Drugs...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Kaura, Jun 8, 2020.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

What do you want to know? Generally... 7.5 mg is great for anti-insomnia and 30 or 45 mg as an anti-depressant. What dosage were you prescribed?

2. USMarine75

C'mon. You do understand how side-effect warnings are generated though, right?

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I don't know how they're generated. I assume if a certain number of people say they're having a side effect then they put it on the list, so I'd assume it's something to be mindful of, so if you take the drug and start having one of those side effects happen to you then it's probably from the drug if you didn't have it before. I know most people don't get many of the side effects, but I bet it's better to treat somethign naturally if possible. I just think it's crazy to take an anti depressant for sleep. Why not just a normal sleeping pill like an Advil PM or two?

4. Kaura

Kaura single-coils do djent!

The pills I got are 15mg but my doctor told me to take only 1/4 of the pill so 3,75mg. As I've been taking the pills for the last few days they sure get me to sleep but I got some wild dreams, restless legs and my appetite has been through the roof (which I don't really mind).

USMarine75 and c7spheres like this.
  5. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Yes.

I'm on the following;

- Gabapentin, an anticonvulsant, for Fibromyalgia (this has quite recently replaced Pregabalin, a similar drug for the same thing)
    - Tapentadol, an opioid painkiller, for Fibromyalgia
    - Oxycodone (slow and immediate release), for Fibromyalgia
    - Amytriptylene, an antidepressant, for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Depression/Anxiety
    - Risperidone, an antipsychotic, for Mild Schizophrenia

I don't know if I was lucky or what, but the Endep gave me absolutely NO side-effects. No weight gain, no suicidal thoughts, no somnolence outside of when I took it, nothing. The Pregabalin (which I started next) was a bit nasty. No full blown 'side effects' other than feeling like a truck had hit me every time I went up a dose. It wasn't pleasant, but it helped. The oxy is a bit of a double edged sword. It helpes a LOT, as does the Tapentadol, but if I take too much or if it's just the 'wrong' day, it gives me migraines.

The Risperidone is the only one I kind of wish I hadn't started. It's helped with the noise in my head and the insane, chronic paranoia I was getting, but the side effects have really thrown a spanner in the works for my Fibro meds. It made me incredibly sleepy, I've put on a LOT of weight (not just from it, but I have no doubt it's partially responsible), and my nights - where I used to be able to stay up til 2am doing "me" things, are gone. I'm asleep by 9-10pm at latest. I feel shit about it.

Moral of the story; don't stress too much about taking it. If you need it you need it.

6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I will advocate for anti-depressants for anyone that needs them. I was on Prozac for a very long time since I was clinically depressed for 10 years or so.

However, I will caution that you should check all of your other prescriptions FIRST. Turns out my depression was a side effect of my asthma medication (Singulair). Once I stopped taking that, my depression finally went away.

Some people need anti-depressants because there's a chemical imbalance in their brain and the anti-depressants help balance things out. I don't know anyone who's been on them for life so it could be a temporary thing for you as well.

Hope it all goes well!

Werecow and Kaura like this.
  7. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I've always been curious about recreational drug use, yet have stayed away to the best of my abilities. I know I have a very obsessive personality, and I dont like personal limits. As such, I know if I start, I will decimate myself fully.

With that being said, my life kind of changed some 9 months ago (posted about it in the relationship section), where I have random bouts of anger, PTSD, insomnia, etc and other emotions that are new to me. It also stresses me out that because I've been so self-reliant and self-sufficient in every aspect of my life, its given me sever trust issues. I dont trust my surroundings, or the people in it, and worst of all, I dont trust myself.

Being in my head 24/7 without any particular break (ie, no alcohol, or any other product that can inebriate me temporarily) is getting excruciatingly exhausting. As such, I am looking to dabble with psychedelics. Perhaps they can help me leave my head behind, and put things into perspective.

only down side is, I really dont trust anyone/thing. As such, if I'm spiraling out of control, I cant really rely on anyone to act as a safety net for me. If I am spinning in a self-destructive path, I am beginning to scare myself as I am pretty close to just say 'fuck it' and destroy myself.

In a way, I've been living a straight-edge life, not because I think less of drugs, or users, or believe in 'natural' aspects of life; but because I dont trust anything.

8. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i def would not start a trip unless my head was in a good place. that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

why not just take a few bong rips and grab a bag of chips?

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If you recognize that in yourself, then I think your best bet is to continue with the same restraint you've had up until now. A person with an obsessive/addictive personality, going through a bad time, adding new vices into the mix - sounds to me like, as sleewell put it - a recipe for disaster.

You keep using the word trust - my :2c: is that introducing anything that's going to muddy your point of view is just going to erode your trust in your own perspective even more. I won't say avoid vices altogether, but I don't think this is the time to introduce anything new. Stick to the vices you know. Like you said - it's a trust thing. You can trust the vices you know.

