Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

At least you stopped writing self-serving dissertations.

2. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Did I? Or did the post length decline because we're exchanging insults instead of discussing something of substance? Real improvement to the thread, that.

3. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Every DT album has few hits and multiple misses. Except I&W and Metropolis Pt. 2 where it's the opposite (can't stand Pull Me Under or Home).

/thread

4. Sermo Lupi

I've learned from this thread that unless you own like ten JPX guitars and seven JP2C amps, there's no way you can make such a massive statement! :lol:

5. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

Only in a Dream Theater discussion would people argue so much ‍:duel:
    I enjoy the band. I like some albums better than others. I think Portnoy took the band in a certain direction, but that doesnt mean Mangini is better or worse, or vice versa. All music evolves, and it should.

XPT707FX likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

Dream Theater forms a very major part of my identity as a music fan and musician. I was trying to demonstrate that, but you just wanted to yell some more. Sorry I don't like something in exactly the same way as you.

ChainsawBarbecue and ArtDecade like this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Home has some killer riffs, especially the main wah riff that rips off 46&2. I think it suffers from being too long, much like Beyond this Life, but I still think it’s an album highlight. And the radio edit version isn’t better, so maybe it’s ok as long as it is.

StevenC likes this.
  8. Sermo Lupi

I'm sure it does form a part of your identity. But you really need to stop with the gaslighting: I wasn't yelling at you, I wasn't invalidating your interest in Dream Theater, and I certainly wasn't attacking you by demonstrating that your opinion of Six Degrees being "abysmal" is unconventional.

If you don't like the music from Six Degrees onward, that's fine. But you're going to get a lot of opposition with statements like that and it didn't help you refused to form an argument from anything aside from your own feelings.

I wonder if Home being a bit long was intentional. It would fit with the song's theme of hedonism. I was never bothered by it aside from the part where things get, ah, "heaving". Not really the song you want on at a streetlight with the windows down, haha.

9. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

So far you're the only one in this thread that has had a problem with what I said and every DT fan I've met in real life hasn't argued either.

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Oh my God, just fuck already.

11. Sermo Lupi

More anecdotes. It's almost like I went to the trouble of referencing thousands of review scores so we'd both have access to more opinions than what we can count on two hands.

I haven't told you any of the music you like is shitty, you're the one who's done that. So stop playing the victim and let the thread move on.

12. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Well that song wasn't really what I expected based on the teaser. Basically just rewrote Pale Blue Dot. It has its moments but kinda meh.

13. aceshigh92

aceshigh92 SS.org Regular

Jesus fucking Christ dude, let it go. I have never seen anyone get so bent out of shape over something so inconsequential as a random internet strangers opinion on a 90s progressive metal band. Music is subjective. All the dude did was give his subjective opinion before you piled on with your "weLL AcKChYuaLLy" bs. No-one needs to provide evidence or "form an argument" to explain why they don't like something that's purely subjective, and no-one else gives a single fuck what the crusty, fart-sniffing, pretentious gatekeeps at "Prog Archives" think about anything.

Back on topic, the songs OK (imo..., pretty par for the course for recent DT from I've heard of it. FWIW I fell of the DT bandwagon after the self-titled (more because my own musical tastes changed than anything else), but I still like to check in to see what they're up to. I think my biggest gripe with them has always been the production, specifically the bass tone. JM is such a beast of a player, but his tone is just so...limp. Give the guy some balls and crank him up in the mix a bit.

ChainsawBarbecue and ArtDecade like this.
  14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Nothing particularly wrong with the new song IMO, but there were just too many parts that felt like I've heard them on a previous album already.

... Oh well, I preordered the album anyway :lol:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

New song:
    First minute unmistakable Dream Theatre sound
    Second minute leads are more reserved than usual Petrucci and feel more like an outro or last verse
    Third minute is a bit abrupt and not flowing well
    Fourth minute same as the third, sounds like lots of ideas stuck together rather than a consistent idea worked on

The long solo section has lost me. I can't say I'm a fan at all but it probably doesn't help I've lost interest in them the last few albums.

16. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

17. sym30l1c

sym30l1c SS.org Regular

New song is OK, but as someone who started listening to DT in the early '90s, I feel like I have already heard it in a similar shape or form multiple times in the past.

18. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

just had the most uncomfortable flashback ever of me listening SfoaM for the first time in 2009, my mom was in another desk behind me answering some emails, when Home came in she was like "ohh that sounds good" and kept doing her business, then came THAT part and she was like "wtf, wait for me to leave the room" :lol:

Xaios likes this.
  19. Sermo Lupi

Here's some arithmetic for you: a guy with three posts provides his two cents twelve hours after everyone had moved on. Five reasons why no one cares. As an aside, I've never seen a curse-filled rant deescalate a conversation :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people here share some variation of that memory! I remember putting the album on one time and my mom asking me if I was listening to gospel after she heard the intro from another room.

I feel I've said the same thing for the last couple albums, which is that the music is good but very much in the vein of A Dramatic Turn of Events, the Self-Titled, and the newer DT sound. We'll see what comes with the rest of the album, yet that seems to be the pattern even if there's kernels of older DT in there.

I'd be curious to know if the band is composing and recording the album in the same manner as last time. That would explain why some of it sounds the way it does, being broken up into sections, jammed on, reassembled and recorded, etc.

20. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

You know those TV shows where series one- they have to save someone, series two- they have to save the city, series three- they have to save the world, series four- they have to save the universe, series five sucks because the writers no longer have a way to one-up the previous adventures and so it's just no longer interesting, but, because the actors on the show are still really good, people still watch, but they just don't really love the new episodes of the show? Maybe the writing was never that great to begin with, but everything else about the show had its charm...

Maybe that's kind of where Dream Theater has been the past 20ish years. We all admit Petrucci is a monster player- all of the musicians in the band have always been fantastic on their own. And Scenes from a Memory was clearly a one-up over Falling into Infinity from a writing perspective. IDK, if they tried something different at this point, it'd be a huge gamble, but @StevenC voices a pretty widespread sentiment that a lot of the newer material just sounds like previous material. This new song, to me, sounds a lot like I've heard them play it before, but I haven't. I don't dislike it, it's just doesn't have much novelty to me.

The discussion a couple pages ago about the lyrics had me going back and looking at their lyrics for a couple gems, and, well, honestly the lyrics were never really that great. I guess they never bothered me too much since I'm not really a lyrics guy, but the moments where DT is trying to be profound with lyrics never really held up. The new song, just listen to the way the lyrics start out with a mild cringe. I can't really explain it, they just aren't top tier and it shows in a you-know-it-when-you-see-it way. I'd say maybe it's just me, but it's not just me.

I still consider myself a fan, not because I have a DT tattoo or because I own DT merch, but because I care about this band. That's why it makes me nervous with this new album coming out in a post-pandemic world with 8 string guitars on it. I really really want to be blown away, but the biggest part of my problem is that my expectations are too high.

ArtDecade and StevenC like this.