Drugs...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Kaura, Jun 8, 2020.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Maybe you gotta hit up Oranssi Pazuzu :lol:

2. Kaura

Kaura Le Petit Caporal

Nah, I've got some doom metal band connections. :lol:

3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Man, @vilk hit the nail on the head here. Shame it isn't legalized there. I'd be wary of sleeping aides- those things definitely screw with your head and not in a fun way, and can also lead to an extra special form of addiction to where you just won't be able to sleep without them- which is terrifying enough to turn someone like me, who's had major sleep issues since I was a child, completely off of the whole idea.

I did take a fat acid trip though that really, really helped me psychologically. I wouldn't ever advise anyone to do psychs, I feel like they're something you have to do your own research on; especially because they put you into such a volatile headspace and can send you to a really dark place if you aren't careful- but it definitely helped me. A lot.

Anti-depressents are another that I'd advise being very careful with; it really concerns me how these seem to be handed out like candy.
    My girlfriend got prescribed them at a moderate to large dose a couple years ago, and she changed. She did take more than she was supposed to, but the end result was there's about a 2 month window of her life that she just has no recollection of since she stopped taking them.

During that window, she stole my engagement ring from my previous relationship. Its complicated- but I held on to it and never planned to do anything with it just for sentimental reasons, she was a huge part of my life, and it felt wrong to discard or re-purpose a token of that. Well, obviously, it always upset my girlfriend, and at some point during that blackout period, she just took it. Denied it viciously until she sobered up and stopped taking the pills, and eventually came around to "yeah, that definitely must have been me, but I totally don't remember." We've never found it. Totally unlike her. Be careful, man.

Kaura and c7spheres like this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've been told that some antidepressants, antipsychotics, etc., can have very different effects at different dosage levels. I don't know how true that is, but if you combine that with liberally handed out prescriptions, and a tendency in some people to just wing it when it comes to dosages - I can see some bad things happening.

c7spheres likes this.
  5. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

W e e d .

Gain_Junkie93 likes this.
  6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I would seriously consider adding a medical disclaimer to that.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If only there were any warning labels on prescription drugs. Or pharmacists were required to list off those same warnings to you when you buy the drugs.

Actually, is that a thing in th' States? It's required here, but I have no idea what it's like over there.
    On top of that, we've got packaging for tobacco and weed products that has to be, by law, generic and almost entirely unbranded, and featuring gory warning photos. I have no idea if that's universal.

At the end of the day though, people like their drugs, and it's hard to convince some people to be responsible with them or to follow guidelines.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, I've been fortunate to not have any real issues with depression myself, outside of the typical work related stress or the occasional breakup or whatever, normal human emotions and not clinical issues... But I know a lot of people (we all do, whether or not they choose to talk about it) who have struggled with depression, and while things like exercise or an artistic outlet or a good diet can help, at the end of the day what we're talking about is a medical problem, and medical problems can have medical solutions. We have medicines to deal with a whole slew of other medical problems, from high cholesterol to cancer, but I don't know anyone with prostate cancer who gets advice like "have you tried exercising more?"

Anti-depression meds shouldn't be used or prescribed without good cause, and only by and under the supervision of a qualified medical professional, absolutely. But, they can be absolute game changers for people who struggle with clinical depression, and I know a number of people who not only have had success medicating their depression, but feel comfortable enough talking about it with me. I'd never tell someone not to at least discuss it with their doctor.

Again, I'm lucky. Give me a guitar, and at least several days a week where I can sprint up hills or mountains on a road bike, and I'm generally pretty happy go lucky. My experience is absolutely not that of everyone else I know, though, and if taking a pill is the difference between someone living a happy, balanced life, and being crippled by depression, that's an amazingly small act to have to take for a good quality of life.

That said, to the OP, if you're 10 beers deep and trying one of these, I really hope you also discussed your drinking with your doctor, and whether or not it was a symptom or a cause of the issues you're facing.

TedEH and c7spheres like this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Not sure if you noticed it, but they gave the OP an anti depressant when all he asked for was something to help him sleep. I'm not a doctor but I know that's overkill for a sleep aid. Certainly not necessary. Something like an Advil Pm usually works pretty good if you need to sleep.

aesthyrian likes this.
  10. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

I used to take Lexapro. It made me feel like shit. I stopped taking it & I felt really dizzy for almost a week. Now I just drink beer & smoke bonghits & I get plenty of sleep & I don't feel sad any more. Mostly because I don't give a shit after a 6 pack of Elysian Space Dust. That little hop on the bottle is my friend.

[​IMG]

Aaron, Humbuck and c7spheres like this.
  11. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I have found that an effective way to get some quality shuteye is to head on over to the politics subforum on here and read some threads. Out in no time.

Ordacleaphobia, TedEH and c7spheres like this.
  12. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

I feel like the Kool Aid man! Ohhhhh yeah! Even the jams sound better! FTW! I'm plugging into my Fryette 2-90-2 & waking up the neighborhood!

IMG_20200611_221551.jpg

c7spheres likes this.
  13. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Is the space dust going into or coming out of his mouth? : )

D-Nasty likes this.
  14. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

It depends on how loud the Fryette is. lmfao! Right now I'm consuming.

2.jpg

c7spheres likes this.
  15. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

This one's for the bitches. Sexy ass Ibanez RG752M! Holla! :)

3.jpg

aesthyrian and c7spheres like this.
  16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

This thread is going places.

17. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

Nice AK part cleaning mat. Never been a huge AK guy but they're nice to change things up a bit. Also it looks like an AR bolt tattoo on your wrist?

For sleep I've found that just exhausting the piss outta myself works really well. You don't ever sleep as good as when you busted balls all day. If I find a day when it was more relaxed I would try and work out or go run or do something mentally challenging to help induce sleep.

D-Nasty and c7spheres like this.
  18. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

You are a very astute observer my friend. Yes, that is an AK cleaning mat & an AR-15 bolt carrier tattoo on my wrist. Bravo! I like all kinds of guns. I own several AK & AR's. Here's one of my favorites.

AR.jpg

Damn straight. I work my ass off in a factory every day. I sleep good with or without those sweet, sweet brewskis. Better with them though. lol! :)

Seabeast2000 and ThePIGI King like this.
  19. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'm curious how you intake it like via food, pills, vape etc. In my experience an awful large amount is needed and a continous flow in the body for it to be effective on a dialy basis. It gets really expensive really fast to the point I can't afford it.

vilk likes this.
  20. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

What do you want to know? Generally... 7.5 mg is great for anti-insomnia and 30 or 45 mg as an anti-depressant. What dosage were you prescribed?