Double NGD: I Thought I Hated Mayo...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by FourT6and2, May 5, 2016.

1. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 SS.org Regular

...Turns out, it's ....ing delicious. :hbang:

I've always played PRS and Les Pauls. Sure I've noodled around on other guitars in shops over the years, but I've never owned anything of note besides my LP Customs and a PRS Singlecut. I had a few Ibanez axes when I first started playing guitar. But quickly moved on from those. Lately I've wanted to try something different. Something totally opposite from my LPs. But I still wanted it to fit my style. So I started looking around.

Never heard of Mayones before last week. Someone here recommended them in my other thread. When I saw this thing, I knew. Instantly. That's the one! So being the moron I am, I didn't buy one... I bought two! :fawk::shred:

And you'll see why tomorrow when the second one arrives.

But first, here is my new (used) Mayones Duvell Elite. I took a gamble because I just never heard a lot about these. They are more popular in Europe I guess? But it arrived today and YES... it's AMAZING.I was putting it through the paces for a bit when one of my housemates came home. She doesn't listen to metal or hard rock or anything like that. Typical dance/pop ..... But when she walked in she said, "Holy ..... That is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. And I don't usually like the music you play... but that sounds ....ing awesome. It's way richer sounding than your other guitars."

And she's right. This guitar is light and thin. There's nothing to it. But it sounds lightyears better than my Les Pauls. It's thicker. It's meatier. It's richer. It's got more character. The Les Pauls are a little more... stout and authoritative. But the Duvell is way more pleasant. And I'm digging the longer scale-length (25.4"). Everything plays tighter. There are a couple small blemishes here and there, but nothing to write home about. It sounds great, but I'll have to rethink how I EQ my amps, it needs a setup, and I might swap out the pickups (Distortion/Jazz I think?) for a JB in the bridge or BKP or maybe a Suhr Aldrich. The Distortion isn't my favorite pickup.

But guys, I am so excited about these guitars. It's like they were made for me. The neck feels perfect. The body fits me, the frets are the perfect size, and the thing looks evil as sin. Ok enough talk, here's some shots. The second one arrives tomorrow... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scoop the Mids and Chug

Congrats man! She's hawt

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

drop dead gorgeous.
    congrats!

4. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

Congrats! That looks mean!

5. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

Very nice looking axe! Mayones are awesome guitars to have in the stable. Can't wait to see the next one...

6. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

congrats! you bought two ? lol wows.

i hope i like my aristides as much as you like your mayo ;)

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That burl is nuts!

8. FourT6and2

Thanks, guys!

Yeah... I got two lol. This one is what I was originally going for. But I came across the other one and they are different enough to make at least SOME sense in having both. Sort of. You'll see.

9. Possessed

Possessed SS.org Regular

Congrats! Duvell is one hell of a metal axe. And she can do clean pretty well. After seeing these Duvell NGD threads, i really need to rethink my decision about selling Duvell.

10. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

F*** amazing... HNGD!
    [​IMG]

11. Konstantine

Konstantine SS.org Regular

oh. god. The bookmatching on that top, heavenly. I must have stared at that pic for 10 minutes straight. When I get out of uni and get my finances straight, a duvell elite is definitely joining the stable.

12. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Hottie.

Don't stop here, do your self a favor and try some Regiuses.
    I myself prefer them much more over Duvells.
    Classier feel, comfier, fuller and deeper sounding and a higher build quality in general - yeah, I know what you're thinking but you'll notice all of that right away, after you put one against the other. Owned 20+ Regiuses, played dozens more, owned a couple of Duvells.

13. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Hottest burl top ever!

14. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Duvells are great. I had a chance to play a Duvell 7 and was blown away. Those new Duncans are surprisingly good.

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

You got this off of Johnny right? That thing is fantastic, and trust me the Mayo addiction is hard to cope with. I ended up with quite a few more than I expected too after I got my first one :lol:

16. FourT6and2

Yep, got it from him. Seems like a good dude.

17. FourT6and2

Which Duncans are you talking about? The Nazgul/Sentient? Yeah I'm looking forward to trying the out in the other Duvell that's supposed to be here today.

18. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

That's gorgeous! I've got an ibanez sz4020fm with a distortion/jazz set that I'm considering swapping out for a nazgul or Pegasus and sentient set, or going safe with a crunch lab and liquifier set.

19. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Hubba Hubba!!!

20. FourT6and2

Ok, the second one just arrived. I have to get to work soon, so I can't play it right now. But... the actual build quality is noticeably better, if that's even possible. :D This one's from the Mayones Custom Shop...

[​IMG]