Double locking tremolo systems and reliability over time

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by jimwratt, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

Nothing but truth and wisdom in these parts - SS.org, I am proud. For a wild card suggestion, there's the Sophia 2:92 trem, though I've never encountered one personally.

Adieu likes this.
  2. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Maybe you could get extremely lucky like me (and foolishly not buy a lottery ticket) and end up winning a ESP USA M-II w/OFR on ebay for $300... and actually receive it.

Adieu likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Those Sophia trem's really got my eye. Even just the block. I'm trying to confirm at this point and witing for an answer if it will retro-fit to the Lo Pro edge or not, because the webstire says for OFR bridges and Edge, but nothing about a Lo Pro or Floyd Rose Pro, but then in the FAQ's section there's customers saying they replaced thier LoPro Ibanez with a 2:92 trem. So that's promising. I like the idea of the block to give all the functionality of the global tuner (which I miss from my old Parker Fly Deluxe playing day's), the trem stop function, and stabilization especially. I think just adding that block would be a nice upgrade.

Adieu likes this.
  4. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

They don't perceive enough demand. Same reason they don't have a 7 string 1996t. They make so much shit that floyd trems probably aren't that big of their market.

Do your part and send Gotoh a few e-mails, every few months. Eventually Japan will give in! :lol:

5. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

I agree, the block being able to adjust as it does looks absolutely wonderful, though the whole assembly seems to be quality built, it's a shame there's so little real-world examples to fully check it out.

c7spheres likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I emailed them about it and asked if it will fit a LoPro explaining I was confused by the LoPro not being mentioned in product description yet a customer in the FAQ's section saying it worked fine with his LoPro. I did get a pretty fast reply but it was a little confusing. I emailed back to try to confirm.
    Regarding the bridge I got this reply: "The Sophia 2:92 Seven is meant to be a drop-in fit for the OFR® 7 string model — we are using approx 3.342” with one variable knife edge — you should be fine, see the upgraded a Schecter"
    I couldn't find the Schecter he's talking about anywhere and it's a bit odd seeing a LoPRo is for Ibanez. He also said that the Schecter did need some mod's to the inner route to get it in, but the recess didn't because it's for OFR routing.
    Regarding the block only he said it's dropping in the 6 string Ibanez's usually with 32 or 34mm lengths, which I don't know which the 7 string LoPRo block is unless I take it apart. He said the block follows "big Block" standards and is 2"x0.5" at the base plate. He said they always fit in either the Pro or vintage OFR route. No info regarding the Ibby.
    So it appears that one of either 32 or 34mm blocks will fit the bridge itself and it's hit or miss if the rear route of the guitar will llowit to fit in the guitar or not. So basically, I'm not getting one unless I can return it for a full refund. Still gotta measure if it's a 32 or 34mm too.

7. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I might be the only one, but I preferred the ZR tremolo over the Edge and LoPro Edge...

c7spheres likes this.
  8. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

ahahah, been there too. They are very persuasive in their 'no'.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- More Info regarding the Sophia Global Tuner Pro for anyone interested.
    - So I did some rough measurements. I took out my rg-7620 LoPro7, took off the saddles and measured from the center of the outer 2 block attchments screws. It appears to be 32mm. It's definitely not 34mm but more like 32.25mm to be exact from what I can tell. So that's out of the way and the 32mm should fit the LoPRoEdge7, it would seem.
    - One issue I realized on the rg-7620 at least (and I'm assuming other RG body's like it) is that if you level the bridge out as normal using the side knife edge line on the bridge, then add the total 1/2" width for the enitre Sophia GTP block base as I was told the block mesasures at, then you would basically be right near or up against the inside of the body route (like the body just below the springs part on the spring side of the block in the cavity).
    - This means you would either have almost no pull up movement or be totally blocked off. Maybe even tilted forward a little. So routing would be required it looks like to me. Kind of a bummer but not totally out of the question to make it work.
    - The block diagrams on the website also made me realize it's even a bit bigger than that when you include the bottom extendable part, the felt bumper dampener, and the stablizers. So you'd end up routing off about a 1/4" or more from the under cavity depending on how much pull up range you want on the trem.
    - The same issue would come up if using the Global Tuner non pro version because it's basically the same thing without the stabalizers.
    - The Stop Block model however is a little smaller having only the Stop block in it, and would give more pull up ability and probably not require any routing, but it would still limit a little bit of the pull up ability compared to the stock Edge block that the LoPro comes with. The Stop block is brass though and $45 instead of $96 and $165, respectively. It appears it is possible, but it depends whether you'd want to cut your guitar or have no pull up ability it would seem.
    - I personally only palm the trem and do small vibratos if anything with it. I like the global tuner option and the stop block option and the stabilizers too. They'd be nice to have there, but the reality is the more I think about it I set my guitars up really well and they don't really go out of tune much at all. So the global tuner isn't much of an issue (not a $165 issue anyways) and the stablizer isn't a huge issue as well. My trem returns to zero just fine.
    - The stop block is appealing because of the brass upgrade, like a big block and the convenience of a trem stopper while changing strings or even normal playing so resting your hand on the bridge won't have a chance of sharping notes, which I've never taken notice as an issue before, so why is it now? For the price though I could save $5 and get what looks like an approx. 15% larger full sized FuTone block and tap and die my own stopper into it as well. That would also still llimit the trem range without routing however.
    - For some reason though, I still want the Pro version block and to do a little routing, just for the over kill improved stability, global tuner convenience and stop block ability. No it's not necessary, but it is still pretty nice looking, but I ain't getting it until I really have an extra $165 to just not care about. I'm more inclined for that money to just hoard more tubes.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Proofpics?

11. NoodleFace

I have a pic of the ESP, but I lost my ebay account some years ago just due to not using it and forgetting the login.

Picture003.jpg

Adieu likes this.
  12. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Noooooooo

a MAPLE m-ii????

Oh well at least it doesn't have the bottle opener headstock. If it did, I might just have had to axe murder you in a fit of jealousy

PS wth was it so cheap???

13. NoodleFace

I asked the dude. He put the auction up with no reserve and NO ONE bid on it except me. For some reason, rather than take a rating hit he just sold it for what I won it for.

When I lay awake at night going over my life and my bad choices, believe me getting rid of that one is at the top. It sucked because I used it to fund schooling, so I GUESS that sorta worked out. But man that guitar played great.