Dump the Triple Rec for a Rockerverb?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Thaeon, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I love the Triple Recto. Especially on recordings. But it doesn't quite have a sharp enough transient, and is absolutely outclassed volume wise next to my Rivera Knucklehead. The Rivera can't be played quietly at a low enough volume to not piss off the neighbors and sound good. It has everything I like about the Recto except the girth, and doesn't have the round transients. I play in a post metal band along the lines of Cult of Luna. Noticed they use the above mentioned amp. Currently just feeling the idea out and noticed that they both go for around the same second hand.

narad likes this.
  2. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

I would personally try out an EQ in the loop before moving on. I am biased too because I could never bond with my TV50 and Orange amps in general. My TV50 was not meant for playing at low volumes. It was way fizzier then the recto when the volume was not cranked enough.

3. Thaeon

I love the Recto. It's not necessarily a tone thing. And I'm not looking to pull low mids out. I actually don't like the feel of a boosted Recto. Not looking for a more "Modern" sound. Just a little more pick attack to the note, and Recto is quiet by comparison to my Rivera. The Rivera is literally painful if you get it up to 2 on the master. I've played some loud amps in my 26 years of playing guitar. The Rivera is by FAR the loudest.

4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If you want a more Recto/SLO-ish Orange i would grab a Dual Dark, not a Rockerverb. Channel A is glorious imo.

Gmork likes this.
  5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

A Triple Rec is not loud enough you say? Have you had your ears checked? :lol:

6. Thaeon

Not looking to replace it with something like it really... The Knucklehead does enough of the Recto/SLO thing for me to not really miss the Recto. I also need pristine cleans.

7. Thaeon

I'm trying to go deaf.

In all seriousness though, I wear ear protection. The Rivera just has more of everything the Mesa has and doesn't have some of the things I don't like.

8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Might I suggest a 5150 III then?

Crystalline cleans; can be dialed to sound massive, yet precise with lots of attack on notes with either the blue or red channels.

9. Thaeon

Nope. The Rivera can do that sort of sound already and I don't set it like that. I want to blend two different types of sounds.

10. Thaeon

I'm also just rather unimpressed by the whole 5150/6505 sound in general. I've never liked it much.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

You mentioned not liking the Rectifier boosted, but have you tried it with a full-range clean boost like an EHX LPB-1 or MXR Micro Amp, or with an EQ pedal to goose some extra top end attack? It's a bit of a different feel and overall tone compared to a regular setup of an overdrive set as a clean boost like an 808, SD-1, etc.

I've never tried a Rockerverb, so I can't really speak for how it would compare. Is there a store or friend around you where you could try one out?

What cabinet are you playing the Rectifier through? It could be worth it to try a new mix of speakers if your existing cab is neutral-to-dark sounding. Some V30s to add mids/raspiness, T75s for more bite and punch, etc.

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Have you retubed the power section of the triple?

DudeManBrother likes this.
  13. Thaeon

I have a Suhr Dual Boost, used to have the Precision Drive. Its not really a tonal thing that'd bugging me about it. Its a, It's getting absolutely buried in stereo with the Rivera. It runs through a Powered by Omega custom ported 112 with an EM12 in it.

14. Thaeon

The Triple hasn't been used enough to merit a retube yet. I bought it in late 2016. It sat mostly unused for the better part of a year. I only use either amp once a week at rehearsal.

15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Retube it and see what you think.

16. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

This is going to sound strange - but have you tried running it on raw or vintage mode? That will give it more mids and firm it up some.

17. Thaeon

That's a big investment to just "see" if it helps. Amps still under warranty. I'm going going to tube roll it and invalidate the warranty. I could basically trade the Mesa straight across for an Orange.

18. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

XXX2/JSX is like a tighter/sharper Recto? So maybe that?

Beheroth likes this.
  19. Thaeon

Again, its not a "tone" issue. Its a cut issue next to the Rivera. I'm having to push it REALLY hard to get it to sit in the Rivera's sweet spot. The only thing that bothers me about the Mesa is the lack of pick attack definition. The Rivera has that definition and the Mesa wall of sound thing too. The two are going to be used right next to each other on stage. I want something that will blend better with the Rivera without getting completely buried.

20. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

Yeah, more mids will help it cut and the pick attack will improve some.