E530 Preamp vs POWERBALL | ENGL COMPARISON

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hi Sevenstringers! I did another demo / comparison with my Engl E530 and my Powerball. This time the E530 is running through the poweramp section of the Powerball and then into A Two Notes Torpedo Captor. Works well! I also did a full track where you can hear the difference in a mix.

I am pretty happy with the mix - I especially like the sound I got out of the E530 through the Poweramp. Much better than trying to simulate a poweramp in a DAW. I also got some better drum sounds - I spend a bunch of time reading up on drum mixing while doing these, so hopefully you will find those better than in my older demos :)

2. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

The Powerball sounded darker and I'd say almost muddy compared to the e530

Sumsar likes this.
  3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah I agree. But apparently there is nothing wrong with the poweramp section of the powerball, and it works very well with the E530. I guess that maybe all the Engl poweramps are similar in design, because it works so well together. Through other poweramps the E530 sounds a bit thin, but here it works well.
    Also I think the clean channel of the Powerball worked better for me in this.