Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

2. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

Final episode (for now):

3. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Who knew that Along For the Ride might actually be a good song? :lol:

4. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

I was a big fan of when Dream Theater went nu-metalish (train of thought through Systematic Chaos). I just thought that dark edge was what was missing before/after even though Im sure it came off as corny to alot of their fans. In 2005/6 I was kind of a generic metal dude I was into like Pantera/Megadeth but I also listened to the shit out of Train of Thought because it had some of that grit to it where as my dad had always told me I wouldnt like them cause they werent heavy. I know their earlier music has some heaviness especially Awake but I feel like Train of Thought, Octavarium, and Systematic Chaos put that aspect up front

Captain Butterscotch and tedtan like this.
  5. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

I wish JR would do something like this with JLB.

6. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

It could be nice; I don't see LaBrie exposing himself directly to the public though. He's been getting enough flak for his vocals already. Speaking of pipe dreams, I wish LaBrie would sing a good Major Third down instead of stretching his vocal chords too thin, but alas we don't always get what we want. My memory says that LaBrie sounds better on his solo records where he sings a little bit lower, but I could be remembering poorly. At the very least, he didn't sound as artificially enhanced as he is in Dream Theater. Maybe.

ddtonfire and thesnowdog like this.
  7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's a story about Chris Squire spending the whole recording of Drama yelling at Trevor Horn to sing higher, so I wonder if something like that is going on.

thesnowdog likes this.
  8. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Just make it a fourth, which practically forces Petrucci to finally use a damn 8-string guitar if the band goes down the same steps to fit to the new vocals.

Win-Win

Zhysick and StevenC like this.
  9. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

Elements of Persuasion kicks serious ass (aside from the crazy-super-hot mastering or whatever that term is).

10. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

LaBrie's high vocals are seen as part of the signature sound of Dream Theater. That demand is how you see vocalists ruining their voices because they have to sign like on the record, or just like how they used to be able to or close to either. LaBrie made a career out of that sound after all, I doubt he'll be particularly unhappy about his path.

That being said, I also think that at this stage of their career, it'd be wiser to adapt to what each member currently can do instead of what they used to be able to do ages ago; especially for singers. I think LaBrie still has quality in his voice, but that quality no longer is singing that stupidly high like a facsimile of how he used to sign in the I&W era. His sweetspot probably has gone quite a bit lower with time; just write there and he'll sound good. Right now with the studio "enhancements" and his peculiar timbre, he can sometimes almost sound like an android.
    They could just re-arrange the vocals like they did for A Change of Seasons. Apparently the original version they wanted featured on I&W was sung higher, and they had to adapt it after LaBrie's first vocal problems.

I did not mean to rain on the 8 string parade! :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  11. AwakeFM

AwakeFM SS.org Regular

I was a *huge* DT fan back in the day, When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words, Awake and A Change of Seasons were foundational to younger me getting started as a guitar player and musician. I forged some friendships in the old DT bulletin board (The Ytsejam!) that are still going strong to this day. I wrecked my Dad's mustang flying around back country roads at night to "Under a Glass Moon" and turned 21 years old at a DT show and met John Petrucci afterward - such great memories.
    I wasn't into their sound after Kevin Moore left, but I still purchased every album up to and including 'Train of Thought' hoping it would return. There were bits and pieces of the old DT in there, but it seemed like they just couldn't hold it together for an entire song. Rudessess' ragtime breakdowns just started pissing me off after a while. To be fair, my tastes had also got much heavier as time went on, and while I still would catch a live show here and there if they were close by, my interest in DT faded.

A couple years ago, they came through town on the "Images and Words" anniversary tour and I decided to go at the last minute. The arena was packed, but lucked out and ended up getting front row center seats at the box office. They absolutely KILLED IT. For a few hours I felt like a kid in the 90's again. It was fucking awesome. When they came back for the encore they played A Change of Seasons in it's entirety and I was nearly brought to tears. It was an incredible show and I'll never forget it.

I'm not into their current sound but I certainly respect what they've been able to do over the years. It felt like that I&W show was just for old fans like me and they knew it. Rock on DT, rock on.

chewpac, slan, p0ke and 1 other person like this.
  12. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

13. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

@Evan89 you’re a machine, wow !

ddtonfire and Evan89 like this.
  14. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Guess who gets a new signature instrument.

15. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...7rp3PXYcF5xdwUQkdwTSgdarEOK73FINFYx1sDm3Ku8ys

That is a brutal URL. But anyway, TL;DR:
    "So, specifically, we are going to come out with an eight-string Majesty model, and that is something that's being developed, it's been a project that we've been working on - myself and the engineers that are in Ernie Ball Music Man.

"And it should be ready in some form, even if it's a prototype, for me to be able to use on the next Dream Theater album.

slan and p0ke like this.
  16. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

17. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Mmm it's in 4K. Pretty excited to watch that especially since the show I was supposed to see on that tour was cancelled twice.

18. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

LaBrie looks... interesting.

slan likes this.
  19. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I was also a bit concerned on how his face is looking here. Hope he’s alright. Dude needed to run a comb through the back of his hair.

DT has been my favorite band since the mid 90s but man they are boring live here in this video. Mangini is the only one really showing signs of life here. I’ll probably still pick up the Blu-ray but it’s not doing much for me beyond just listening to the studio album.

XPT707FX likes this.
  20. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I like the drummer's safety glasses