Dream Theater

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by p0ke, May 23, 2018.

1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Hmm, Shattered Fortress is my favourite even as a long term fan! The climax is great

A-Branger likes this.
  2. fps

fps Kit

I relistened to Black Clouds and Silver Linings and it's comfortably my favourite DT album since Train of Thought, with only ADTOE coming close.

scrub likes this.
  3. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Millhouse, lower those eyebrows!"

BC&SL isn't in my top DT albums, but the solo at the end of The Shattered Fortress is near perfect IMO. Just a great way to structure a build-up.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

except for the Glass Prison, yup, I love Shattered Fortress the most

5. Rock4ever

Rock4ever SS.org Regular

My impression is they know how to get themselves into these songs but on several occasions they lack an exit strategy. My best example? Outcry on ADTOE. THE song opens with a truly epic riff, the commoners rising up and then devolves into wankery and a crape verse or 2 that aren’t cohesive with the ones that precede it.

Razerjack and wankerness like this.
  6. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Pt. 2 was released recently:

They're comparing the writing process to that of Train of Thought, which is awesome, I really enjoyed watching those making of videos :) And it sounds like everyone's been contributing to some extent, which would be great too.

thesnowdog likes this.
  8. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

There was a short clip released some time ago and it really sounded recycled. Petrucci should take a break from his family and start spending time developing his songwriting. The band used to be quite good, but now...

9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I'm sure he's not lacking in that area at all, with that much experience... they spent in studio like 2-3 months, if that's not taking a break from other things then I don't know what is.

A-Branger likes this.
  10. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

Ten years

The Mirror likes this.
  11. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

yeah John, can you take a decade-long break from your family and go to a monastery to focus on your songwriting?

InHiding from the Internet would really appreciate it if you made that sacrifice.

Exchanger and AxeHappy like this.
  12. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

13. stevewonders

stevewonders The Force

Just so you know, i am an avid fan of Dream Theater way back high school!

14. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

A lot of people bag on that song, but for me, as someone who heard Glass Prison when Six Degrees came out and followed the 12 Step Suite all the way through, Shattered Fortress was a cathartic conclusion for me. When the intro to Glass Prison came back around to end Shattered Fortress, my.goosebumps had goosebumps. It was like the end of a long, trying, and cathartic journey.

A-Branger likes this.
  15. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Sure, I get that, and it has really awesome moments all around, but as one piece of music it just doesn't work IMO. I do listen to it from time to time as part of the 12 step suite playlist I've got on Spotify, but it's easily my least favorite of those songs.

fps likes this.
  16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I guess I'll actually go see them next time they come around so I can see Metropolis 2 live. And there's no way the new album could be less entertaining than The Astonishing.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

same..... I still remember the first time I heard The Glass Prisson, it was at a mate's house in our drummer's car, he jsut found a internet mp3 rip of it (with a small jump on the song). and at one point I jsut sit down in the gorund with my jaw open like WTF!!.... I jsut had spend couple of years (I think), trying to learn the bass parts of Metropolis, and Awake, and I&W songs, and then he drops this monstrous bass riffs all around the song, plus hearing the guitar solos thinking to myself (poor of our guitar guy lol).

still ahvent fully learn the song. Everytime I start practicing the hard bits, I loose momentum the next day and get bored quickly. I dont ahve the power to concentrate on it like when I was 18-20

I think the Astonishing was a deliverate album, jsut to put the bar a touch too low so the next album just "boom!" :p

18. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I saw them twice on the original Metropolis 2 tour and I think it's the first time a band is playing an "anniversary" tour of a tour I saw originally. Makes me feel old as crap :D

Last time I saw DT was when they played the entire Master of Puppets in New York during the Six Degrees tour, that's about the time I stopped listening to them too.

MoP is obviously one of the greatest albums ever, but what a boring set that was. Ruddess and Labrie obviously don't give a crap about that album, Ruddess was reading sheet music the entire time and Labrie had the lyrics on a teleprompter. Classic Portnoy "let's do something only I really want to do" moment.

Should have spent an hour playing older DT songs instead.

19. Kaura

Kaura single-coils do djent!

Wait, did I understand this correctly... They played Master of Puppets, the album BY METALLICA in full? :squint:

20. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

thesnowdog likes this.