Ear Training

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Konfyouzd, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I will probably end up taking lessons at some point, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any good (hopefully free) online resources for learning ear training?

I had a friend once when I worked at a restaurant in college and he would sit at the host podium bobbing his head to non-existent music and writing stuff. And I thought he was writing lyrics. I got up to the podium and he was writing fucking sheet music.

I want to do that so badly.

I have gotten a bit self conscious doing things the ghetto way where I have to find a place far enough away from people that they won't look at me like a crazy person for singing into my phone--especially when what I'm "writing" is in a range well outside of my singing range.

It would be really cool to hear something in my head and "write it down" on the spot the same way I do verbal ideas and I've been playing music long enough that I feel a bit silly not being able to do this.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You're probably going to just have to grind through interval training and a lot of it, unless you're SO familiar with your guitar that you can tell what chord is being played when you think about it, and can do that all the way through the guitar neck. Even then, interval training would probably help.

It unfortunately is something that has to be maintained, I'm pretty out of it at this point. After a year and a half I never really got good at chords with more than two notes, either. :(

XPT707FX and Konfyouzd like this.
  3. Konfyouzd

I was working through chord theory a few years back because a family member suggested I try it out and I got relatively good at hearing very specific chord voicings. Hopefully adding in some interval training can help me to pick out a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion!

We focused a lot more on note choice in my chord theory class and it's amazing how many ways you can reinterpret a musical situation in just choosing pitches--not even considering cadence.

4. bcboz

bcboz SS.org Regular

FILTHnFEAR and Konfyouzd like this.
  5. Konfyouzd

bcboz likes this.
  6. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

Konfyouzd likes this.
  7. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

You can browse SSO or be a better musician. But a day can’t accommodate both.

8. Konfyouzd

Who pissed in your cornflakes today? Go walk that shit off man.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    USMarine75 likes this.
  9. luciformheart

luciformheart SS.org Regular

There are some apps (on iOS) like Quiztones and Play By Ear that I've used, if you haven't checked those out already.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  10. Konfyouzd

I'll try that out.

The Beato guy's video above was pretty helpful. I was actually able to hear / sing more of the tones than I thought I would.

Some of those voicings I definitely need to practice a lot, though. He started to lose me.

11. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

If you want to improve your ear, replace the SSO habit with ear training. If, in a few months, you are either satisfied or dissatisfied with your progress, check your logged ear training hours against the logged SSO hours. It will reflect your feelings. This can also be applied to improvements in fitness, interpersonal relationships, disposable income, knowledge of how guitars work and compare to one another, and any standard of living. SSO is not conducive to anything but guitar sales. If you have differing goals, don’t put that time into a community advocating GAS as a virtue.

12. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

That MIGHT be good advice... if you weren't posting it on the board you're trashing. :shrug: It also makes might be better received if it was less condescending and not full of assumptions.

13. Dwellingers

Dwellingers SS.org Regular

Perfect Pitch and Relative Pitch by David Burge are great - but not cheap :(

Konfyouzd likes this.
  14. Konfyouzd

That's nicer than I would have said it. I've also learned quite a bit about music here, otherwise I wouldn't continue to ask. I should clearly just stop going to work and talking to other musicians about music bc some guy who has just as much time to shit talk on the same board he tells me not to post on says so...

Logic.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    MerlinTKD likes this.
  15. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

I’ll roll it in sugar for you this time: All you’ve volunteered about how you apportion your free time is that you log on to SSO every day. Therefore, when you find yourself browsing SSO in your leisure time, ask yourself if you’d rather be working on ear training at that moment. It’s that simple, you’ll be aware of where that time went, and associating your progress with a cost-benefit choice between two leisure activities will make you feel more productive. I am not advocating you work on singing different intervals while you dick around on messageboards at work. That way, you can still peruse NGDs to test the wisdom of your employer’s decision to promote you, and commit stacked triads to memory at home. Daddy loves you. :wub2:

16. Konfyouzd

Dude... Go fuck yourself. At this point you're just derailing an otherwise productive thread to be a cunt because apparently that sort of thing gets you off.

I post on SSO while I'm at work. I bet that's so different from the rest of the people here. Again, you make a bunch of stupid assumptions just trying to be "right on the internet". Big goals.

You're barely even addressing the topic. All I asked is what sources other people use for ear training so that I could try them out and you turned this into "You need to spend your time differently."

Matter of fact, enough people have been helpful and I appreciate those who were.

Lock, please. :locked:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Jason B and USMarine75 like this.
  17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Konfyouzd likes this.
  18. Konfyouzd

Apparently I should just hit up Rick Beato for music lessons in general. :lol:

I only recently found out about him through this place.

USMarine75 likes this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Rick Graham and Andy James also give online/skype lessons.

I said this in another thread somewhere...

Best advice I ever got was to say the name of the note in your head as you play it, while you sing along to the note.

Then work one week with just the root and the P5 (play root then the 5th). Work your way vertically and horizontally across fretboard using the major scale. Next week, do the same with M3, then m3. Then M3 and m3. Then work on the lesser harmonies like 7ths, 6ths, and 2nds. Lastly those shitty 4ths lol. Take your time. Don't try and play through all the intervals at once. Just work a week with M7. Then work a week with m7. Then try a week playing between the two.

This also works if you know CAGED system. You can play your CAGED notes but add the 5th or whatever target harmony. Sing the note and say in your head the note name.

You can also make little songs up with just diads like the 6ths (hey look now you're Brad Paisley! J/K). Do the same with m7 or M7 (jazz/blues level complete).

The next step would be playing chords. Play a M7 chord and a m7 chord, switching over and over again. Do the same between the major and M7 chords, and the minor and m7 chords to hear that relationship. You'll start to recognize that subtle characteristic that the 7th adds. Make up some jams... e.g. I-V-vi-IV (A-Major - E7 - F#m7 - D7).

Your ears/brain will eventually recognize the harmonies and you'll develop relative pitch. You may not be able to hear a note and tell me oh that's a 440Hz A, but given any two notes you'll be able to confidently know that was a M3, and you'll be able to recognize chords as well.

tl;dr guitar practice isn't just about fingering all day long, you have to train your ears and mind as well. YMMV

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    luciformheart and Konfyouzd like this.
  20. Konfyouzd

There are a handful of intervals I feel like I "know" by feel rather than being able to call them out and I just use them far too much and I'm getting bored with my ideas. It's not so much that I just noodle all day but there definitely are days like that. :lol:

I've just been really lazy with any sort of musical study bc I've been cramming my brain with lots of new bits at work. Figured talking ab it might get me hyped up enough to jump back in.

I took chord theory lessons a few years back so I can hear the m7 and M7 voicings pretty well because that was the first the teacher went over.

I like the approach you suggested. It's pretty similar to the way I learned alot of other things.