Douglas SR-370 Bevelmod. [In Progress]

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by CooleyJr, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Since I STILL haven't heard about the SR-370s bodies getting.. hacked away at yet.. I figured I'd be the first.

EDIT! : I've decided to name it Susan. Aka.. "The Deviled Bevel" The bevels will be stained black, and the top/body and headstock will be stained a dark cherry (not black cherry). The name fits so I'm keepin it. :D

BEVELS!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sweet curves. Ahem...
    I'm not anywhere near done yet. I still have a lot of work on the back of the lower horn and in the cutaway.. plus I'll be making the bevels about 20-30% deeper than they are now. I'd say about another 4-5 hours of work just on grinding on the wood.
    Next is to take the finish off of the body and headstock. Then maybe a custom logo for the headstock. I can't wait till it's done!

2. PlagueX1

PlagueX1 Banned

BEVELS

CooleyJr likes this.
  3. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

looks good! post more

CooleyJr likes this.
  4. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Thanks! I'll do some more in a few hours.
    This is what it looks like put back together right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to get this done! The vision of what it's gonna look like will be worth the work. Definitely.

5. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Couple more pics as of now.
    Underside bevel is now larger and more curvaceous.

[​IMG]

And both cutaway bevels are deeper on the front.

[​IMG]

6. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

MOAR PROGRESS!!

[​IMG]

The bevels are a bit bigger this time around. I think this is the final shaping of the front. Just need to sand all the clear off and get ready to stain within the next week or so. \m/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sculpting on the back of the lower horn to follow shortly. Arms are sore for the moment so after some food and a smoke.. I'll be back to it!

7. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Cutaway fun! About 1/4 finished on this part. After this its time to remove the finish!

[​IMG]

8. MapleMan

MapleMan Schwob Guitars

Nice work buddy! Looks like some nice changes to an otherwise simple body-shape.

*thumbs up*

little thing though, just so you know. Naptha doesnt actually make the grain pop during the stain process, naptha is just used to show what the wood will look like with some oil/lacquer (without actually applying oil/lacquer). If you are looking to enhance the grain, there are special methods using chemicals to get the stain to saturate further into the grain and give you a deeper effect. But you will find most builders are very protective about their techniques for things like this.

I could be persuaded to give some advice on the secret techniques, hehe. :shred:

CooleyJr likes this.
  9. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Thanks! I did not know that... I'd.. uh.. really like to know some of those secret techniques :D
    I still have a lot of filing to do to get the back of this cutaway down to where I'd like.
    That and I hate sanding finishes off... From making the bevels I've noticed that the clear on this guitar is 1/16th inch. That's the thickness of the top on this. Haha!

10. MapleMan

MapleMan Schwob Guitars

use a lacquer stripper and a scraper to take off the finish. It will take a lot less time, and will be a lot less work in the end! There are quite a few strippers that I have used before, just been using an eco-safe one over the past few weeks. Its completely non-toxic and can be used in doors.

In regards to getting the stain to soak further into the woods, I will PM you.

Nothing against anyone on this forum of course, I would just rather not have my special techniques on the internet for all to see. But if anyone else is genuinely interested, drop me a PM and I will fill you in.

11. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

I'm not sure if I have access to enough cash to get the lacquer stripper though man. Kinda sucks because it would save me about 6 hours of sanding, but I guess I really have no choice unless someone decides to give me $20 more :lol: I think I'll have to bug my mom just to help me get some sandpaper. I have enough for stain and... *insert secret ingredient here* but that's it.

12. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

This is the coarse file I'm using for base shaping.

[​IMG]

It is.. a monster. About to start up again on the cutaway. I need it finished by the end of the day for some play tests. Once its to where it needs to be, refinishing will follow!

13. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

More done on the cutaway. This is taking forever :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Cutaway is almost at it's final shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

I'm gonna raid Lowes tomorrow. Any good names in stain that aren't too expensive? I'm looking for a REALLY black black.. and a deep Dark Cherry that isn't TOO dark. A really nice red is what I'm looking for.

16. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Gettin' down to the grimy and gritty!!

[​IMG]

SUPPLIES!!!

[​IMG]

I'll give it another 2-3 days and Susan will be completed! Look for more progress soon! :D

17. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Keep it up!

18. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Looks nice man! I've been toying with doing some Petrucci-esque contours kinda like that on cheap strat bodies.

19. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Thanks man :) Work like this is really fun. Lots of labor involved.. but it's fun.
    As of now I have about 90% of the finish off the top sanded off, about 10% of the sides, and about 40% of the back. I was REALLY bored of sanding the body so I started on the headstock and neck. 60 grit to take the finish off the headstock, and 220 to rough up the neck and back of the headstock to be able to absorb the stain :) I can't take pics of it at the moment but I have a strip of tape going down the center of the neck to make like a faux skunk stripe the length of the neck. Outsides of the neck and sides of the headstock will be stained Ebony, and the stripe will be stained Red Mahogany. If I can get my webcam to work tomorrow I'll take some pics.

20. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

I got my webcam working again. Dunno wtf was wrong with it in the first place but here's the prepped neck! The bare parts you see in this pic will be stained ebony. First coat probably within the next hour or so. It includes around the headstock. Second coat when I wake up tomorrow. More updates as they come!
    Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.