From what I've read so far, you seem like a mostly reasonable person - if you can weather the situation for a while, fall back on whatever can serve as a rock for you, things will eventually return to some form of normal. IMO your goal should be to avoid doing anything that will prolong that process.

soliloquy likes this.
  10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

@Kaura - I just wanted to slide in here and wish you some solace and a better head asap. I've battled anxiety and depression for essentially my entire life and I'm pretty sure that over the past few months I'm slipping down into that hole again.. falling down quicker and staying down longer than ever before. I'm guessing that the events of the world are playing a part so I'm trying to stay away from too much news/ politics now. Listening to meditative music lately and even thinking about getting into hand-pans or tongue drumming. I'm wary of pharmaceuticals in general due to my history ( and family history) with codependency. My mother drank herself to death and one of my best friends has been battling alcoholism for a long time and it's getting worse so please please... if you can do anything to minimize that or kick it to the curb altogether, you have my respect and my support. Some genuinely wise and honest replies in this thread so even though I can't offer much advice, maybe your thread can help others. Please take care.

Kaura likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Please don't do anything. As @sleewell said this could be a disaster. One thing that's gauranteed is that if you go down a path of psychedelics and have never done them, your life will change, but from the way you're talking about your situation and state of mind it's not a good idea. You really need a proper guide for that sort of thing. Even if you did those alone in a secure environment you may not come out alive. You could also come out all better, but it's not worth the risk and it's way beyond this "whoa, look at the colors man!" stuff people poke fun at about it. It has the ability to fundamentally change your entire person and soul in a short time. Don't mess with it, stay away. You're not ready.

soliloquy likes this.
  12. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

@c7spheres and @TedEH I do appreciate the concern there. And I am so conflicted on it. Though part of me does want to self-destruct, and give in to temptation, as its a side of me I've been neglecting far too long. The other side is terrified.

the few friends of mine who have experience with psychedelics have said that it has changed their lives for the better. One of them is offering to guide me through it as well, and part of me trusts her in that, but I'm also terrified, curious, and intrigued all in once.

so lets see. Maybe start with micro-dosing, and slowly work my way up for a full trip. Or just avoid, neglect and keep away.

13. Kaura

Kaura single-coils do djent!

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  14. USMarine75

So during a drug trial, ANYTHING that happens that can't be directly explained gets listed, including random or non-linked events. So if you have a heart attack during the trial and there is no clear evidence (patient history, drugs, etc.) then it gets listed. The paper will list the exact rate of occurrence, but by law the label must list all SE. This is why many trials try to remove subjects from the trial so they don't taint the results. Sometimes they'll fight to have a subject removed so they wont have to list the SE, because patient's will (random/non-linked or otherwise) die during your trial and fuck everything up. But anyways a lot of times these SE are 0.01-0.1% rate... but still if 100k people take that drug you're looking at 10-100 people having that SE.

c7spheres likes this.
  15. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

-
    Stay away. There is no going back. It's not a recreational drug. It's a tool.
    - Do more research, talk to more experienced people. Give it time and give them your ears.
    - I guarantee if you ever decide to try this you'll never be the same. It can't be overstated. It could go great or horribly, or even amplify apathy. It doesn't make you do anything, it allows you to perceive things and think in complex ways you otherwise never normally would. You're openness and feelings going into this, and environment, have a huge effect on it's experience and value. These are not like other drugs. Many see them as spiritual tools. If you use them for just a recreational drug they will be fun, dangerous, and will have much less benefit to you.
    - Though not physically addicting they're something you'll likely want to do several times. You'll have "work" you'll want to do.
    - This is a dangerous thing. You can literally get lost or into situations where you can die or harm someone. You can also become compassion or love etc.
    - Just be aware that even if everything goes well that you'll never be the same. If there's anything about your life you want to keep right now and aren't prepared to walk away from then don't even think about it. You never know how you'll come out the other side. Things happen. Decisions are made. Truths are revealed. Sometimes uneventful things happen too. Sometimes it takes years to realize what happened. Time is no longer the same.
    - You may try it and think it's no big deal. You may try it again and completely change your life, move to India, and follow a guru. You may become a guru. Seriously. Once you go down this path there's no turning back. Even "dabbling" with these is a serious thing. It's not a recreational activity.
    - It's impossible to accurately describe a "trip" but one thing for sure is that after some experience with them in the right environment and under the right guidance you'll know the difference between wisdom and knowledge. Don't use them for a party, don't just watch a movie or party or something. You and one experienced guide is the way to go about this. Not your friends that wanna party and act like guides. No disrespect towards them but based on what you've said tells a lot about them too. If you wanna just feel it get a basic idea and have a good time then they can be sometimes great for that, but that's not the issue you're talking about and doing that can also go very wrong.

