Drop G out of tune between 0 and 5 on barres

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Clement367, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Good frets, perfect neck, perfect setup, maybe a non-random string set picked specifically for tension...

Also, pro fretting and pro picking lol.

And finally, what you hear on a record ain't anything close to what you'd get if you sat their guitarist in a bedroom and asked him to plug a guitar into an amp and play that song.... much less if you made em use a Gio and a random practice amp

2. Clement367

Clement367 Member

I don't want to brag about my self, but I'm a good guitarist, I play since 10 years, and I play this style of music between 7 years. Concerning the amp, it's a quality virtual amp, ignite bundle : ProFet, Emissary, and Nadir. It is not the amp, before I was in A, with 10-60 gauge and there was no problem.

My amp is good, and my picking is good, the problem began with drop G and 9-64 gauge.

I misspoke, powerchords don't sound out of tune, t's as if the pickups did not return the bass frequencies of the guitar

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Weak fingers.

Jk. It could be a timbre thing for him. He prefers the sound of thinner strings and pays the price by having to have a very light touch.

You cannot ham on the strings when tension is that low. Regardless of intonation.

That said. Check your damn intonation. Make sure it’s PERFECT. Then come back and tell us what you think.

4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Like... your lowest string isn’t ringing out? Or it is but, you don’t hear much bass. If it’s the second one, it sounds like you have an EQ problem. I would explore those plugins a bit for a solution

5. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I'll never understand why the first response is always "your strings are too light" for stuff like this.

It's your setup and/or how you're playing. If you like to beat the hell out of the strings, then yeah maybe heavier gauges will help some. Otherwise, you need to make sure it is setup and intonated properly, and then make sure you're fretting and picking properly.

I use 9-42 with a 56 in Drop Ab on 25.5" and 27" scale guitars all of the time. Every time I've used heavier gauges, I've hated my tone. However, I never have any issues with notes being out of tune, or strings being "too floppy".

6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

In my experience if you want something to sound genuinely aggressive you’ve got to pick hard. Thicker and longer scale lengths strings lend themselves better to that.

Lower gain tones picked HARD sound way more aggressive than highgain/compressed tones being bitch-picked (imo)

7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Don't forget to try picking closer to the bridge.

8. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

Drop G is four semitones down from standard BEAD tuning, so it would be doable, I'm thinking.

One thing you could mess with is your neck bow. I did that with my Strandberg 8 to get better tension at lower tunings like Drop D#. Just make small adjustments and don't crank the truss rod.

As far as string gauges, buy an 8 string set and use the lowest 7 strings, that's how I'd go about it. Given the lower scale length, you should be able to get the F# to a G and the other strings three semitones up from their standard tunings.

Just be wary that your neck may not like this very much, since it is a lot of tension.

9. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

This, FOR SURE. At that scale length, it's really uncommon to have enough travel in your bridge saddles to overcome what this does to your intonation. I use a .072 on a 27" scale baritone, and even that is just adequate to reach low G with enough string tension to keep the neck in shape, with stable tuning.

10. Karmaic

Karmaic SS.org Regular

Make sure one of your GDG strings arent an octave low. Its rare, but it happens when quickly throwing on some strings.

Your string gauges are fine for a 25.5" scale in drop G. I played 11-60 gauge strings on a 25.5" scale in drop G for 14 years! It sounds like a tuning issue.