E standard tuning 9s or 10s?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Willyjacksonjs22-7, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Willyjacksonjs22-7

Willyjacksonjs22-7 Banned

I been playing 9s and I was wondering if moving to 10s will make the tone on the low E string more tight for Metallica type tones? Or just stick with 9s and keep tweaking?

2. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

For E Standard I like Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys, which are 9-46. The wound strings are like what is traditionally included with 10s, the plain strings are like what you would get in a pack of 9s. You retain the easier fretting and bending on the plain strings with thicker wound strings that have less give.

mark domestic bliss likes this.
  3. Mike_R

Mike_R SS.org Regular

If you are looking for strings for a 7, I run the setup that comes on the Keith Merrow signature guitars, which is an Ernie Ball 9-46 with a 62 for the low B.

4. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Do what feels fine for you.

I have been playing for ~15 years now and I have been on both sides of the spectrum: Lighter strings feel and play better, medium do, thicker do.

Right now it came to pass that I settled on the heavier end for the last years and I am doing very fine with that (11-49 on E Standard 6, 11-64 on Bb-Standard on a 26.5 inch 7).

It all comes down to how you feel playing it. Soundwise string gauge makes such a tiny difference that 99% of all players won't ever notice. Nobody can tell me otherwise.

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Pick up a set of 10s and a 9-46 set and see if either one works better for you than your current 9s :shrug:

D'addario also makes a 9.5-44 set if you want to get all the in-betweens too. Take an afternoon and compare the sets on your guitar, then you'll know what you like best moving forward.

budda likes this.
  6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I use 9s but swap the 42 for a 44 for a more balanced tension. It makes riffing on the low E tighter and easier since it isn’t moving as much.

AkiraSpectrum and bassisace like this.
  7. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I suck with 9s, I always get the feeling it goes a little out of tune and I don't like easy bends.
    Tried hybrids 9-46 but meh.
    So in the end I've been playing with 10-46 for years and years

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

All about them 10-52s.

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Came here to say that. I just started using them so I can do E Standard and have enough at the button to go Drop D, and 10 - 52 had worked great. 10 - 62 for 7 strings.

10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Tune the 9s up to F# standard - that's how 10s will feel in E. If you prefer F standard, get 9.5s.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

This is the answer

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I was shown 10-52 when i kept snapping 46s in standard on my first LP :lol:.

Ralyks likes this.
  13. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Just as two additional data points:I currently use:
    Code:
    *** Kalium 11's w/ Wound 3rd
    E4 .011" CKPL == 19.71#
    B3 .015" CKPL == 20.56#
    G3 .022" CKWN == 21.15#
    D3 .027" CKWN == 22.25#
    A2 .037" CKWN == 22.52#
    E2 .051" CKWN == 23.46#
    total == 129.64#

Last time I had 9's on:
    Code:
    *** Circle-K Smallest Wound 3rd
    E4 .009" CKPL == 13.19#
    B3 .013" CKPL == 15.45#
    G3 .021" CKWN == 17.45#
    D3 .025" CKWN == 18.09#
    A2 .033" CKWN == 18.2#
    E2 .045" CKWN == 18.53#
    total == 100.91#
    I'm a big fan of progressive tension. It keeps the plains from getting cheese-slicer tight/twangy and the basses from getting flubby.

14. Sebastian O'Brien

Sebastian O'Brien SS.org Regular

Strings are gonna be a complete feel type scenario, it's down really to your muscles and tactile sense versus your ear and emotional output. That's the real tweaking.
    Essentially (aside from if your instrument can take your set up choice) it needs to feel good to your hands.

There's a great 'Rick beato' vid chalked 'am I using the wrong strings' they go right down to 8s for standard tuning and compare between guages and players up to 11s. They bring up stevie ray vaughn who predominantly used 10s etc etc.

It's all in the hands man. Enjoy the journey

Sermo Lupi and XPT707FX like this.
  15. Sebastian O'Brien

Sebastian O'Brien SS.org Regular

If however you are a heavy palmer, you gotta lotta equipment available to aid you, noise gates, boost pedals/tube screamers, compressors.
    Thicker strings will be bassier, which reduces tightness (in tone) but the feel of them will have more resistance, eg they won't fly up and down the fret board as you try to catch your next BPm.

16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

get the ones that feel better to you

also guitar strings are cheap AF, if you wondering "which should I buy", then go and buy them. Its like 6$ in the US for a pack. You spend more in macdonals meal

I dont know why is even a matter to ask the question for it. "9's or 10's?"...seriously? just go get both and play them

XPT707FX likes this.
  17. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

09-46 that's what I use for E or Eb and even for D

18. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I'm not a regular watcher but I was going to mention Rick's video as well. I wasn't aware that 8s were the common string gauge prior to the 1980s, or that SRV popularised the "heavy strings = tone" debate. I always thought lighter gauges came with the 80s shred era, and thus why Yngwie played 8s. In truth it was really the opposite. Yngwie's string gauge is probably yet another example of his musical conservatism (along with his vintage guitars, amps, and whatever else).

I've used 10-46 for most of my life. Experimented a bunch when I started out and didn't know what I was doing before settling on 10s once I learned how to do my own setups and didn't want to constantly tinker with action and intonation.

I have considered switching to 9s recently. I think people get the perception that certain gauges suit certain styles of playing, or that touring musicians choose a certain gauge for 'performance reasons' when in reality it has a lot more to do with going easy on their guitar techs and/or isolating one of the variables causing guitar neck instability while on tour.

On that note, I watched a Paul Gilbert Rig Tour where he mentioned that he frequently switches between 9s and 10s (and sometimes 11s) depending on how much he's been playing recently and how strong his hands feel. One of the few times I've seen a player talk about it like it isn't set in stone.

There's no reason to be married to any particular string gauge, IMO. Technique is fluid, you can always adjust.

19. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Steve Vai mentioned the same on a video interview (its on YT somewhere) that he started the Tour with 9's but ended it with 10's since the fingers Muscles are stronger around Mid tour.

Sermo Lupi likes this.