TLDR; I'll say once again.
    - Stay away from this stuff. You're not ready, especially when you say you've stayed away from pretty much anything that can inebraite you. You could literally end up having a psychotic break. If you absolutely have to do something then just smoke some weed and stay home for a while. It's legal there and still has many benefits. Stay away. You're not ready! I'm beggin you man.

soliloquy and Velokki like this.
  16. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

Funny you should mention that about my friends. I have 4 friends who have been in this world for about 2 decades now. One of them refused to guide me upfront, saying that he isn't the best person to help guide accordingly.
    second volunteered enthusiastically, but her husband, also my friend, talked her out of it. Based on their understanding, they are saying that I most likely will have a violent trip, or something else they may not be comfortable with.
    the fourth is the one who is saying that she can guide me, if I REALLY REALLY want to, but she would suggest against it. She has walked several other people through acid and shrooms, and thus, she would prolly be the best person to rely on.

but, she, too, is seeing it in me that I may not be something she is familiar with. They all have said that prior to going into their first trip, they all had a single narrative in their head. After the trip, they had several narratives happening, all at once. And as per their understanding, I already have several narratives in my head while 100% sober. And though they all say that they are able to keep up with me after the trip as intellectually we are meeting on a lot of different topics, it required them to trip a few times to get here, where as I am already there.

That is precisely why I am terrifying myself, yet a part of me is also intrigued by it. I dont connect with people as I feel so far away from everyone mentally. I dont seek validation in others, as I know they will never be able to get me. As such, whatever the hell is in my head gets lonely, and is begging for an escape.

and perhaps my choice of words for recreational use is inaccurate with psychedelics. Though they are doing it on a regular bases (sometimes monthly, sometimes weekly), if I do do it, I just want to try it once. I know it will impact me significantly, and I dont really have much in my current life I want to hold onto. I may have a house that may be the only thing I want to hold onto. Job, friends, family etc, aren't really doing much for me, and i feel like i'm in a rut for everything else.

Currently, the only thing I am doing in attempts to knock myself out of my head is drinking, and smoking weed. Maybe excessively? I dont know my limits, and dont know what is little or a lot. My partner drinks, and what normally lasts her a month of wine, i finished it within a week. And what lasts her 3-4 months of harder drinks, like tequila, i'm downing within 2 weeks. Haven't blacked out, and haven't really been feeling out of control. Id think I would have been light weight if I just started, but so far, it doens't seem to be the case. My friends are suggesting to slow it down and try enjoying the process by mixing drinks, but i'm not really doing it to enjoy the process. I am doing it to escape my head, and myself.

and even weed, isn't really doing much to me other than giving me a light buzzed head, but not exactly letting me escape.

I will be researching more into it, and other methods of just letting go of myself and my brain. Find out all I can control, and ignore what I cant control, and be content with it.

PS: I really do appreciate all your efforts in this, and your genuine concern. It isn't lost on me, and I know I'm not exactly in the right frame of mind. As such, thank you. Even if it may not mean much coming from a random person online, thank you. You could be doing a million other things, but still taking the time to talk me out of it is really appreciated.

c7spheres likes this.
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

What you're describing doesn't sound healthy at all to me. What you need isn't more substances to abuse, it's a therapist. I'm not saying that as an attack, I'm saying that as genuine advice. There's absolutely no shame in seeking professional advice, and if it doesn't help you in the way you need, you can at least say you tried everything available to you before going down a riskier path. You can't simultaneously say "I don't know my limits" and "don't worry, I'm sure this new drug will be exactly what I need". For your own safety, find a different path to relief.

18. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

drugs should not be an escape. that is a recipe for disaster and ultimately will never work if that is your goal. i fully agree with the above post.

it sounds like you are thinking they will take your mind completely off your problems but what i am saying is they will amplify and make them way worse.

c7spheres, soliloquy and Demiurge like this.
  19. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I didn't take that as an attack, and I'm not offended either.

I did try two different therapists, and they both kind of concluded that being excessively self-aware and in my head isnt a 'bad' thing. And that I need stronger boundries, which will fix things.

Though I do agree with boundries fixing some of the issues I have, I don't think they truely understand my issues with being caged in my head and unable to escape; constantly over thinking and over complicating things. Not exactly anxiety. Or if it is, it's high functioning anxiety as it isn't limiting me from doing my day to day tasks and all.

It's just leaving me exhausted.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That sounds more to me like you need an outlet more than a new vice. It could mean that you need to work on your social life so that you can find someone to listen to, or share in, your experiences - or you need a hobby that lets you funnel whatever is going on in your head out towards some creative outlet. Or maybe you're TOO social, and need to properly control the time you do or don't get to yourself.

The unfortunate thing is that it's not an easy solution. I don't think you're going to find any solution where you're just going to wake up tomorrow and everything is going to suddenly be better than it was. You're going to have to work at it. There are zero drugs, no matter how "eye opening" they might be, that are going to address the root cause of whatever you're going through. (I mean, some drugs specifically do address certain problems, but that's not what we're talking about here.)

I think you'd be surprised at how self-aware some people are, and how often you hear about people "thinking too much" and "being stuck in their heads", etc. The whole social lockdown thing right now certainly isn't doing anyone any favours in that regard right now.

I don't have any great advice, since it sounds like you need in-person advice for something like this - thus the therapist idea. Two is not a lot of opinions, even if they are professional opinions. It might still be worth trying that again.

c7spheres and soliloquy like this.