Dream Theater Bass

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Duosphere, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

So how could you possibly know it's their best album?
    Sometimes I ask myself if people think before saying stuff.
    Obviously some don't :lol:

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I think he meant he's heard it all, he just never feels like listening to it when he could just listen to that one again instead.

I was a Metropolis 2 fanboy for a few weeks, then I started just getting annoyed by the horrendous siren-sounding keyboard patches, to the point where I just couldn't deal with listening to Metropolis 2 anymore. Jordan Rudess's square wave leads are a thing of pure torture. It's too bad, because besides those, I greatly prefer his playing! I think his best work is on LTE2.

After several years of not listening to it, I listened to it again in maybe 2010 or so. I was pretty stunned by how solid the songs were. Apart from the terrible endless solo sections on things like Beyond this Life, it's a pretty killer album with a lot of great hooks. I still remembered almost every note of the guitar parts. That album was also incredibly playable, I used to play along with the rhythm parts to the whole thing in high school regularly (apart from things like the outro to Home, or most of Dance of Eternity!). I haven't listened to it again since then, but I acknowledge it's probably their most consistent album, even though "Awake" is my favorite by a long shot.

Best DT keyboard solo ever was definitely the middle section of Trial of Tears! :hbang:

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so this went from "songs that start with bass", to a DT fanboys

and like any other fanboy stereotype we all falled into the "the old stuff was better" lol

I love them all, this is the only band I actually own every CD, and yes, old stuff was better. Systematic Chaos..mmmm is there, not quite (more from the sentimental value of that time when I first listened), I do like Octavarium, the song "Octavarium" is in one of my top favorites. But everything that came after that it started to go downhill for me.

Couple of good songs here and there, and the 2 cds sinse Portnoy left the band have been awful, really awful. I can recall every note on every song at any time of any of the "old" Cds. With the new ones, I listened and like nothing, goes into one ear comes out the other

4. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

I agree 100% but I'm not a fan boy, I give no free pass to their stuff even though they're my fav band since 1994.DT took prog music to another level, they mixed all bands I liked and added their awesome technique not only about speed and new licks but about composition(PERSONALITY).That being said, we have to understand it's impossible to ask to any artist to keep that level for decades........oops they kept the same level but obviously like ours, they tastes changed and they got new influences, a band that keep playing the same stuff over and over is dead, ask about it to ..........Malmsteen.
    They could easily keep recording I&W 1....2.....3.....etc but not, each album sounds completely different, we never know how the new album will sound and that's more difficult than keep playing the same stuff.The biggest problem is, as their 4 first albums were sooooooo strong, sooooo creative and soooooooo phenomenal at the point of changing an entire genre, nothing they could record after will feel the same, that's impossible, those guys already did what the majority of artists can't.
    I don't think their old stuff was better, I think it was different the same about me, I had different tastes and today I'm a different person After 30 years to me they still sound amazing but as everything alive, they changed and sometimes they took directions I didn't like but that's not a problem cause I know their next album probably will sound completely different :shred:

5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeah 100% agree too. The main reason why is favourite band (apart from the high level of musicianship) is the fact they can go from the slowest make you cry song, up to the fast angry one. They cover everything, they dont follow rules.

And yes I love the fact that every CD has its own sound and vibe. But the last two, I didnt feel it that strong as any other ones. Having say that, prob the next one would be another game changer.

they made a massive influence on me and on my bass playing. Ive never get the level I achieved of playing bass if it wasnt for countless hours and hours and hours of playing their songs:shred::hbang:

6. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Yep and doing that, they made people who didn't like prog to start liking prog, I had friends who weren't musicians so they used to hate DT complex difficult instrumental parts BUT............they really loved Another Day and probably all ballads, like you said they cover everything helping a genre to spread where it wasn't not even considered...................music :wallbash:
    I even had some non metal friends(more like pop rock friends) who always seen metal as a joke or noise, Pull Me Under made them start liking metal, it was insane one night having friends who couldn't even listen to metal and the other night they were headbanging with Pull Me Under, that was awesome!

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I even had a couple of friends punk rocker who called DT "nintendo music" :spock:

the funny thing is when you tell them like after 8 min that they are still listening the same song lol

I remember couple of times when my old brothers still were at home and they were using the computer where I used to practice. Off course good old big sister annoyed at me playing "metal" right next to her. Shes like "one more song!"..... I was like "ok, last one I promise"......next thing....... A change of seasons... LOL:lol:

8. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

9. Richie666

Richie666 SS.org Regular

.... yeah Dream Theater! I have a DT kick every summer which I am currently in the midst of.

To be relevant to the thread: Myung is the man. One of my favorite grooves of his is in Learning to Live.

10. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Back to the bass thing, While its not strictly a song intro (well I guess it is within a song cycle), I love the bass that starts the second part of Octivarium ("Medicate").

That album doesn't get nearly enough love, as far as I'm concerned.

11. DXL

DXL SS.org Regular

I've done that to a friend but with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence :lol:

12. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Rusty Cooley solos sound like nintendo music to me, in fact they sound like a broken Atari to my ears :lol:

13. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Here's all the song that begin with only bass, or with prominent bass on their studio albums, not counting live or demos or whatever.

