Double NGD: Strange Women Lying in Ponds Distributing Guitars/Paying my Dues

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by prlgmnr, Apr 20, 2017.

1. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

We have one here that I've been planning on for a long time and one that was sort of unexpected but came due to a great price from Thomann.

Firstly, Vigier Excalibur Special Trem in Black Diamond Matte, maple fretboard, DiMarzio Paf Pro, FS1 and Tone Zone, Vigier 2011 non-locking trem, locking tuners, 24 frets, 12 inch radius (or, 11.81 in fact).

This thing is just... there's not a thing wrong with it, amazing tone from single coil clean to singing high gain, so playable that I'm going to have to have a guitar cull because several others just aren't going to get played anymore. Tuning stability is solid as a rock. Anyway, enough talking, here are pictures. I don't know if the top might be a bit divisive, but I love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second up, Duesenberg 440. My brother has had a 49er as his main gigging and recording guitar for a while and it's an absolute beast, I'd been on the look out for a 335 typey thing (was also eyeing up an early 80s Ibanez AS100) and this came up on Thomann at a price too good to miss. One of the few hollows and semi-hollows Duesenberg do without a Bigsby-style trem, which I've sworn off for life. The P90 is really fat and warm for jazz stuff and the bridge humbucker just keeps on taking gain. I wouldn't normally care about the gubbins that come in a case but the stuff they chose to go with this tickled me a little bit so I've included that in the pics. This has got me wanting to play more of your straightforward rock type stuff than I have done for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll keep this up to date with what I think about them in a few months time. Ought to get some tone samples as well but whether that will come before or after the comparison I keep meaning to make of the various channels, modes, power settings and etc etc on my Mark V only time will tell.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The top on that Vigier is super nice. I dig it. :yesway:

3. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Super sweet Vigier!

4. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Awesome! Amazing-looking top on that Vigier. These are fantastic instruments; my GV is just a stunning instrument on every aspects of it.

5. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Wow, that Duesenberg is equal parts modern and classy, like a Ferrari. Do want.

6. yuri_1973

yuri_1973 Romantic Shredder

Super-cool Vigier with a matte finish, ain't it ?

How's the action?
    Did it arrive with floating trem setup or did it come dive-only?

Happy double-NGD !!

7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Action is about 2mm on the bass side, 1.5 on the treble, not super low or anything. Neck relief is just how I like it, just a touch more than none at all. There's a little bit of buzz acoustically but nothing that affects the sound or sustain when plugged in.

Trem is floating and has destroyed my world view in terms of what guitars can and can't stay in tune through large bends and trem use.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Congrats!