Downsizing my rigg?

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
Because of a lack of time i am thinking of selling off my pride and joy rigg. My evh 5150 III 50 watt head and my Orange ppc412 cab. For one thing it is expensive gear "for me" and i am only using it once every other month at the band room since work and kids and girlfriend have taken most of my free time. I had my rigg at home in my apartment for awhile it i could use it with the volume at 0.5 and it sounded cool at lower volumes but i dont think i am doing it justice when playing at lower volumes like this. Thinking of selling it and getting some cool more apartment friendly gear. Solid state is an option as well as processors. Any suggestions/advice?

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
An interface + monitors has been basically unbeatable for low-volume practicing for me. Plus you also have recording tools with that. I ended up paying about $275 for a used Scarlett 2i4 and two on-sale krk rokkit 5s and the freeware I've found actually sounds really, really good.

putnut77

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kemper Profiler + Monitors. Easy peasy. Plus if you play out live, you just bring the profiler and go front of house.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
What is your budget? If money is no object, Axe FX or Kemper through monitors would be my first choice. Though you'll want a powered PA speaker/other FRFR solution, or a poweramp/cab for live playing, if you still intend to jam with others or play live.

Aris_T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 for Kemper and monitors. I was exactly at your place and it worked perfectly for me.

redlol

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was looking at the Engl Ironball 20w the other day, it can be turned down to as low as 1w or off completely using headphones and from the demos I watched it has some serious balls. Might wanna check it out, plus it looks cool as hell. My vote goes for that or an Ironheart studio (or 60w head since it has the wattage control too) and a mesa or orange 1x12 or 2x12 cab depending on preference. You are in Europe as well, where Engl is pretty affordable compared to north America.

Axefx or KPA are always good choices but lot of extra things needed to utilize them- monitors (decent pair start at 400 bucks at least), interface (100 bucks say) and then the huge cost of the unit itself over 2 grand if you buy new and even used ones are over 1500 oftentimes. If you're just practicing and jamming at home then a good low watt tube amp and a great v30 loaded cab is all you need.

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
I am actually looking for a cheaper solution. I have always told myself the most expensive does not allways mean the best. However i have heard great things about those two units. For reference i have owned a ironheart studio before and i didnt like it. I also owned an hd 500 before and felt like i spent more time tweaking and was not 100% happy with the sound probably because of the cheap computer speakers i was using.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
You don't need an interface to run the Axe fx or Kemper into monitors.

I think you did with the standard/ultra, but not with the axe fx II. I can plug monitors direct into the rear outputs.

Also has a USB ports so you can plug if direct into your computer. You don't need an interface but you can use one of you want.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
If you wanna save coin and just jam out around the apartment, a peavey bandit might be good for you. They can sound pretty mean at low volumes. Ive got an Orange 35LDX solid state combo i have by the couch. Has a bunch of built in effects (just ok at best) but cleans and distortion are pretty nice for a small SS amp. Its about $250 over here.