The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun (bass harmonics over keyboard/guitar?)
    Take The Time (bass and kick rhythm over pads)
    Voices (thanks to A-Branger for reminding me)
    Lifting Shadows Off A Dream (bass harmonics)
    Scarred (bass tapping)
    Burning My Soul (drum and bass opening)
    Hell's Kitchen (is that wah-wah'ed bass?)
    Home (bass phrygian riff over sitar and ....)
    The Dance Of Eternity (bass rhythmic pattern over stuff)
    The Glass Prison (bass chordal pattern over keys and noise)
    Blind Faith (bass chords over keyboards)
    The Great Debate (cool bass riff over drums and spoken voices)
    As I Am (distorted bass harmonics)
    Vacant (does that count?)
    Panic Attack (cool bass riff)
    In The Presence Of Enemies Pt. 2 (bass octaves over keyboards)
    A Rite Of Passage (weird distorted bass)
    [Nothing on A Dramatic Turn Of Events or DT!!!]

14. wankerness

I forgot about that song. It does have bass harmonics, but it's kinda buried behind that annoying blaring guitar lead.

The first section is mainly keyboard (some kind of Rhodes noise), then guitar with wah and bass come in on the descending thingies at the end of the phrases. Definitely wouldn't call that prominent/featured bass.

The bass doesn't come in till a minute into the song, it's all guitar and the sitar before then. The bass is fairly prominent but there's always guitar and keyboards with it.

That's guitar, the song was played on a Bari guitar tuned to A so it sounds like bass in the intro. Bass doesn't come in till 49 seconds and is just playing a simplified version of what the guitar was already doing.

Yeah, that one is prominent, it's coming in over the keyboard basically playing the same thing, but the keyboard is all phased out and in the background.

I don't actually know if that's bass or not, the first non-keyboard notes sound like clean guitar to me, but then it gets lower and is definitely just bass with the keyboard, so either they do a subtle tradeoff or the first notes are bass too. Crappy live videos make it look like Myung is the only one playing besides the keyboard there, so yeah, I missed this one!

Sounds to me like the bass is being doubled the whole time by a phased clean guitar, but maybe not? Maybe live it's just bass, I haven't heard any of this later stuff live because I didn't really care about them by this point :(

Yeah, I think you're right on that one too, I have listened to that album like twice in my life and when skipping through song intros I thought that was guitar. Definitely sounds like guitar doesn't enter till :14 now that I listen to more than 12 seconds of it :D

15. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Really? On guitar pro tabs, when I looked at them, it was the bass that was doing the beginning.

16. wankerness

Guitar pro tabs are just the tabber's opinion and are frequently VERY wrong (I'm still holding out hope that someone with working ears will tab learning to live, since I'm too lazy to do it myself). The official tab book (which is also just the tabber's opinion, of course!) has all of that on guitar. I actually copied the tab book tab to powertab back in 2003, meaning it's probably been uploaded to ultimate-guitar if you want to take a look. If you listen to the album, it sounds like a fatter bass tone comes in at 49 seconds, though, which suggests to me it isn't bass. Seems like live they play it with the bass doing all of that by itself, though, so who knows what happened on the album. The live one has a bass intro for sure, we'll go with. :D

EDIT: Yeah, the one I copied from the book is on there as the version 2 powertab.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

you forgot Voices :rolleyes: again

its like only bass!!, and coming from a bass solo from erotomania!!... why no one here has point that out apart from me lol

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

btw this is from where I got all my DT tabs in the past

Power Tab Archive (PTA) @ powertabs.net

guitarpro I never could find accurate tabs for bass, no one could tab the little subtle things myung did. Then I eventually found this site and change my life. I like the software better. If there is more than one version you need to look at them al, chances are only one of those is the correct one.

for a few years the site was shut down due to copy writes, but now is open free again to download.

I only used the tab books for unisons. My aunt gave me the I&W ones, so I learn as much as I could from bass doubling guitar parts. So I used to double check this tabs with the book. A change of Seasons is the only book that comes with bass. And I think there was an anthology book wiht bass?

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

nop!, thats keayboard playing the arppegios, bass and guitar playing the melody notes, guitar with wah-wah, bass with chorus?

guitar is tuned to D, so you can actually play that first melody if you want with the open D string of the bass to have fun, but the bass only starts at the 1:00 mark with the main riff (in a way is like th ebass is starting the song), riff that non DT fans would say: "oh thats tool right?" lol

technicaly yes, but the guitar starts so close to it, that I wont really include it. I would include Home as the its the main riff, this is a couple bars before guitar starts doing the same

although yes, this is a guitar in A.... the bass is also playing there too. So its both bass and guitar playing on the same octave. Its hard to spot, but if you reaaaally pay attention you can identify the subtle differences between the two

hence why you can never get a "oh there is the bass starting point". listen to the 1:08 mark were the guitar go into a different palm mute groove and bass keep the main riff, and also from 1:22 on the pre-chorus, as the bass goes to do his own thing, and one of the bass riff I love most (I love when he does those small harmonic slides/notes things, soo simple yet soo beutiful) in there you can identify what is the bass sound/fx

I would say yes. Piano is only making a chord while the bass does the melody. That song is only bass-piano-chello.... and voice off course

:hbang:

yup thats bass, no guitar overdub. Just a bass with a phaser? flanger? chorus?.... one of those... I dont really like effects on my bass lol

nop nothing :squint:

also I could ad New Milenium??.... If Im not wrong he was using a chapman stick for that song?, hence the weird begining tapping riff, followed by bass notes tapping.

20. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

I wanted to put NM, but upon listening to it again, I thought there was no bass in the opening tapping section, and I'm not even sure there is guitar there. Perhaps only keyboards, although there is something guitar-like, maybe a Chapman Stick like you said. Anyway, the bass tapping only comes in pretty late in the song.