Dual Rectifier help

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by digitalsea, Feb 28, 2020.

1. digitalsea

digitalsea SS.org Regular

Hi,

I recently aquired an older 2 channel DR head and have some questions.

To start it sounds lifeless and seems to be lacking gain and sounds a bit thin. I used to own a multiwatt and a single a while ago and they seemed to have way more punch. Would it be worth swapping the tubes out, they are Mesa 6l6GC str 430 and look like all mesa 12AX7's also.

I have it going into a mesa 2x12.

Also just to freshen my memory as I can't recall with the other Rectifiers I owned but with the channel volume off is it normal to still be able to hear the guitar?

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- You might want to test the tubes first because if they're good and the proper type testing strong it might sound different but not really thin (like overly think).
    - All amps I've ever played, Boogie or not, either you can barely hear the guitar with the volume down or not at all. Even with two of the same amp this seems to be the case. I don't know why, but it seems to be normal. I wonder if it has to do with the volume pot wearing out or out of tolerance maybe still passing some signal. Just a guess.

3. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

What do you have the switches set to on the back of the amp?

I remember being overwhelmed when I had my Mesa. Lots of tonal options on the back that I think people forget about.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

When you say it sounds thin, what volume are you at?

5. Choop

Choop n______n

Are you using the effects loop? The front knob for the effects loop master acts as a general master volume when its engaged on the back.

Wrecklyss and Konfyouzd like this.
  6. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I find mine (90's era Tremoverb) doesnt sound like much at bedroom volumes, thin and 80% fizz. Comes to life around loud drummer / on-stage volume which is quite loud, but I suppose it was designed for the stage. I think some of the old school Rectos also have a parallel FX loop which is wacky to me. I dont use the loop myself but heard it's fairly easy to mod to Serial.

7. digitalsea

I have it set to silicone, bold, effects loop off, channel cloning off. I do have experience with the newer ones but I think i'm going to change the tubes out see what happens as they are old obviously being 6L6 STR 430's which Mesa has not used for a long while.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  8. digitalsea

So just a follow up it was the tubes, new ones in it and alot of tweaking and am happier with it's sound then any other rectifier i've ever owned, sounds fantastic.

I am in love with the blues mode, was worth the money for that channel alone.

Nik/, Edika, Wrecklyss and 3 others like this.
  9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Awesome and great to hear.

I regret selling mine, but not enough to buy another. Not my sound anymore.

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Awesome. Yep, I figured it was tubes. I have an old 2-channel Triple Recto, and it sounds like a sledgehammer. Gain at 3 oclock is too gained out for death metal. Mine has some sound when the channel volumes are at 0 also.

11. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

I picked up a Dual Rec Rev G last year and have been thrilled with it; THE SOUND of my formative years! I run a delay in the effects loop and front end it with a TS808 clone and enter tonal nostalgia. The feel of it in the room is whole next level (and I don't even usually crank it that loud)!

Keep them old school Rectos rocking!:eddie: