Dune

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by StevenC, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It was impressive and the music did a good job of bringing the size and gravity of the situations. I was recently re-reading the book and had it quite fresh. The movie of course can't go on too much detail and be exactly as the book or it would have been like 12 hours long lol. So I can understand some short cuts. I just feel some of the background characters, especially Dr. Yueh, were skimmed over quite a bit. Probably for the surprise element and keeping the movie pace but still they could have given him a bit more time. Plus the smuglers were not introduced at all and the dining at scene before the attack by the Harkonnen would have put a lot of things in perspective.
    I haven't seen the Lynch version and can't compare and even though my comments seem negative, as I said I was reading the first book recently, I enjoyed the movie a lot. My wife and I were in awe and it did manage to pull us into the world of Dune. I can't wait for the second part.

Dumple Stilzkin and iamaom like this.
  2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I think they wanted to emphasize more the brutal part of Rabban. Even though in the book he seems to follow his uncle's footsteps in terms of weight, it would not translate as much in the movie. Even though they have combined Rabban's character with the commander the Baron had appointed. Again a lot of details that would have been lost in the movie.

Hollowway likes this.
  3. IwantTacos

IwantTacos SS.org Regular

The only thing I had trouble explaining to my wife just in terms of what was explained in the movie...

the emperor gave dune to the atreides because he assumed they'd fuck up and not be able to produce enough spice.

but then he has the harkonnen's attack them after they've been on the planet for like 2 days?

that's some 5th dimensional chess.

4. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Xaios and Hollowway like this.
  5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I haven't read the book, so what WAS the rationale there? Like, I assume it was way longer than a couple of days?

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire neuken in de keuken

it's a timespan over like a year or more in the books. The whole book spans multiple years

Hollowway likes this.
  7. IwantTacos

IwantTacos SS.org Regular

iirc the harkonnens plan the attack for a long time and they get the go ahead from the emperor since the atreides are doing a pretty good job on dune.

Hollowway likes this.
  8. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

both Atreides and Harkonnens were getting too powerful... Atreides were too popular because Oscar Isaac was sexy as hell and an all around great guy so he collected fans & followers everywhere he went, Harkonnens were getting too rich because they had the spice fields for almost a century

he took advantage of their mutual hatred to have the Harkonnens wipe out the Atreides while also putting a huge dent in the Harkonnen finances and army.. removing two threats to his rule while hardly getting his hands dirty. As far as he knows any witnesses died so the whole thing cost him nothing

Hollowway likes this.
  9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It was a bigger time span than two days but the attack from the Harkonnen happened relatively quickly. Maybe a few months passed.

The Emperor wanted to get rid of the House Atreides as it was trying to have the other Houses united to be able tonfend of the Emperor controlling them. It seemed Leto was a good strategist. They expected it was a trap but they were hoping to fortify themselves economically with spice production and getting the Fremen to work for them.

10. Leaviathan

Leaviathan SS.org Regular

They should have kept Sting and a couple others out of it until they graduated Drama School

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Yeah, I understood why, I just wasn’t sure why he decided to have the Harkonnen attack them. I assumed he grew impatient of waiting for them to fail naturally, but I wasn’t sure. But I get the back story, based on your guys’ responses.

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The plan was to attack them from the beginning, not wait for them to fail naturally. The Harkonnens hated the Atreidis with a passion and the Baron wanted to give Leto a feeling that he might succeed. He wanted to crush him completely before he killed him. That is shown somewhat in the movie but it is a lot more intense in the book, as well as the planning.
    They did rush it in the movie and should have shown there was a span of time they Atreidis were trying to turn things around.
    But the Harkonnen didn't leave them a lot of time.

Hollowway likes this.
  13. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

FYI for anyone binging the older versions like me, the SciFi Dune miniseries is on Youtube in three episodes:

14. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular Contributor

Yup, this is the correct explanation — I did read the book. My even shorter summary of the why:

Atreides were too popular—i.e., a natural threat to the emperor. The emperor wanted plausible deniability.

nightflameauto and Hollowway like this.
  15. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular Contributor

I believe the movie was well done. I'm also looking forward for the last part of the movie to be released.

However, Dune is indeed a very difficult book to translate to film. Every sentence in the book accomplishes three tasks: (1) advances the plot, (2) expands the geographical/ecological context, (3) expands the religious/political context. Those tasks serve a goal: to build a new and very tangible universe for the reader.

Some filmmakers use background narration when trying to translate a complex book; but, such narrations usually fail in films.

As an example of all the missing context that is difficult to translate to film, without silly background narrations: Has anyone in this thread asked why is it that a civilization that has conquered the Milky Way, and space travel from any corner of the Milky Way, is fighting with fucking swords?! There is a very concrete and plausible answer in the book, that failed to translate to the three movie attempts.

odibrom likes this.
  16. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 spec queen simp Contributor

I, for one, welcome the actual Butlerian Jihad.

Xaios and nightflameauto like this.
  17. Hollowway

Yeah, I think the movie did a great job of explaining it. I'd say it was better than the first one in terms of explanation. That's why my wife liked this one so much, and hated the first one so much. In retrospect, I think the 1984 film was too David Lynchian, and that got in the way of the plot a bit. The 2021 film was full of famous actors, but every character was played low-key, and let the story do the work. (With the exception of the Baron, but that's kind of a given.)

18. Hollowway

OK, now I'm asking, lol. I assumed it had something to do with those force fields, and the fact that bullets, lasers, etc couldn't penetrate them. But what does the book suggest?

StevenC likes this.
  19. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

The movie showed us literal magic in like the second sequence, then it showed us force fields. Why do we need more explanation?

20. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I probably agree with your point overall, but not the example:

"The slow blade penetrates the shield."

Then you just have to ask yourself whether bullets are fast or slow. And then observe that these shields are pretty universally worn among the "civilized" people to infer the rest.

StevenC likes this.