in stock in the UK have pushed their price up by £200 since yesterday morning