Echorec VS Flashback X4

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sevenfoxes, Dec 7, 2015.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

What's the verdict?

2. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

I would check out the echorec. I really liked belle epoch but i sold it because it has an always on pre amp sound that i just hated not being able to switch. If you want to buy one delay pedal that will end your search for tape sounds its the el capistan.

3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Echorec is an interesting pedal capable of some badass sounds. Only thing I didn't like about it was that the knobs don't have indents, which is kind of a pain when you switch. Only reason I sold it was because I went all digital.

4. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

The TC will be more versatile with options for reverse delay, analog, tape and digital. The Echorec sounds amazing though, possibly the best sounding delay pedal I've heard. I would go with TC.

5. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

I'm not sure if Pro Guitar Shop is running the sale still or not, but I picked up an Alter Ego x4 for $150 recently and it's pretty keen.

Before that I had a regular Flashback and the Catalinbread Echorec. Regular Flashback is pretty great, versatile and the tape delay certainly isn't bad, but it's nowhere near as lush as the echorec.

Now, I will say the Echorec had the closest to natural echorec setting. Where that pedal absolutely failed was when you tried to use it in an effects loop. It has a gain trimpot you could use to try and clean it up but for me, it was either too quiet or it distorted in a very bad way. Into the front of the amp it was fine.

The Alter Ego has two Echorec settings, one super dirty with lots of tape warble and a cleaner one that is more akin to David Gilmour / Pink Floyd pristine tape sounds. Both are pretty useful. All the other vintage echoes sound pretty great and the mod 2290 is pretty awesome. However, if it has a flaw, it is that the 2290 stock setting from the flashback is not present. I'll eventually load up toneprint and make my own pristine 2290 setting, but for the moment I'm doing fine with the stock presets (mainly echorec A, Deluxe Memory Man Chorus and the Petrucci & Steven Wilson toneprints).

If you like having a good variety of high quality delays, the TC stuff is the way to go if you can't afford Strymon / Empress.

6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I had heard stories about TC not supporting the Toneprint pedals with footswitch issues, but bought one anyway.

The switch failed within the thirty day return period, and back it went.

I was hoping that those stories were over, and then a week ago I read another topic on another site about someone who didn't want to hear any TC hate, and no reference to the constant TC footswitch problems, but wanted comments on his brilliant switch replacement job on his *new* Flashback X4 which had just failed.

Fvck that chit. Buy a brand which doesn't have those stories *still* cropping up.

Incidentally, just in case one might be curious about how the internet *must* be amplifying certain complaints, there have been many claims that, say, Behringer plastic stompboxes and their switches will likely fail really quickly, but *never* is there an actual discussion of it having happened. That should put the various TC topics, and TC's refusal to help users caught in that situation, into perspective.

Whichever company you decide to give your money to, and whichever product you buy, good luck!

7. Ibycan7

Ibycan7 SS.org Regular

I happen to like the Flashback X4 cause it allows me to kill the dry signal which works with my Mesa Dual rec. had the FX4 for 2 and half years with no problems, but it is a big pedal remember that. You always hears stories about people liking or disliking something and something going wrong with them, that's just the nature of this business.

8. Kashmir

Kashmir SS.org Regular

I have a Toneczar Echoczar which along with the Caitlinbread Echorec are based off the same effects machine, the Binson Echorec made famous by David Gilmour. If the Caitlinbread is anything like the Toneczar than is will be a beautifully organic delay pedal. I had a TC 4x and it's selling point is the settings and versatility it offers. Ultimately the Toneczar offered a much better tone, but if you need several delay settings with different flavors in one pedal the TC is designed for that.

9. sevenfoxes

Thanks for the responses everyone!

10. sevenfoxes

So i just got the Echorec. I think it's safe to say that this pedal pulled me into another dimension.

Seriously, is there anything this pedal can't do? My only complain't is that It's not stereo.