Duncan or DiMarzio - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Iron1, Dec 10, 2019.

SD or DMZ?

1. Seymour Duncan all day

48 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. DiMarzio is the way

51 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

It seems like Seymour Duncan has the most popular line of pickups out there, but I've often wondered if that's more a product of the company's intelligent marketing scheme vs Dimarzio's "build 'em and they will come" approach.

If you could only chose one or the other which would you go with and why?

Attached Files:

2. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

I choose Duncans mostly because of I like their pickups more, but also because I don't want to give money to DiMarzio until they remove their double cream humbucker trademark.

Also I'm not a fan of DiMarzio brass baseplates, however minimal the perceived effect is - it reeks of cost cutting

Emperoff and Zhysick like this.
  3. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

So far I prefer the sound of DiMarzios (CrunchLab, LiquiFire, Titans, D-Activators...) over SD (Nazgûl...). Although I recently got a Jackson with Blackouts and boy, are they nice for hi-gain stuff.

SD might be a bit pricier but to me they gain a lot of points for easy to find wiring diagrams, and overall they're easier to mount than DM's (softer wires, quality of screws and threads).

4. Choop

Choop n______n

There are some nice sounding Dimarzios for sure, but I'm generally a bigger fan of Duncans overall. Giving more pickup options to metal players in recent years has been really cool of Duncan, too.

decoy205 likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

I have no real brand loyalty when it comes to pickups. There's pickups I really like from both brands (dsonic/dominion/liquifire/illuminator/alpha omega/custom 5 and 59 neck) and pickups I absolutely detest (x2n/invader/parallel axis distortion). I mean I guess if I HAD to choose one brand, I'd go dimarzio, purely based off the fact that they tend to make way better neck pickups for shredding.

XPT707FX and LeoLmX like this.
  6. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

They both have more than enough options that satisfy me. However, since most of my guitars are routed for Dimarzio's to be direct mounted, it sorta limits the SD options. I did route one body deeper to fit the SD's but they aren't direct mount.. they have those stupid ears for pickup rings and screws that protrude from the bottom of the pickup. which is why the cavity had to be routed deeper.

SD needs to catch up to 2020 and redesign their pickups to be direct mounted. Personal opinion, of course.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

A lot of guitars have direct-mounted SD pickups though, notably the Schecter KM-6, and my Premium RG has one that fits well in the bridge pickup cavity since the stock pickups have square tabs. The triangular tabs on DiMarzio pickups is one of the few things I dislike about direct-mount Ibanez guitars because they only allow to fit DiMarzio pickups (and BKP if it's a 7-string) unless you modify the tabs of most pickups or cut some wood for extra space in the routing.

aesthyrian likes this.
  8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Duncan's "neck pickup problem" is that, almost regardless of what "set name" a neck pup is from, it's actually just a 7.2-8.0k PAF wind. A lot of em are actually specced identically, especially considering Duncan's +/- ~5% winding accuracy

Exceptions: Distortion/BW.

9. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Whatever they do, I absolutely love a Duncan neck pickup in a 22 fret guitar.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I like and own pickups from both Dimarzio and Duncan. Both make good pickups, and both make pickups I don't like (even though other players may love them).

I will say I think Dimarzio has better customer service and Dimarzio's tend to be less-expensive for the majority of their pickups--Duncans are pretty expensive, even for their standard/popular pickups.

With that being said, I do own more Duncan pickups than Dimarzio's, but that is more of a function of a vareity of factors, like certain vibes I'm going for with a particular instrument that I'm looking to upgrade.

At the moment I'm not looking to upgrade any pickups in my guitars; however, if I ever want to in the future I will likely go to Dimarzio first.

wakjob and XPT707FX like this.
  11. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

12. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

duncans for that palm mute chunk

13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Is it just me or has that logo alone turned off more customers than they ever made sales???

It looks like a short exhibitionist in mediocre shape is trying to offer you a handy

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Both are good, and I think having a pickup that's voiced towards what you're looking for matters more than the brand that makes it, be it Duncan, Dimarzio, Bareknuckle, whoever.

15. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

If it didn’t put people off before... it does now!!!

16. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Gun to my head, I'd pick Duncan.

...and then still probably switch back to EMG once this weird hypothetical guitar-obsessed gunman is gone.

wakjob, hensh!n and aesthyrian like this.
  17. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I like more DiMarzios than Duncans.
    I also like the Duncans that I like more than the DiMarzios that I like, though; so it's kind of a wash. There's too many good pickups out there for brand loyalty lol.

AkiraSpectrum and XPT707FX like this.
  18. LeoLmX

LeoLmX I like turtles.

I feel that too. Although I prefer Seymour Duncan for the better bridge options, Dimarzio seems to have better neck pickups for leads and stuff, the Sentient is the only one that comes to my mind on the Seymour Duncan side and they seem sterile for those liquid Petrucci leads.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

the sentient is the absolute worst neck pickup for liquidy leads. It's just nowhere near smooth enough for that kind of sound. The 59 neck or alnico II pro are much better for that kind of stuff.

20. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Most of my guitars have Dimarzio pickups installed, but I like other brands and models for different sounds.

My main 6 string has a Dominion bridge and Gravity Storm neck, and that's the way it's going to stay until that guitar is buried with me. I'm still hunting for my perfect 7 string bridge pickup, but the Bare Knuckle VH-II neck is untouchable IMO.

AkiraSpectrum and Masoo2 like this.