Eating on the cheap

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by The Atomic Ass, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

If you're on a budget calories for cheap isn't so bad.... better to get it from whole grains than from processed food. Brown rice, barley, quinoa are all pretty nutritious. Finally rice is filling and when you combine it with beans/lentils you get a complete protein. There are so many rice + ____ dishes where you can cook one thing and some rice and you have a whole meal.

2. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

Make shitloads of soups. Veg soup is Cheap and you can add powdered soup to THicken it.

Add your Lentils to it Onion some Taters and maybe carrots few spices. Boom taste explosion.

3. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

First suggestion is good, second, not so much. Government, (aside from being a conspiracy theory), is unstable, and ultimately unreliable.

Now if I can only find a woman to cook for me... Damn that's gonna be tough.

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Potatoes are pretty much the go to poor food.

5. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

I agree with the rice, lentils and the dried beans. Since part of your requirements were not too labor-intensive (in the kitchen anyway) you can get by with canned beans. Making sauces from canned tomatoes is super-easy. I used to get by on $25 a week when I first moved out on my own.

Doing it healthily is not difficult, but you will need to spend more time in the kitchen then you are used too.

Cheap veggies are onions, celery and green peppers and are all very good for you and are usable in just about everything.

6. eclipsex1

eclipsex1 SS.org Regular

First one hasn't failed me yet. Since my truck was effectively stolen from me, I've been relying mostly on my girlfriend for food during the day. I don't cook myself, so I mainly call her and get her to make me something to eat.

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    A big +1 on that!

I greatly suggest you rethink your strategy of not using refrigeration. You can sometimes find some great, HUGELY energy efficient refrigerators on Craigslist. If you don't use a refrigerator/freezer, you are requiring that all your food be in single servings, which will drive up the price. The pennies you'll save on refrigeration will be false economy.

I make a huge pot of some kind of legume every week. A pound of dry black beans or garbanzos (chickpeas) costs less than a dollar, and will make from 6 to 7.5 cups cooked. The energy cost is also fairly small, so you've made three pounds of core protein for about a dollar total.

Once it's cooked, I put it in the fridge, and then put cooled beans/garbanzos into square 8 ounce plastic containers in my freezer. Once the two containers have frozen completely, I twist them like an ice cube tray, pop out the frozen bricks, and put them into a huge plastic ziplock bag in the freezer. I do this over and over until it's all frozen or eaten.

Then I use the beans/garbanzos for whatever recipes I want them for. That cuts down cooking time when I am making dinner. Garbanzos can be made into all kinds of stews/soups, or tossed in the food processor (Goodwill or yard sale for $10) with garlic and cumin for hummus, and so on. If I know I want a particular thing later in the day, I just pull a brick out of the freezer in the morning, and put it into the container it was frozen, leaving it in the fridge to thaw while I'm at work.

Tortillas are super cheap, less expensive than tortilla chips, and keep at room temperature.

----

I like the dig at finding an assistance program. If ever your hunger is greater than your pride, and you can get over your "government = unreliable conspiracy theory" ideology, such programs can help people get on their feet.

----

Which makes me wonder... didn't you just post about putting up a a bunch of recordings, and doing all kind of projects? How are you paying for internet access, and how do you have the time for the recording stuff, when you should be getting a better job?

What's up with that?

8. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Porridge for breakfast. I buy 700g of quick oats for $1.20, lsa (linseed, sunflower and almond meal) for $4 (only use half a Bag per 700g of oats personally and a bag of dried fruit mix. Takes 3 minutes to make breakfast, its healthy and super cheap

9. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Better than I could have said it.

No matter how 'unreliable' or 'unstable' a government is, I have this strange feeling if you qualify for assistance, you'll get a sandwich or two out of them before the economy collapses.

10. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I can only imagine how terrible the government is in assland.

11. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

Pulses are where it's at. Dried beans, lentils etc. will give you a protein source. Brown rice is good, but it pretty much is just carbohydrate - that's ok, but don't think of it as any more than that.

12. The Atomic Ass

Not necessarily. I already cook pasta, and leave the extra on the stove to cool down instead of refrigerating it. (half-pound of pasta and 1 jar of sauce makes 2-3 meals, depending on how hungry I am, and not sticking it in the fridge makes it warm up faster with less tending.)

Heh, if I ever get hungry, I'll go back to not being lazy, and dumpster-diving. Which I'll probably do anyway, as it's a good way to make extra cash.

Those programs are designed to make people dependent. They don't always work, of course, as some people naturally get back on their feet. And, several years ago it was mentioned to me all the info you had to give out just to sign up, which I checked out. WAY too much info they want there. :ugh:

And of course, I'll direct you to the quotation in my sig. :lol:

It's called priorities. :lol: Internet is very affordable, (especially if you're using someone else's), and those recordings were mostly made earlier this year, or last year, using equipment I've owned for a while. Dissonant Perfector was entirely made and recorded in GuitarPro6.

