Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Bite my glorious, golden ass!"

QFT. I decided to listen to At Wit’s End last week a little while after digesting this new album. That song has “it” for sure. Just a really great song.

chewpac likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

What's Peter Sinfield up to these days?

If that doesn't work out Dream Theater should take a leaf from another of their favourite bands, Yes. Literally no one has ever criticised Jon Anderson's lyrics because it's not meant to be meaningful, it's meant to fit. What does Total Mass Retain mean? Siberian Khatru is a strong of vaguely mystic words, Olympia he literally sings about studio rack gear.

bostjan likes this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

One of my old bands charted in Germany a few years ago with a song that we made less than $20 royalty share on. Granted, it was the metal chart and we were only on it for a week in a low position, but it literally takes nothing more than a blip to chart in smaller markets these days.

Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of people more their age who could write better lyrics, and I'm sure out of that pool, there'd be at least one willing to do it. They could even keep writing their own lyrics, and just have the lyricist take some of the pressure off.

But, then again, if DT didn't have this discussion within the last 10 years, maybe it doesn't really matter at this point.

Wc707 and StevenC like this.
  4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Sure, but this was the "main" chart that has all the big mainstream stuff on it. Still doesn't mean a thing though, I just thought it was cool.

Speaking of cool, check this out:

[​IMG]

Doesn't exactly match the band's IRL image, but still very awesome.

Wc707 and bostjan like this.
  5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Miyagi-Fang Karate

6. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Listened to the new album, not bad, Awaken the Master was my favorite overall, but reminded me a lot of E=mc2 by Ayreon:

Skip to 1:50 and see if you hear what I mean or if I'm just a crazy person.

7. RevelGTR

RevelGTR PRS, Fender, Warmoth

DT will always mean so much to me but this new album is embarrassing. It’s not even terrible, it’s just so mediocre and derivative of previous work that it has literally no reason to exist. When you replace 1 of 2 band leaders with a yes man (not MM’s fault at all, just reality when you’re the new guy in an established band) it’s no surprise that so much of the magic is gone.

StevenC likes this.