[DREAM NGD] All-aluminium 7 String EGC! Baritone!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Brndn, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Brndn

Brndn SS.org Regular

Hi SSO. Long time no post, but it's a good one. Head below and skip to 11:51 if you only want to hear how it sounds and don't care what I have to say about it / have no interest in how it is made.

This instrument has a long and painful story, but now it will go with me into the tomb. I've been trying for 6/7 years to get Kevin/Jason/EGC to lock in an order for one of these for me. Money was no object for me to get it done. Despite that, I was politely declined several times and ended up ordering a 6 string custom Series 500 with the specs I was after, just took the L on the low A string.

Then, it nearly happened twice after that. If you're one to care, you might have seen their announcement a year or two ago (in this very forum perhaps) about a run of 7 string necks/guitars being built. Never got off the ground. In the end I all but gave up and accepted it was a silly idea, commissioned other things to try and fill the void (and got lovely guitars out of it like a Wandre-style Harvester Serie Antonio 077 7 string which I have not posted about yet, but I should).

I'll try to be brief for the next bit: this guitar was custom ordered by a Russian fellow in 2014, wasn't completed due to various misfortunes until 2019, and when it was sent to him the Russian border wouldn't let it in and automatically returned it. Back to Alabama. EGC then sold it on his behalf to recoup his costs, and it disappeared. Three weeks ago it turned up for sale again in Ipswich in QLD (why and how did it get to Australia?), so I bought it IMMEDIATELY. So here we are, with probably the only ERG EGC built in the last 6/7 years and one of a very small handful ever. I think Jens still has one of the two 8 strings.

Specs:

• 26.5" Scale, 22 frets, 20" radius, thin U neck. Similar to a 90s Universe Ibanez or an ESP but with a flatter board. Jescar stainless frets and Grover Rotomatics.
    • Rehoused Seymour Duncans (of some kind) into 'spreader' covers. Stephen Carpenter style arrangement. Actually good! Sounds like it has a neck pickup.
    • All aluminium, semi-hollow body clamshell type construction. Neck through shell. Pickups mounted to neck, bridge mounted directly to neck billet through the top, top and back mounted together and secured to neck from the back. String through body/neck. Rings like a tuning fork.
    • Mirror gloss finish (subsequently i've removed this). Textured powder back. Mirror gloss neck.
    • ELECTRONICS: Originally had a latching Carling switch up top as a killswitch (why??) and no vol/tone. Vol/Tone were added when re-sold at some point. Sprague orange drop caps, CTS audio taper pots and jack, ex-NASA Thermax mil spec wire.
    • SKB iSeries bomb-proof case.

Suffice it to say I can't believe I've finally pulled this guitar out of my dreams and get to play it for the rest of my life. Even if it wasn't actually built for me in the first place, it sure feels like it was. Say what you want about Kevin (there are a lot of people who have negative experiences and opinions that I can't invalidate), but the man is a brilliant machinist and he steams a good ham. I hope this year will see him restore his reputation as the best in the game, and a sweetheart (because he is one, actually).

Very much looking forward to writing the third Convulsing record with this...
    ... and every other thing I do from now on.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Nice, the closest I got to a mirror is my UV's pickguard, but it doesn't get in the way of playing the guitar. I can only imagine the challenge it would be like to have a mirror fingerboard.

Nevertheless, looks a great player and your chops are really nice also, so double congrats I guess.

3. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

This is so cool. I’ve wanted an EGC guitar forever and have somehow never pulled the trigger, partially because there really aren’t a lot of clips out there showing what they sound like. This is definitely giving me a push, sounds absolutely gorgeous - and the Miles Davis was a nice touch! HNGD!

4. Brndn

Brndn SS.org Regular

There's plenty of content, just in very specific places. "Aluminium Axes" group on Facebook is a good home for it all; lots of players and coming up to a dozen different builders post stuff in there. Exciting stuff coming from Developing Nations, Robot Graves, Baguley, Obstructures and Aluminati as they slowly increase production and variety.

Based on what I've played (a lot of them), I'd rank EGC at the top, then Obstructures, then DNG. None of whom will currently make a seven string guitar (over the years I've asked quite literally everyone). I'd buy a 7 string obstructures any day if I could.

The Harvester I mentioned looks like this (but it's in the video too, obviously): [​IMG]

secretpizza likes this.
  5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Absolutely sick guitar dude

Developing Nations has put out some cool pieces, Spencer Hazard of Full of Hell seems to love his DNGs

Brndn likes this.
  6. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard guy incognito

Really cool, I'd love to try out an EGC some day. Thumbs up for Convulsing too. :yesway:

7. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Beautiful guitar. Putting an RGI neck on a Jazzmaster is something I've been toying with for a while now - really love the Developing Nations stuff too.