13. The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole SS.org Regular

f you buy a pre-cooked chicken you can get a couple of meals off of that. Strip of the last bits of chicken and put them in a bowl. Afterwards put the bones in a pot of water and simmer it for a couple of hours. Drain out the bones/bits, add carrots, onions, leeks and at the last potatoes. Salt pepper. Bang. Chicken Soup. Can freeze it or eat it with hot bread. \cost effective.

14. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

Packet mi goring, frankfurts, mandarines, milk, muesli, and milo when I'm rewarding myself - my shopping list.

15. Daggorath

Daggorath -.-

Just makes sure food never goes to waste. If you buy vegetables and don't eat them very quick, then make into a soup or whatever and freeze.

Meat is the expensive part, at least in England as a student that means not buying steak, lamb etc. Turkey over here is really cheap for the weight, and when you're just making curry or whatever, it's pretty good.

16. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    AA, you really should avoid just relying on carb-based meals. If you're relying on carbs like pasta and rice, you are setting yourself up for problems.

I think that's the point of most people's advice to you, myself included; they want you not only to eat, but to eat in a way which feeds you sustainably.

When I have time to cook for myself, I wind up cooking all my meals, packing lunch for work, and spending less than $23US a week on food. I also spend about $59 every three months for power, which is all electricity for music, refrigerator/freezer, and stove/oven/microwave. That's less than $30 a week total on food altogether, and includes the occasional chocolate, baked salmon, curried lamb and so on.

Not refrigerating food is idiocy, plain and simple.

Food Illness FAQ - What Is The "Food Temperature Danger Zone?"

So... not lazy, and making less than $100 a week. You need to rethink your priorities, because working 40 hours a week, even at minimum wage, should earn you a bit more. Are you working? You're talking about using a friend's internet as well, which makes me wonder if you're paying for where you live. I hate to assume, but it sounds like you're actually not investing any effort in your own wellbeing... and which doesn't make sense combined with your other assertion, vis a vis the government. It's starting to sound like laziness is actually on the part of any given individual, and that in your case specifically, we can rule out the government having made you lazy.

I've commented before on how certain individuals lack insight, and that others can perceive that lack of insight. This case is sounding like that to me more and more.

"Government makes people lazy."
    "I use a friend's internet."
    "I don't refrigerate food."

I hear this kind of stuff from homeless guys when I give them a fiver. Sure, they maintain they're making it on their own, living off of others while pretending they're not. I've heard all the stuff about being free, not wanting to work for "the man" but willing to accept a handout from "him," instead of getting a fuckin' job.

It's sounding like you've bought your ticket, and are ready to ride off the rails on that particular train. You might want to give that some thought.

Good luck!

17. The Atomic Ass

I do intend to get more than carbs on the list... But they're so damn cheap. :lol:

Question: what kind of tomato has a bit of crunch to it, so that biting into it is crisp, like biting into an apple? I've had exactly 2 slices of such a tomato in my life, the rest of which merely gooshes, which explains my distaste for them.

This entire thread deals not just with the short term, but is also being filtered into my long term plans which preclude the availability of electricity, (due to the complete collapse of society), and as such, refrigeration. I appreciate the concern, though.

My curiosity bothers me, though, what's your KWh usage @ $58/qtr?

I'm pulling a John Galt style of selective laziness. :lol:

I do occasionally bring home more than $100, but it's not predictable or reliable. My 2010 income was about $6,800, so slightly over $100/wk.

I never mentioned who was providing my Internet. I honestly don't know who. Were we to be talking of a per-use type of service such as water, gas or electric, then my use would cost them, (the utility consumer whom I shared with) causing me to be a mooch if I did not reimburse them. Internet is very much a different story, especially here. My apartment complex has un-metered fiber, so everybody has megabits to spare. I maintain a strict policy of not shitting the bed (no torrents), and my browsing does not impact the usability of their service. Morally, I cannot distinguish my use from non-use, given the lack of any negative affect on those paying for said service.

As for living accommodations, cardboard boxes are surprisingly low in rent and spacious these days. :lol:

Being serious for a moment, I signed a 3-year lease in 2008. I paid upfront. When the lease comes up, I'm moving elsewhere, not merely because of money, but due mostly to my distaste for Ohio.

The gear purchases I have in mind are not entirely musically-related, either, some of them are in the vein of purchasing out-right future living accommodations of a modest nature. Those latter are naturally of a slightly higher priority.

A little less concerned on my future I hope? :)

To this day, I've done work for every dollar to grease my palm, (with the exception of birthday money when I was a young child), and I don't intend to change that. But you'll be the first to be informed w̶h̶e̶n̶ if I take a handout. :)

18. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Nuts and pulses such as beans are king for cheap protein. Eggs are good, as well.

By way of veg, just don't bother taking more than a portion of each nutrient. Once you're past what your body needs, it will stop taking in more so you're wasting money if you eat a huge salad bowl full of only greens. Work out how much of each food it takes to obtain all the nutrients you need from it and don't exceed that. Then just fill yourself up with carbs or protein, if you so desire.

19. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

buy some chickens, eat their eggs, when times are tough kill and eat them. Be a real man, kill your own dinner.

20. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Just like Mark Zuckerberg.