DOUBLE TOPIC: Visualization in Compositions and Blind Guitar Players

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by cult-leader-of-djent, May 13, 2013.

1. cult-leader-of-djent

cult-leader-of-djent SS.org Regular

When you write a composition ,do you as a musician visualize how it will be played and what it will sound like? Do you close your eyes ?

When senses heighten with your eyes closed you can hear things better, but when a blind man plays guitar he can hear notes better in return making him learn the notes of a guitar quicker it can also lead to detecting chord styles better.

A video I came across. This man seems amazing right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=101QVi-uU9g

farren likes this.
  2. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

I don't visualize much when I write, the fretboard it too distracting. I'd like to experiment with depriving myself of my sight to see if my hearing ability really does get better.

3. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

Absolutely, I imagine everything being played in front of an audience, or from another persons perspective if I can manage it.

4. Ginsu

Ginsu SS.org Regular

This is actually a pretty fascinating subject. I've done very little actual research, but I have a lot to say about this. :D I hear it as if it were an actual recording in my head, usually. I can do that with songs I've heard, or anything I'm about to write if I know what it'll sound like. I don't visualize it in terms of the fretboard, but often there's a sort of....visual representation. I have synesthesia, so I see shapes, a sort of line that moves with the melody, different boxes that move up and down and left and right and in all the corners for different things, and the colors depend on timbre, combinations thereof, key, stuff like that. The only one I can really generalize is that compositions with G# as the root of the VI chord (particularly B major or C minor) are always dark greenish-olive grey (sometimes they're pretty close to the darker of the two greys used on this site, just with more green, for reference). An example that always stands out to me is Kevin Sherwood and Elena Siegman's "115", that's one of the most strongly green-grey songs I've ever heard. It gets black in some parts though. The melody above the chorus is black. There's white lines, jagged, at varying angles, that go across the whole thing, but especially the chorus. When it hits the G# in the chorus especially, a massive amount of green-grey mixes in with the black from the melody above. I don't physically see it in front of me, it's just in my head.

Sometimes, I actually get like a sort of video, most prominently thus far for Periphery's "Scarlet" (which oddly enough has a lot of grey-green IN IT, but the song itself is not grey-green...it actually looks like scarlet at some parts, like the main riff, the bridge is black, as is that big chordy section, and the chorus is mostly gold. still haven't watched the REAL video, because I don't want to ruin the idea of mine), Signalrunners' "Corrupted", and Part Two of TesseracT's "Concealing Fate" which is a sprawling desert wasteland when the video isn't there, and these black smoky things that almost look like swarms of locusts except, well, made of smoke, and with twisted white jagged faces, and they start chasing this guy across the desert, and he eventually finds a place to hide, and it's in this big temple ruins thing underground, and it turns out that's where the monsters are from...He has to sort of survive their attacks for a bit, and then he's able to seal them in this crystal thing...that's what that song sounds like to me.

I think the first time I recall anything like this happening, SPECIFICALLY, was from Owl City's first album. Umbrella Beach and On the Wing in particular seemed to draw out that side of my mind, and I've been hearing things as colors and images ever since. I sort of did before, but never as vividly as that. The first song I learned to play on piano, Yiruma's "River Flows in You" is a sort of light purplish-grey, and broadens in both light and dark directions as it grows more intense...the exact shade and degree of gradient changes with the dynamics. I think light-purplish grey is a very romantic color, maybe that's why.

Also, I sometimes use facial movements as a sort of mnemonic for dynamics, but I don't have an actual system, I just go with whatever seems right. I find memorizing songs particularly easy, and can usually play an entire song (in my head, not on an instrument, I don't have the ear or technique for that) from memory after a single listen (though generally only the guitar part, I rarely listen to the other parts, unless there is a keyboard). If I so choose, I also can visualize the music as tabs or sheet music, but that can only go as far as my ear and theory knowledge will allow (not too far, I suck with actual pitches, I can only do intervals).

I swear, I've never used drugs in my entire life. You can interpret that as sincere or sarcastic, I don't care. XD

5. farren

farren SS.org Regular

Thanks for posting this topic--definitely something to think about.

6. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

During different songs I have different kinds of visualizations, personally, and most of them are particularly vivid. One such type of visualization that I get is one that I typically associate with Animals as Leaders' music; however it happens with lots of the music that I listen to and my hypothesis is that my brain only uses this kind for strong themes that have a clear idea behind them and are cohesive, but usually are very complex. (ex., a fugue)

Instead of making a long-winded explanation of these visualizations, I will link to a video I made a while back based on this very idea:

7. Ginsu

Ginsu SS.org Regular

That reminds me of a video I watched repeatedly when I was younger, called The Mind's Eye. It was the early days of computer animation, but it was all stuff similar to that set to music. It's still an inspiration to me today. Basically, your video is really cool.