Drumming equivalent to Troy Grady's "Cracking The Code"?

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Rizzo, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Feel free to move this in general music discussion if that's the case.
    Just wondering on the existence on some drumming-based equivalent of Troy Grady's "Cracking The Code" series.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/troygrady/videos

I really admire the guy for the incredible amount of work, analysis and attention to detail he's putting into his series, plus it's all for free on YT. Taking a scientifical approach on guitar playing mechanics is a very fascinating concept, so I was wondering if someone had taken the lead on the drumming side of things.

The only comparable, drum-based resource I know is Austin Burcham's "Study The Greats" series which has my total respect and admiration as well, but it's not the same thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/abbdrums

Anyone able to contribute to the discussion?

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It's funny you say this because I came across Cracking the Code precisely when I was looking for a practise/technique resource for guitar that was similar to the stuff out there for drumming.

I've always found that as soon as I practise a new rudiment or exercise on the drums that my drumming instantly improves, and I can apply new concepts really quickly, whereas with guitar I was stuck at basically the same level for years due to not practising efficiently or constructively.

I don't think there's any particular series out there that analyses the techniques of different drummers, but so many drummers have so many videos that it's easy to find solutions to particular technique problems. The basic techniques (i.e. Moeller/Gladstone/Push-pull etc) are so well understood that it isn't like drummers have been waiting for a Troy Grady to come along and point out that everyone is using the drumming equivalent of pickslanting and no one has every really noticed.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

^That's actually true.
    Now that I'm mumbling on that, maybe Jojo Mayer's "Secret Weapons..." might be comparable in concept

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Yeah I've had that on my amazon wishlist for ages.