Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Not much to add really - I'm pretty much loving the album too. It's a rare case where I don't want to skip any songs, I guess my favorite at the moment is Pale Blue Dot. Viper King is cool too but I totally see why it's a bonus track and not really part of the album.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  2. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I really do hope Dream Theater follows down the path they’re on with this album. There really isn’t a bad song on this album either which is awesome.

mguilherme87, p0ke and Exchanger like this.
  3. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Had my first listen today after a couple of failed attempts to get it (cancelled Amazon pre-order the day before release because these days- preordering for delivery on release day is a whole package in itself! I thought that was the point of pre-ordering?!!).

Then HMV Guildford hadn't apparently received it on Sat.

Got the last copy at Kingston. Glad I did. Some of it is just a retread for me- vocally in particular (especially Untethered Angel- it's LaBrie by numbers!!). But some nice surprises.

The album felt a bit over compressed as a whole but the drums are really punchy. I like that! A few moments for John Myung to really shine too- I like that more.

4. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I'm not even a Dream Theater fan and I'm liking this. Really solid album.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  5. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Seriously. I pre-ordered one of the limited editions from Amazon but it's not going to be available from them until maybe the 15th? What bull! Never again!

Fortunately, there's always someone out there with open arms and a nice way to provide my fix, so...

This is definitely their strongest and most passionate album since MP's departure, and possibly even since Octavarium! I'm enjoying the conciseness of the songs - nothing seems out of place or overdone. JM is rocking in the mix and they finally made MM sound like he's playing real drums! JR is sitting in the mix really well, too. I think the 1-4k is a little harsh; it sounds so much better at high volumes with about 2db taken out over that range. I'd say Barstool Warrior is my favorite so far, followed by Paralyzed and At Wit's End. Lots of repeated playability here! No tracks I'm skipping like the self-titled or albums I'm skipping like Astonishing.

The most exciting thing is DT is BACK.

6. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I KNOW, RIGHT ? Especially at S2N, I was like "wow, finally !". I'm still not a fan of the vocal production...well apparently vocals are done by the guy who mixed self-titled which I also didn't like the production of, so that explains...

Overall great album. I'm gonna pick Pale Blue Dot as favorite because I love this kind of dark dramatic vibe (also like A Nightmare to Remember). But I can see the appeal of Barstool Warrior that many picked. As it's been said, even the ballads are enjoyable (which I felt were not on ADToE, which otherwise would have been a great album too).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    mguilherme87 likes this.
  7. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

It's been nearly 2 decades since fans were together like this :D
    I listened to the album all weekend long and I can't even settle on my favorites !
    PBD has been criticised a lot on the official forum, but maybe it's some bad effect of the hype. I personnaly think it's dance of eternity level, pure pleasure :)

8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Ain't that the truth!! It's a good thing!

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only pointy guitars remain

this is the first dream theater album I've actually liked since systematic chaos.
    I love the owen wilson "wow" cameo on s2n that shit had me cracking up

mguilherme87, fps and setsuna7 like this.
  10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Ok, I love S2n as I've made it known, but where is this Owen Wilson moment I keep hearing about? I listened for it after I heard about this and I didn't hear it...

11. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

It's the "wow" at 4:00 minute

fps and setsuna7 like this.
  12. fps

fps Kit

Just came in to post this. What an incredible thing to do, haha.

13. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

The first three songs released piqued my interest,I am not disappointed!Definitely a return to form for DT.I've only given it one listen so far,but did not skip a single track,something I can not say about their last few releases."Pale blue Dot" was the standout for me,but I am sure that will be subject to change after a few listens.Again,not a bad song on this one,just the way a true DT album should be!!!!

mguilherme87 likes this.
  14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Has there ever been a Dream Theater album released that WASN'T described as a "return to form" by many people? Maybe Falling into Infinity...

15. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Probably correct. Personally the last album I really enjoyed (and even that's with reservations) was BC&SL. Both ADTOE and S/T were generally tepid affairs for me, to the point where I never even bothered listening to The Astonishing, which it sounds like I did myself a favor by not doing. "Fall Into the Light" is certainly a step up compared to anything I've heard since BC&SL though, so I'm cautiously optimistic (I haven't heard the full album yet).

That being said, Falling Into Infinity is honestly criminally underrated. Besides "You Not Me" and "Burning My Soul," it's a great album.

ddtonfire likes this.
  16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm not commenting on quality here, it's just that's become such a silly thing to say and when everyone says it every album it stops meaning anything. IIRC that was the most common statement when the S/T came out a few years ago, which now seems to be a very unpopular album. I don't remember what people said about the last one during the initial excitement and I wasn't around for the albums between Octavarium and it. But, yeah, at this point I'm wondering what "form" they're referring to - they definitely have a sound that hasn't changed that much since Rudess took over. Well, besides ToT where he was kinda shoved in the background on many songs.

TLDR: Dream Theater albums are like Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I'll get this when I see the deluxe in a store and get an urge.

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Agreed :lol: I really like The Force Awakens though.

Anyway, this album is great. It's really hard to say what the exact thing missing from the S/T and ADToE was, but it's definitely present on this one. I mean, both those albums have great parts, but for whatever reason they just didn't stick like this new one does. I'm getting very similar vibes on this one as I did with Systematic Chaos, which I listened to for like a year straight in the car. I hope this one lasts as well :)

setsuna7 likes this.
  18. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I love this album. It's so damn tasteful. Everything since Portnoy left has been kinda meh for me and I think I only got through The Astonishing twice and never touched it again. Every song on this album is great. Haven't picked favorites yet but there's so much variety. Mangini and Myung sound extra good. Thanks DT.

Also Lines in the Sand is one of my favorite DT tracks. Falling Into Infinity isn't that bad.

19. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

James LaCheese still makes me cringe a bit sometimes when his singing comes in, but other than that it's pretty awesome. Mix is great, you can feel Myung. Drums don't sound like programmed samples anymore. Rhythm tone is the best it has been. S2N has possibly his best solo. Songs are more heavy and riff based than before.

It's my favourite for a long time, before Octavarium (everyone praises that here but it sounds like it was mastered with a Boss Metal Zone to me...)

fps likes this.
  20. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

It's a great album imo, minus a couple duds that were designed to be "radio hits" like You Not Me.

Sherinian's keyboards were awesome and I much prefer his style to Ruddess's.