Duncan 59 with more mids?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by surprisedpikachu45, Sep 25, 2020.

1. surprisedpikachu45

surprisedpikachu45 SS.org Regular

I have a JB and a 59 at the moment in the bridge of my 2 guitars, I like the dynamics of the 59 and the mids (honk) of the JB.

I don't like the compression on the JB, it sounds almost the same no matter how hard or soft you pick, those dynamics are the part i really love about the 59, I assume it is because it is lower output.

And on the 59 I don't like how it is totally scooped, it lacks body and authority because of it.

So I was thinking, is there something like the 59 but with the mids of the JB?

thanks

2. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Pearly Gates, aii pro, or Whole Lotta Humbucker

none of them are mid forward the way a JB is (no PAF type humbucker is) but they are less scooped than a 59

edit: I misread and thought you wanted a neck pickup, my recommendation here is actually a Custom or 59/Custom. Pearly Gates would likely still work though.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    surprisedpikachu45 and Zhysick like this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

You could try the Custom 5 (SH14). Is not mid heavy or honky like the JB, but there is some going on in the mids. It's quite mid-scooped but it's very thick and musical, really sings.

I would say is a hotter and more powerful version of the 59 BUT not as compressed as a high output could get. Well, it's not really high output anyway...

surprisedpikachu45 likes this.
  4. Choop

Choop n______n

SH-5 Custom! It's described as a "PAF of steroids" and that's pretty much what it is. Like the Custom 5 but more mids than that one, and definitely not as much as the JB. I have the Custom and '59 combo in my SG and they pair really well together.

Zhysick likes this.
  5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I have in one guitar the SH5 and in another the SH14 and, while I like a lot more the SH5 (ceramic Custom) because it is thicker, more powerful, tighter in the low end department AND crispier also it is much more compressed than the Custom 5 so, if compression is a concern for OP, then I would suggest the Custom 5 over the Custom

BUT

Take one thing into consideration: the custom 5 is one magnet swap away of the Custom so, if you get a Custom and you find it a bit too compressed or "modern" (because of the ceramic magnet) you can swap the ceramic magnet with the alnico5 magnet you have in the JB, on the other hand, the JB with the ceramic magnet will be a VERY GOOD improvement as it will get tighter, clearer, less honky in the mids and I would not say less compressed but much more balanced in all frequencies so it is just a better pickup :lol:

Maybe getting a Custom and, if needed, swapping magnets could be a master move...

6. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

Could try swapping mags in the 59. An A8 magnet should give more mids. It'd be an interesting and cheap option to try.

Themistocles and budda like this.
  7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

You might try out an A2 or A1 magnet, but I doubt they would add enough mids to match the JB. Worth a shot for a cheap change in flavor, though.

If you're open to other brands, I would also check out the Dimarzio PAF Pro and Gravity Storm neck. The Pro is a slightly hotter PAF style pickup with nice upper mid presence and glassy attack. The Gravity Storm is warmer overall, but has mids for days and is still very articulate. I'd say go with the Pro in a darker guitar and the GS in a brighter guitar.

As for the bridge, I had a BKP Rebel Yell in one of my guitars for a while and it seemed like a kind of refined/perfected JB. Still a lot of mid presence, but focused more on the upper mids to keep from getting muddy. Not as much output as a JB, but that helps with dynamics and keeps the low end from blooming out as much. All-around great pickup; I'd definitely own one again.

8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Pearly Gates or Screamin Demon ... not quite as middy as JB, but less scooped than 59

9. surprisedpikachu45

thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

10. surprisedpikachu45

i've narrowed it down to the 59/Custom hybrid and Pegasus, and maybe the Screamin Demon

Adieu and Zhysick like this.
  11. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I would go 59/Custom of that list

Adieu and Choop like this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wasn't the Perpetual Burn meant to be a lower output, more dynamic JB?

13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Yup...A2 or A4 magnet in the '59 will raise those dipped PAF style mids.