Drum Mics

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by buriedoutback, Oct 31, 2019.

1. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I searched but couldn't find much help.

My drum tech has become unreliable, so I need to learn how to mic drums myself. This also means I have to buy drum mics.

I think the "Shure PGADRUMKIT7 7-Piece Drum Mic Kit with 1-PGA52, 3-PGA56, 1-PGA57, 2-PGA81, 3-A25D, 3-AP56DM, 7 XLR-XLR Cables and Case" for $649 CAD on amazon looks pretty good for an all-in-one kit.
    I would add another tom mic to that, so about $749 CAD before tax.

Thoughts on this mic kit? Issues?
    I'm just an small-time studio doing local bands for the moment.

I have considered buying mics separately - and thomann seems to have the best deals.
    I like:
    AKG d112 mk ii // shure beta 52
    Rode NT5 pair
    akg d40 / shure pga56
    xlr cables

I already have 2 x sm57

Obviously, the above list would be better-ish mics and more money.

Are there better/different individual mics I should consider?

Thanks

2. thrashinbatman

thrashinbatman SS.org Regular

My personal recommendations are an Audix D6 for the kick, SM57s for the toms, and Shure KSM137s or SM81s for OH. Pretty much any of the dynamic kick mics will work but I like the D6 the best. It has a built-in EQ curve that lends itself to metal. There are better mics for toms but 57s work well enough for what you're doing right now. I'd try to get something somewhat quality for the OHs, because you can't sample replace those if things go tits up like you can the shells. Those two get used a lot, and I can personally vouch for the KSMs.

buriedoutback likes this.
  3. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

We had a similar situation recently, we chose these:

Toms (3 pack Sennheiser clip ons):
    https://en-us.sennheiser.com/instrument-microphone-cardioid-drums-brass-instruments-e-604

I think we got AKG P2s for the kicks, IMO they sound really good although I was more of a D112 fan, which we couldn't afford.

For overheads we got AKG P220 as they had a really good 2 for one deal at the time. I like these but honestly, I liked the Audio Technica AT2021 that I had on them earlier, but our drummer tends to favor the P220s more so we stayed with them and put the AT2021 on bottom snare and hi hat instead.

Last studio recording we did we miked top, mid and bottom of snare and honestly, if you have the option, it gives you a lot more control over the sounds. I'd probably use your SM57 for that purpose.

This is what I manage to accomplish with these mics:

I am especially happy with the kick drum mics. They were a very pleasant surprise at about $100.

Element0s and buriedoutback like this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've got access to one of those CAD mic kits, but I think I prefer just getting some good/standard/non-drum-specific stuff and running with it. I've had a decent amount of success with basically throwing shure stuff on most things, 57 for most shells, a 52 for the kick, then just pick stuff you trust for the rest. I've got a CAD m179 that I like on the floor tom. I've not settled on what I like for overheads, but even the "cheap" Rode m5s I've got do the trick.

IMO when it comes to drum recording, if I'm taking it seriously, I'll just rent mics instead of buying them - because the frequency with which I will use them is low, and they're just too expensive to sit around unused.

Also IMO, a lot of your drum sound is going to come from placement, and almost any decent mics will otherwise do the trick. Slightly off mic choice might not ruin a session, but poorly placed mics certainly will.

5. buriedoutback

Thanks for the recommendations guys!! Very much appreciated.

I went back and forth a lot on buying individual mics vs a kit, the adage "buy once cry once", what I'm willing to spend vs the value I would get, vs renting vs frequency of use.
    I decided on the Shure PGADRUMKIT7 7-Piece Drum Mic Kit + an extra pga56 tom mic. The kit was actually on sale for $600CAD, so I got an 8 piece kit (including all xlr and clips) for like $700 before tax. I only just realized now that I might need another kick mic for guys with 2 kick drums...
    While these mics aren't the most popular, the reviews are generally very good and come well recommended. Time will tell if this is the case or not! This appears to be an 'entry-level' kit, and I'm ok with that. I don't have an issue upgrading along the way, as my skills improve.
    I've had good results buying less expensive gear (2Notes Captor, Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 interface, Radial DI and Reaper on my Hackintosh) so I hope this trend continues.

Cheers!!

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

On the basis of having used a PG58 vs an SM58, I'd say that there's definitely a quality difference between the PG vs SM stuff, but it's far from being bad stuff, and I think you'll be fine with those if you focus on good placement.

7. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

PG vs SM stuff, from what I've heard on PG58 and PG57 is a bit more cloudiness, the heft and feel of the build is about the same, our singer has been using a PG58 for ages and thinks it is SM58 :)

8. buriedoutback

The mics came today. they are heavy af and appear to be really solid. I'm excited to try these babies out!

Descent likes this.
  9. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I use 57's on the snare top and bottom, and audix for everything else. My friends can't tell the difference between superior drummer and my live recordings so I am pretty happy!