Ebay trend

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys

I noticed a trend on ebay auctions, whenever I ask the seller a question about the item, there are a couple of users that have no feedback and jack the price up by the hundreds

Are the bidders all the same person?

I dont think they are scammers but the are jacking up their price so they can get a high price on it

Anybody else experience that or notice it?

Wildchild

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it could possibly be that the seller has other accounts and is putting the price up on his own item so that he/she gets more money. Either that or they're getting friends to join eBay and bid to get the price higher.

Either way it's dishonest and just greedy on the sellers behalf :noway:

Nick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
and you wouldnt be pissed off if you had to pay $300 more for an item because of this either would you?

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Ebay is a game, pure and simple. Yes, it's a fantastic resource that allows people to find things they never thought they'd be able to, often cheaper than they expected. However, it's a warzone, things don't always sell for what they're worth, sometimes you'd get half what you expect, sometimes double..and sometimes if you're desperate being underhanded can help. Personally, I always start the auction at the minimum price I'd be happy with, as long as it sells I'm sorted, and I don't have to resort to dirty tactics to get the price I want.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Report it to eBay. Artificially raising a bid is known as 'shilling', and it's against eBay policy. You don't want to buy from guys like this as a) they'll do anything to inflate the price, b) give you a bad experience, and c) possibly run off with your money

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'll address the charges as I was negrepped for it.

My friend was selling a PSP. It was going for stupid low with a few hours left. He asked me to raise it, so I did. He got 150 for it, that's with an assortment of games and all the other crap he spent 300 dollars on. If I didn't bump it up, he'd've gotten maybe like 90. He was hoping for 150.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Market value is market value. If the auction ended at a price that's consistent with market value, the likelihood is it would have gotten there on its own eventually, even without your help.

Personally I never run into issues like that as all my auctions have Buy It Nows and a minimum bid price of what I'd be happy with. People who waste time with games like $1 opening bids or reserve prices are really doing themselves a disservice IMO. I know for a fact a lot of people get turned off of a seller if they even see that nonsense. List a price thats fair and representative of market value and move on, no need to get cute.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, if they get caught I think its completely against eBay rules. :scratch:

:lol: Ebay doesn't give a shit. The higher the price, the bigger the payout they get.

I do it as a cheaper alternative to setting a reserve or setting a higher start price on the auction.(All my auctions start at .99 because of my shill bidding) Most of the items I sell, I don't want to sell for less than X amount of dollars. So when the auction starts, I get my brother to bid up to the amount that I would have set the reserve, or the start price at.

[action=Scott]is a cheap mofo.[/action]

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Ebay doesn't give a shit. The higher the price, the bigger the payout they get.

I do it as a cheaper alternative to setting a reserve or setting a higher start price on the auction.(All my auctions start at .99 because of my shill bidding) Most of the items I sell, I don't want to sell for less than X amount of dollars. So when the auction starts, I get my brother to bid up to the amount that I would have set the reserve, or the start price at.

[action=Scott]is a cheap mofo.[/action]

I can understand why you would do that but have also witnessed auctions like the OP is referring to where the sole purpose of the seller shill bidding is to get the highest $ he can, sometimes they try to get a ridiculous amount over market value when they think the buyer will go that high. I refuse to bid on any auction that I suspect shill bidding and try to report anything that violates ebays listing rules, sometimes they get pulled sometimes they don't. I think if everybody did the same a lot of the deceptive games on ebay would be less attractive.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think if people just used a fucking Buy It Now or minimum bid price thats reflective of market value for the product in question, there would be no need to sit around like a goober and play these sorts of games. I'd just recommend ignoring auctions form morons who play these stupid reserve price/low minimum bid games. It's a complete waste of time and makes no fucking sense.

There's a reason why I've never once in 9 years not had my auction end at the price I wanted. I know the market value, I set a fair price, I don't play stupid games. It really is so simple, unfortunately a huge # of people on eBay are complete idiots.