Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Anyone else pre-order on iTunes only for it not to allow you to download the whole album?? Mine still isn't right and only letting me download like 5 tracks. DT put it on youtube though so at least i can listen that way.

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

I got it immediately after it was available midnight local time yesterday. was able to download the whole album.

3. TheShreddinHand

Dang okay....i'll keep trying some things. worst case i can contact Apple.

And crap, listening to Pale Blue Dot right now....sick!

setsuna7 likes this.
  4. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I also posted this response to youtube, but it may be of interest to others:

Unfortunately no. There are a lot of things in GP7 that GP5 cannot do, plus the overall look and presentation of 7 is much better. If you are interested in upgrading, you can get GP7 for 20% off here: https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=cart&from=sheethappens&addProduct=guitarPro&CodeReduction=SHEETHAPPENSGP7&&affiliate=sheethappens&utm_source=gpaffiliates&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=sheethappens

AxeHappy and Kaura like this.
  5. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

This album kicks major ass. Despite the interesting name for Barstool Warrior, it's a standout track and I'm surprised it wasn't released as a single.

mguilherme87 and Evan89 like this.
  6. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

Oh, I see. Personally I don't find use for the fancy features of GP7 and I've always preferred the simple layout of TuxGuitar even to GP5. Thanks anyway! Might reach out to you for the pdf-files though. :)

Evan89 likes this.
  7. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

Sure man! A lot of the stuff I'm referencing is aesthetic, but also stuff like pick slides (finally a feature in GP7).

8. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Ohhhh the tone on this one!!!!
    Definitely impressed

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Finished the album. Best thing they’ve done in a long time. Right now I stand with S2n as my favorite, but that can change.

Between this and the new Overkill, it is a fine day for Metal releases.

mguilherme87 and Jamey36 like this.
  10. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

This album is better than their last 3, imo. Good stuff on here. Loving Barstool Warrior.

BenjaminW and setsuna7 like this.
  11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

oooh sick dude. but yeah Im on the same boat were I dont own guitar pro so I use tuxguitar, so if PDFs are a thing then awesome. But I need to listen to the album first to see if theres something for me to learn that its up to my level of playing :p hahha

btw did you just did guitar? or is it guitar and bass?

Evan89 likes this.
  12. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

Just guitar parts. Each guitar track has its own PDF file: rhythm, lead, etc.

A-Branger likes this.
  13. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

Just listened start to finish having not heard a single note prior to doing so.

Goddamn.

Now that's a Dream Theater album. It reminds me of a combination of 6DoIT, Systematic Chaos, and their Self-Titled, but I also got vibes from all over the place, including FII and Octavarium. Also that Viper King song grooves so hard.

mguilherme87, BenjaminW and setsuna7 like this.
  14. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

It sounds they actually had fun when playing their instruments, that's how you know album is a good one. Definetly best since Octavarium.

15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I seem to be the only person who isn’t thrilled with Viper King. Not bad, just feels really out of place.
    But, it’s a bonus track, so it slides.
    I’m reallllyyy digging thing album more than anything they’ve done in forever. And will be attempting to learn S2n at some point.

setsuna7 likes this.
  16. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

So impressed with this. Best thing I've heard since 6 Degrees! Mangini has a great drum sound, FINALLY and the album has a lot of good energy to it. This actually feels inspired!

"Viper King" is a blast!

Great to hear LaBrie getting out of that boring 'just-barely-singing' range he's been in for a while. Killer guitar tones, great mix, this was MUCH needed. I really fell off after Train Of Thought, I've bought everything except for The Astonishing (which is pretty crazy considering how much of a DT fanboy I used to be) and didn't have my hopes high for this but decided to pre-order after hearing the first couple singles.

No problems on iTunes for me, downloaded just fine!

mguilherme87, fps and setsuna7 like this.
  17. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

It seems DT have gotten out of a creative or motivation rut, and it's really nice to hear !

Thanks a lot man ! I wouldn't have minded to pay for this transcription because I realize that it must have been the result of a lot of work.

If you're looking for a transcription market where there's a lot of demand and absolutely no offer (the band even stated that they didn't have the time to transcribe), then I suggest doing Scar Symmetry transcriptions. I thought about doing so myself but between 2 jobs and practicing guitar, I didn't have the time to do it (although I picked up about a dozen of Per's solos by ear). I'd definitely be your first customer ;)

Evan89 likes this.
  18. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

Thanks! It was definitely an intense period of work, but I'm happy to do it. I wanted to get accurate transcriptions out as soon as possible, to do my part in combating the inevitable awful internet tabs lol. Regarding Scar Symmetry, they're definitely on my list. Right now it's a matter of what to release next, because I have many full albums already complete. An alternate way of contributing to the DT project is purchasing my Cynic - Focus book: https://www.sheethappenspublishing.com/artists/cynic

setsuna7 likes this.
  19. TheShreddinHand

Best DT album since TOT for me. Digging every track save for out of reach.

Evan, you are the man! Thanks for sending the tabs and I’ll throw you some bones on PayPal later this week! Killer job!

Oh, and I figured out my iTunes issue. Album was hidden. I had to go into my account on the PC and change some stuff to unhide it. Pretty sure it’s cause I had family sharing on with restrictions on my daughters account. Fixed!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    mguilherme87, setsuna7 and Evan89 like this.
  20. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I've liked their recent stuff just fine, but this is definitely their strongest post-Portnoy outing.

Even the cheesy and cringy Out of Reach works for me.

Barstool Warrior may be the best track, and it was the one I was the least interested in based on title alone, haha. It totally makes sense with the subject matter though.

mguilherme87 and setsuna7 like this.