Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

The food poisoning incident was nearly 10 years before 6 Degrees.

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

This is as close as you'll get, outside of the tour they did with Ryche in '03 where he sang "The Spirit Carries On" with them.

scrub likes this.
  3. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Managed to catch these guys live when they came through LA on Friday. Great live show, much better than when I saw them last time on Images, Words, and Beyond a couple years back. Here's a couple disorganized thoughts that you may or may not care about:
    • LaBrie sounded fantastic. He was dead on for most of the night and absolutely destroyed the closing tracks of Scenes from a Memory. This is in interesting contrast to last time I saw them come through where he noticeably struggled. Most likely this is because it was only the 2nd or 3rd show of the tour whereas last time I saw them it was more towards the middle so he'd already thrashed his voice.
    • Either the rest of the band are giants or Petrucci is pretty short. Guess he makes up for it in biceps size.
    • Hands down, the guy having the most fun on stage was Mangini. Huge smile on his face the entire time, always engaging with other band members, and fantastic playing in general.
    • Myung's right hand is ridiculous. That's all.
    • The songs that they played from the new album were good and people loved them, but the crowd really came alive when they started in on Scenes from a Memory. Obviously, the crowd was full of a bunch of guys in their 50s that had been with DT from the beginning but I was also surprised that the younger people also seem to gel with the Scenes stuff more - people were singing every word of the entire album.
    • I'm really digging these anniversary tours that DT has been doing. I thought this one was a lot better than the Images and Words one but it's probably because I like Scenes more than I&W and spent the last couple months listening to it a lot in preparation. :lol: Hoping they do Awake next as Lie was the song that originally inspired me to get a 7.
    TL;DR. If DT is coming near you on this tour cycle - go see them no questions asked.

Setlist (in spoilers in case you're planning on going and want to be surprised)
    1. Untethered Angel
    2. A Nightmare to Remember
    3. Fall into the Light
    4. Barstool Warrior
    5. In the Presence of Enemies PT. I
    6. Pale Blue Dot
    INTERMISSION

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory

Encore: Pull Me Under

The encore kind of surprised me given they had just finished touring I&W. Obviously the fans were digging it but I'm wondering if they just go lazy and thought, "Eff it, let's just do something we already have practiced and ready to go..." especially after having to relearn all of Scenes.

XPT707FX, thedonal, setsuna7 and 5 others like this.
  4. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Dude sounds a lot more like Geddy Lee than Tate.

5. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I met Mangini briefly when he was touring with Vai in '99/'00 after a show in Vegas, super, super nice guy, and seemed to enjoy playing.

6. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

I bought a ticket for their show in CT coming up. I’ve never seen them live and I’m excited. I listened to “Scene from a memory” a lot last summer so I’m familiar enough to enjoy this upcoming show.

ddtonfire likes this.
  7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

If they do Awake, I will purchase VIP, front row, whatever, I will absolutely splurge for an Awake anniversary tour. Top 5 album for me.

I really debating this tour. They’re playing NYC on April 12th, my birthday. It would be my, shit, 13th time seeing DT?

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

These guys better announce the Asia tour leg soon. I really want to see this show.

9. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

I think it's how much air/width they added to James' voice that have really killed the last few albums for me :(

10. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

Am I the only one that thinks At Wit's End should have closed the album?

11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah the ambient room mic bit is perfect. I would have preferred that over Pale Blue Dot. But Viper King is perfect in its own way as a bonus track ending.

LiveOVErdrive, ddtonfire and XPT707FX like this.
  12. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Speaking of ambient room mikes... Maybe with a bit over 5.750€ in mics alone on Thomann, you too can sound just like John Petrucci! :lol:

XPT707FX, ChugThisBoy and thesnowdog like this.
  13. beerandbeards

I’m going to see DT tonight in CT! I haven’t been to a show in a long time so I’m pretty stoked plus their playing material from two great albums

XPT707FX and p0ke like this.
  14. beerandbeards

They were amazing tonight. The levels in the venue would perfect. I’d say it took a song before they found that level. Mangini sounded awesome. Labrie was not bad at all.
    It was a heavier set which was appreciated

XPT707FX and p0ke like this.
  15. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Pale blue dot somehow feels so Rush

16. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

For me is S2N; the intro is just so Rush to my ears

Ralyks likes this.
  17. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

As said by John Petrucci, John Myung's fingers do look like spiders when he's playing. :lol: Apparently he's got a Signature bass coming in 2020, most likely with the narrower neck design that usual 6 string basses he's known to use (like a 5 string bass neck but with six strings).

technomancer and XPT707FX like this.
  18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

kinda excited about it (as a DT fanboi) but then again I dont play 6 and I doubt EBMM would release a 5 string version :/ plus he used to have silver even a blue bongo at one point (and the aqua and red basses with yamaha before going into the silver one) but now its all black with black and chrome hardware (and rosewood)..... the most "basic" and boring combination, speially when EBMM have the stealth black with black hardware, lots of colors, bass of the month thing they did, sparkles, and everything he would prob want as his status as a player.... but nope, lets go with black *roll eyes*

I just wonder if they would stick with the Bongo or make some changes to it?

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I haven't kept up with this thread much so maybe it's been discussed already, but am I imagining it that Distance Over Time sounds suuuuuuuuuuuuuper compressed? Not in a Metallica-Crushed-Until-It-Distorts kind of way, but so much of the mix is smashed together in this one. It doesn't sound bad to me overall, but I can hear the compression kick in sometimes and it caught me off guard that it'd be so noticeable on a big commercial release like this.

20. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Yeah- there's a lot of squish going on. I found it to be noticeable in places but right through the album.