Dumb DAW/VST question

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So, my Studio One 3 crapped out on me over the weekend. I guess the version I have is incompatible with Win 10 (IDK, though, I was running it and running Win 10 for years, this is the second time this happened). I can't update to a newer version of SO3, because, well, IDK why, but it won't. It doesn't like my product key (which worked fine for years...)

Last time this happened, I purchased Studio One 5. But I never activated it until this weekend.

I had been using Ampire with SO3, but, evidently, it sucks hard on SO5, so I downloaded some free VST sims.

And now we reached my current issue. The vst amps launch, but are taking up 99% of my processor. I tried uninstalling the 64 bit and installing the 32 bit instead, and it's the same. Since the processor is running so hard, the audio is completely fucked. I tried restarting and letting the PC sit, I tried different audio drivers, which caused different issues, like crashing SO5 or making my interface flicker on and off.

I'm out of my element here and have no idea what the problem is. The PC is a few years old, but should be powerful enough to handle some vsts that are older than the PC.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
... I'll shoot some random ideas, feel free to go with whatever feels right... or not
1- update your audio interface drivers.
2- update the drivers of the connection port of your computer (USB, firewire, thunderbolt...?)
3- if you're on a USB port, make sure it's a USB3.0...?
4- Kill all unused programs that might be consuming RAM and processing power:
- "cloud clients" (dropbox, onedrive, Mega, Backup&Sync);
- "messenger software" (whatsapp, facebook messenger, tweets, whatever...);
- youtube and other streaming platforms like Disney+, netflix, HBO...
- any torrent download software
- any sync/copy/backup software that might be running...
- and every other internet dependent background working software.
5- upgrade your RAM (if possible), more RAM is always better, right?
6- consider moving on to REAPER? or CAKEWALK?
7- run a defrag program like CCleaner/Defraggler from PIRIFORM.COM.
8- swap your hard drive for a solid state one... yes, no need for those old tubes here 😁
9- make sure you've not ran out of space on your hard drive. have at least about 100GB of free space
10- dump/clean your recycle bin
11- make sure your startup programs are only the minimum necessary (in my case, only drivers are up, I kill all the rest). CCleaner and Task Manager can help you with this.
12- run CCleaner on the "Regestry Cleaner" option: run SCAN FOR ISSUES and then FIX ALL ISSUES. Loop this action as long as there are issues found, it may take 4 to 5 times.
13- CLEAN your hard drive, you can use CCleaner for this.
14- get an external backup drive and have only the most recent stuff on your local hard drive.
15- get a partition on your "C:" drive, separate all your documents to a different drive from your software installation one. I install all my software (VSTs included) on the windows drive "C:" and have ALL my own files/documents on drive "D:"

... Please note that I'm not affiliated with PIRIFORM in any way, I just dig their stuff and find it useful.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
... I'll shoot some random ideas, feel free to go with whatever feels right... or not
1- update your audio interface drivers.
2- update the drivers of the connection port of your computer (USB, firewire, thunderbolt...?)
3- if you're on a USB port, make sure it's a USB3.0...?
4- Kill all unused programs that might be consuming RAM and processing power:
- "cloud clients" (dropbox, onedrive, Mega, Backup&Sync);
- "messenger software" (whatsapp, facebook messenger, tweets, whatever...);
- youtube and other streaming platforms like Disney+, netflix, HBO...
- any torrent download software
- any sync/copy/backup software that might be running...
- and every other internet dependent background working software.
5- upgrade your RAM (if possible), more RAM is always better, right?
6- consider moving on to REAPER? or CAKEWALK?
7- run a defrag program like CCleaner/Defraggler from PIRIFORM.COM.
8- swap your hard drive for a solid state one... yes, no need for those old tubes here 😁
9- make sure you've not ran out of space on your hard drive. have at least about 100GB of free space
10- dump/clean your recycle bin
11- make sure your startup programs are only the minimum necessary (in my case, only drivers are up, I kill all the rest). CCleaner and Task Manager can help you with this.
12- run CCleaner on the "Regestry Cleaner" option: run SCAN FOR ISSUES and then FIX ALL ISSUES. Loop this action as long as there are issues found, it may take 4 to 5 times.
13- CLEAN your hard drive, you can use CCleaner for this.
14- get an external backup drive and have only the most recent stuff on your local hard drive.
15- get a partition on your "C:" drive, separate all your documents to a different drive from your software installation one. I install all my software (VSTs included) on the windows drive "C:" and have ALL my own files/documents on drive "D:"

