Doug has orders open for 20th anniversary?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ChrispyFinch, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Maybe despite all of our pretense, metal guitarists are neanderthals who can ignore all the crazy shit bass builders do on a daily basis, look at a tidily-constructed & spec'ed superstrat in natural finish, and declare that innovation has occurred.

Or maybe stylistically people were ready more natural looks for the type of guitar.

JimF likes this.
  2. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

well sort of indeed. Though the question was about the price being in the tens of thousands. I get the innovative minimalistic design (which i don't buy too much, as how different is this body from an average superstrat like the soloist or rg, the headstock looks like a shaved reverse esp one etc) but 10 grand? sounds a bit cultish.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Like everyone has said: availability. There are only x amount available, and if you want one, the price is what it is.

Folks spend that kind of money on stuff all the time. Not sure why that's so weird. :shrug:

budda and projectjetfire like this.
  4. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

Fair enough. i think, I guess, there are way more people wanting to buy a guitar like this for such money than i could ever imagine

5. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

To this day the only guitar I ever wanted bad enough that it hurt was a just a normal ass B2 and I was just born 10 years too late to really have the money/opportunity to nab one :rofl:

Not so much a big deal to not own a specific guitar, but the years I was an unemployed kid/minimum wage worker with no savings really made me develop strong negative feelings about the people who bought and flipped them, even if I know I gotta hate the player not the game.

And Feline isn't gonna make B6s anymore? I should've hopped on that a couple years ago when I could justify that price to myself, damn.

6. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

There's some good irony here

7. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian Contributor

Probably because that was the starting price the last time you were able to get your hands on a B2 fresh from Doug, I think there were only 2 or 3 and they were sold auction style starting at 10k. IIRC they all went to the same person.

As far as interest goes, I'm sending him an email right now. If I can get my hands on one for less than 10k I'm doing it, but I seriously doubt I should be so lucky.

Those guitars resonated with me on such a level when I first saw them that I wanted to get good enough at guitar to justify owning one (back when they were like $5k instruments- that goalpost has moved a lot :lol:) and started to actually take it as an instrument seriously. To finally accomplish that 10+ year goal would unironically be more satisfying than buying my house was.

JimF, budda and steinmetzify like this.
  8. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

Sure, there are countless Superstrats like Blackmachines around. However, not a single one looks as good the B2. The shape in its fine details is just perfect. Not even the copycats got shape right, lol.

9. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but honestly some of these guitars are the planest Janes of all plane Janes. As if someone got a soloist kit and put it together as is.
    Pardon me seems i just can't get in terms with these guitars.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  10. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

As I said, it‘s not so much the materials that are used but the design and shape of the guitar. How balanced the horns are with respect to the body. Not too fat, not too thin, not too much angled. He got it just right.
    Of course, there are some aspects I do not like about his designs like the lack of belly cuts or his arm facets that cut through the binding. The jack placement is also not ideal in my eyes.
    However, judging from looks alone, his B2 is the greatest guitar shape of them all.

Basically this motivated me to build these guitars myself with above shortcomings fixed. Would I buy an original? For 3k maybe, if it‘s exactly the spec I want. Higher prices I leave to the collectors.

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

You did tho!

crackout and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  12. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Feline guitars in the UK have been building them for a few years now. They make their own range anyway but if you keep for a BM, give feline a shout. If you want a Doug built one though, prob best to wait for the reply to your email. Be interested in seeing what he says!

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

You have to remember these caught the public eye when everything was brown rosewood fretboards, basswood covered in a thick colour + gloss, tremelos on everything, skull/cross inlays, emgs, thick necks and bodies. Back then they were exotic and a sorely needed fresh take on the strat design despite the simplicity. They were anything but considered plain back then.

JimF and projectjetfire like this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

I recognize that Blackmachine really struck lightning, but no need for revisionism.

It's easy to look up catalogs from that time.

If anything it takes away from what Doug did to say he was just competing with shit.

Lorcan Ward, projectjetfire and budda like this.
  15. Ted Pikul

Ted Pikul SS.org Regular

That's a beautiful guitar. Does that headstock shape have an acoustic function, or is it just aesthetics (which would be ok)? I'm curious specifically about the lack of wood, and the particular place that it's removed from, relative to more conventional headstock shapes.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Did anyone even enquire yet? I’d be interested to know if prices are above 10k.

It was to reduce weight and stop neck dive from having a thin body. It mostly has aesthetic appeal and it’s more than enough wood to hold the tension from the strings.

Ted Pikul and IbanezDaemon like this.
  17. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I was curious to know the price, specs etc. so i sent an email but never got a reply...

18. ChrispyFinch

ChrispyFinch SS.org Regular

Same, I emailed doug the day I opened the thread out of curiosity. So I guess this is only for the who's who. Or potentially another auction style.

19. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I think that last limited run was around £10k a pop....the ones with the Ibby Voyager type cutaway. I was gonna enquire but I doubt I'd even get a reply having never dealt with the guy before. I'd be out at anything north of £5k as well which I'm sure these will be.

20. MaxOfMetal

Ah, good to see nothing has changed. :lol: