Dune

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by StevenC, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

This film was amazing! I can’t wait for part 2 and hopefully part 3.

Crash Dandicoot and StevenC like this.
  2. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Chungstin is my favorite element.

I really enjoyed the first part. It’s on HBOMax, but I’m probably going to go see it in the theater, the music and moody atmosphere should be even more awesome.

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

is IMAX in your area? I've heard this is one where it's worth it.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    PLEASE, NO SPOILERS!... :D

5. Dumple Stilzkin

Our IMAX went tits up long ago sadly. It didn’t help that the seats were wooden with no padding. So for a skinny guy like me, I only went once.

6. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 spec queen simp Contributor

I missed the boat here...Eternals has seemed to take over the Imax and CINE 1.

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Ugh... I want to watch this so bad. But there's no longer any movie theaters here, the closest one is a 10 hour drive away, and Warner Bros in their infinite wisdom have elected to not offer it on any streaming platforms in Canada.

Argh.

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  8. Dumple Stilzkin

It might be worth it to take a couple days and take a little vacation to go see it. Either that or stream it. I really liked it.

odibrom likes this.
  9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Yea, I'm actually a fan of the quirkiness of the Lynch version, but you actually don't get much of an understanding of the broader conflict and politics in that one. And in that sense it loses a lot of the greater meaning. So far, that's come across a lot better in the new one.

One of the only things I didn't think was as well done was the box/Gom Jabbar test. I love the way they did that scene in the original and it just didn't seem nearly as tense here.

ElRay, Dumple Stilzkin and Hollowway like this.
  10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

For sure. My wife HATED the original, because she said she didn’t know what TF was going on. This one explained it much better, and she really liked this one. But it wasn’t too overbearing in terms of explaining it. I hate when movies do that - especially when a character goes into a huge history soliloquy that’s ostensibly a conversation with another character, but is painfully obvious that it’s just for the benefit of the viewer.

ElRay and Dumple Stilzkin like this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Even with Melbourne just coming out of a 3 month lockdown, Dune won't be screening until December, and it's IMax exclusive. So I'm stuck waiting another month...

Though my flim crew are planning to see it in IMax the same way we did Tenet last year. But seriously the wait is killing me. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  12. Dumple Stilzkin

I am a fan of the original too, but it is messy and hard to follow. But it has many many redeeming features that make it IMHO a classic. I totally agree with you about the box scene not being as good as the original. But what they've done with explaining the plot in the remake won me over pretty damn quick. Plus I thought the soundtrack was well done. I will deduct a few points for it not featuring ANY chapman stick action whatsoever.
    [​IMG]

ElRay likes this.
  13. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

The David Lynch version is a lot like Kubrick's 2001 - a great visual, if you know the book.

14. Empryrean

Empryrean Constantly Gassing

I’ve never seen dune and got it confused with Holes in my head. My SO and I were watching it tonight and I was so confused. I remember I saw Holes at quite a young age but I didn’t think my memory was that bad :lol:

Hollowway and Dumple Stilzkin like this.
  15. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Yeah, the box scene was pretty flat in the new film. In the book it's so much about what's happening inside the box that I'm not exactly sure how they can convey it without it coming across flat. It's only action is literally him putting his hand in the box. Then it's a whole bunch of words describing pain and heat. Then it's over. So, skip over the pain and heat and you get the scene in the new movie.

The original did do a much better job of building tension by having the description literally spelled out for us.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  16. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I didn't go to the theeter because Covid, but my buddy and I did have a Dune party at his house with his big huge TV and HBOMax (My condolences @Xaios ). I brought gummy worms and spiced apple cider because jokes. Overall it was awesome, I haven't been really excited for a new movie in a long damn time so this was a really great experience. I love how HUGE absolutely everything is.

I also agree regarding the box scene - it was not at all clear what was happening in the box and seemed like it may be confusing/anticlimactic to someone who did not already know, whereas when I saw the miniseries (never saw the Lynch version) as a young teen it was very clear what was happening/what he was hallucinating.

My buddy told me they didn't start filming the next one til this one was out, so I guess I've got time to finally read the book and watch the Lynch version.

17. Dumple Stilzkin

October 2023 is the tentative release date. So you’ve got time.

18. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike Contributor

I watched it on a plane last night. I had no knowledge of Dune at all going into it. I thought it was pretty good but I thought they could've given a bit more back story on the universe to start it off.

19. IwantTacos

IwantTacos SS.org Regular

i loved it. i wish more studios would allow this approach these days. shit happens. explain nothing. it's still good. yay.

Hollowway and Dumple Stilzkin like this.
  20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Anyone have any idea why they went in such a drastically different direction with Rabban in this one? I mean, I'm glad they did, because I found the 1984 character so disgusting I don't even want to watch the screen with him on it, lol. It's like Fat Bastard showed up in Dune or something.