... Please note that I'm not affiliated with PIRIFORM in any way, I just dig their stuff and find it useful.
Maybe 6 is the best option. I had used Reaper before and liked it other than getting a little frustrated just not knowing where things were. I had used very old versions of Cakewalk, too. Maybe Studio One is just slowly falling apart due to neglect.

Check your buffer size and oversampling on the plugins.

It's probably the wrong sampling rate, but it doesn't look like I can adjust on individual plugins in Studio One, because I couldn't find it and googling seemed to turn up other complaints about it. I guess, if the pkugin is not defaulted to 44.1kHz, it won't work with that DAW without freezing or crashing. Pitty.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
a few years ago Studio One 3 was broken for me, too, after some Windows 10 update rolled out. some compatibility issue came up. it was fixed with Studio One 4. since then i´ve had no problems. i´ve since switched to Windows 11, still works fine. this doesn´t seem to be a DAW issue to me. i´d suggest you update all drivers, check buffer size, turn down oversampling, and make sure the sample rate and bit depth are the same across your system. so in the Windows sound options and in Studio One it should be same. basically all the stuff the other guys already mentioned :p
i have also used the newer free Cakewalk by Bandlab. it was great, but a bit buggy. nothing game breaking, but little weird things would happen here and there that were just a bit annoying. went back to Studio One and never regretted it.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
a few years ago Studio One 3 was broken for me, too, after some Windows 10 update rolled out. some compatibility issue came up. it was fixed with Studio One 4. since then i´ve had no problems. i´ve since switched to Windows 11, still works fine. this doesn´t seem to be a DAW issue to me. i´d suggest you update all drivers, check buffer size, turn down oversampling, and make sure the sample rate and bit depth are the same across your system. so in the Windows sound options and in Studio One it should be same. basically all the stuff the other guys already mentioned :p
i have also used the newer free Cakewalk by Bandlab. it was great, but a bit buggy. nothing game breaking, but little weird things would happen here and there that were just a bit annoying. went back to Studio One and never regretted it.
I've been using Studio One since around 2015. Started with Studio One 2, which bricked on me, so I upgraded to 3 and bought another license. At the time, I was new to PC recording. I had been going at it for about a year and was mixing an album when it suddenly and inexplicably stopped working. Presonus told me to upgrade to 3 and buy a new license to get rolling quickly, which I did. Unfortunately, 3 Artist has no VST support, so I had to pay an extra $50 to unlock that feature, which had worked just fine on whichever level of 2 I had had. Now that I'm switched to 5 and I see that it's just a newer-looking icon and has fewer features than 3, I think I'm potentially just done.

It looks like every version is more stripped down, so every time I upgrade, I have to spend more and more money on expansions just to get back to almost what I could do with the previous version. And I know that Studio One 3 stopped working on me before. When that happened, Presonus tech support blamed it on a Windows update, so I physically removed the wifi and ethernet cards from my PC - yet, here we are with it having happened again.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll 2nd that you should try cakewalk again. Now that it's completely free there is zero reason not to install it, even if for diagnostic purposes (I've had issues with plug-ins not loading right in one DAW and not the other etc). It's fairly bug free these days and getting better and better. Having issues in studio one and not other programs might give you some more insight into the culprit(s)