Drums for a beginner! 11 year old boy.....

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Wickedout2014, May 2, 2014.

1. Wickedout2014

Wickedout2014 SS.org Regular

This would be for my GF's kid. We tried him out for guitar but he didn't like it and it was to hard for him to understand. So we put him behind some drums and it loved it. He's a drummer not a guitar player at this point.

What drum set would you guy's go for at his age and why? Thanks! :metal:

2. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

How much noise is your girlfriend willing to put up with? Even when I close my door an play my electronic kit normally you can still hear me hitting the pads and cymbals down the hall (I use headphones rather than a PA system to practice), but that is nothing compared to an acoustic kit, even if you take steps to reduce the volume of said kit as much as possible.

3. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

If you do go with an acoustic kit, go with something on the smaller side to fit a smaller body. most grown men play a 22" bass drum, so look for something smaller. if you're going to buy new, ludwig just put out the "breakbeat" kit Ludwig Drums USA - Drumkits, Snare Drums, Concert & Marching Percussion which has some pretty small drums, down to a 16" bass. I'm 6'1" and play comfortably on 24" bass drums, so a 4' person would have the same size correlation playing on a 16"

if he's taller than that, there are kits with 18" and 20" bass drums out there.

all the other drums in the kit should be proportional (other than the snare, which almost always comes 14"x5")

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'll second the electronic kit suggestion. In addition to noise reduction, there's a lot lower possibility of breaking/tearing electronic pads than there is a beginner drummer denting drum heads or cracking cymbals on an acoustic kit.

Definitely go with a kit that doesn't have a built-in bass pedal though. Good drum pedals (single or double) can be found for relatively cheap. I see Iron Cobra double pedal sets for ~125 on GC used all the time. It's easier for your foot/feet to translate what you want them to do through the drum with a good pedal than it is to fight against a cheap one, which is important for someone who's just starting out and learning timing and muscle memory for playing.

For example, go to Guitar Center and try out a pair of Tama Iron Cobras on a kit, pad, or electronic kit. This should feel pretty good. Then, go to BestBuy and try playing drums on their RockBand kit. I can guarantee you're gonna have a bad time.

5. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Tama Imperial Star (the new ones) comes in small sizes and is dirt cheap used.

6. Epyon6

Epyon6 SS.org Regular

You can even get a tama superstar for pretty damn cheap used, my local guitar center in asbury park nj, is selling a 6 peice for around 300, and the superstar has birch shells and can sound professional as hell.

7. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I'd get a Roland TD-4. They're quality stuff that actually feel something like a real kit. Quiet and simple, too.

8. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

electronic for sure, they could play headphones into the brain of it and play, plus its adjustable to size, so they could continue to play it as they grow.