DotA 2 Thread!

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Kurkkuviipale, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Valve announced a tournament on DotA 2 that will be also be the first gameplay ever showed of the game. The tournament contains 16 of the best DotA teams that will race themselves to the biggest pricepool ever given in the history of gaming - the winner of the finale gets 1 million US dollars. You got that right. One. Million. US. Dollars.

The International - Dota 2 Championships

Thoughts?

Kr1zalid and daemon barbeque like this.
  2. daemon barbeque

daemon barbeque Banned

I like the idea!
    WCIII lives LOL
    I love the game. will be fun to watch it!

3. dacimvrl

dacimvrl ss.org irRegular

Koreans should play some dota lol

4. Kurkkuviipale

DotA 2 will be a standalone game so... WCIII won't live for long. I don't mind though, Blizzard has enough money anyway.

I'm surpriced no Koreans are attending the tournament. There are 5 chinese teams though. :lol:

5. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

I think its stupid how Valve has trademarked the DOTA name. especially when it came about from the gaming/modding community, whereby no singular company can claim ownership of it. that said, I remember wasting away many hours playing dota in WCIII so its nice to see that the idea has longevity.

6. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I used to play against some of the guys from GGnet... it was ridiculous how well they micromanaged in that game.

7. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I love WC3, still regularly play it, but I blow at DotA, more of a TD guy.

8. lurgar

lurgar SS.org Regular

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I've been with LoL for a year now and couldn't stand HoN (for the community) so i will be watching this closely.

9. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

I think I might be representative for the HoN-community on this board. XD

Anyway, HoN will most unlikely not survive the release of DotA 2, WHICH IS FINE! S2 released nearly all of their original heroes, and is now trying to squeeze every last penny out of the franchise before releasing the binaries for player-side servers.
    LoL will, on the other hand, also suffer a major blow. Most of those I know that plays LoL came from DotA, and either didn't want to invest in HoN or quit after some time in protest of the direction HoN took, and is simply now waiting.

If Valve can implement all the things they've promised, in a better quality than HoN, then they will overrule the entire market. LoL is not quality when it comes to the engine and gameplay mechanics, while HoN was trying to shift the DotA meta too hard while being over-pretentious from release and onwards, which is sad.

DotA 2 will, if I understand correctly, be a mix between how detailed, hardcore and well-produced HoN was, with a slower pacing, more diverse hero-pool and professionalism from LoL. If that is true, where the hell do I pre-order?!

10. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

The only reason LoL survived so long in the first place til now is because it was 100% free. HoN is a significantly better game (i never played either alot, only got to like 1800 on HoN) but I even was a bigger fan of HoN than DOTA.

Its unfortunate that HoN will most likely die out solely due to the fact that "its not dota"... but I have my doubts that Dota 2 will actually live up to the hype. I guess we'll see when that comes.

I'll be interested to see if dota 2 will also be free like LoL/HoN is now, or if they will try to milk money out..

And the whole million dollar tournament thing is a load of bullshit, purely for publicity.. when an actual competitive game like SC2 only puts out tournaments in the range of $100,000... how can a game that no one outside valve has played be worth $1M and have worthwhile games? Its gona be a newb fest, with one team walking away with 1M? way to make a joke out of eSports.. It would be like if they held bum fights with UFC prize pool money, and we all saw how well Kimbo did against real competition.

11. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

It is most likely to be the success it is hyped up to be.
    Valve hired Icefrog and possibly spent a far higher production budget than Riot and S2 spent collectively, plus they most likely hired the top DotA scene to work secretly on the design of the game to make it as DotA as possible.
    The million dollar contest is indeed a marketing stunt, that's obvious. But considering how hyped Dota 2 was even before it was announced, Valve just wants as much commercial exposure as possible, before releasing it, like they did with Portal 2 and the potato sack/cameo stunt, though this is albeit a bit more extreme.

Screenshots have been leaked posing Nevermore and Balanar, and yes, it is VERY high quality graphics.
    [​IMG]
    The scenery and overall style got some BLC going on, with dashes of HoN and LoL color-scemes. I personally find it very pleasing, it's a happy medium between HoN and LoL.

And the tournament is in 3 days; let's see if it can keep the hype-standards up!

12. Kurkkuviipale

Official DotA 2 trailer:

My room is full of buckets and you can definitely tell what they're full of.

13. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

^Beer for me?

All seriousness, I am pleased.

14. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Watched one game so far, looking pretty eh to be honest.. HoN graphics blow it out of the water (for 2 years older, thats not good).. Just looks like LoL basically. Big battles just blend in too much, cant see whats going on properly. Overly dark (this is a dota game, not D3) and the lag is pretty ridiculous.. No LAN?

Hype doesnt look like it'll live up to the name unless they do some major reworking before release

15. Duelbart

Duelbart SS.org Regular

Fuck yes, the tournament is up. Anyone watching? :D

So far the game looks decent. Style is a bit cartoony for my taste, but it's no LoL. I don't like the UI much though, it could be improved significantly.

Other then that, hyped to see how the games turn out! Go MYM :)

16. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

I STILL love the style, it just looks too good! Graphics are indeed better than what HoN has, and the aesthetics are much better.

Battles are nowhere near overtuned graphical. It's as overwhelming as HoN, just a matter of getting used to it.

I'm waiting for my beta key.

17. Duelbart

Duelbart SS.org Regular

I just hope those lags and crashes on LAN are just a mere accident, so to speak :)

18. Kr1zalid

Kr1zalid Archrocker

I just wanna drop my opinions here...

Just watched the match between EHOME and Ty.loo. Though the lag is ridiculous to me, although I watched it in SD, maybe my line is slow, but the whole graphics, interface, how they show the items, the score, the skills seemed good to me, I can't wait to try the beta!! Hope that the game plays like the original Dota in WCIII. :agreed:

For the pre-order part, Steam will release a beta version of the game soon. You may try to take part in the beta through the Dota2 website.

Watching the match between SGC and Virus now...

And I heard: STORM SPIRIT HAS ARRIVED!!!!!!! :lol:

19. Duelbart

Duelbart SS.org Regular

I don't know why, but the more I watch it, the more I like the graphics.

Also, sooo looking forward to Na'vi vs M5. Too bad I won't be able to see it live probably :(

I wonder how Valve is gonna go about choosing people for the beta, as I doubt they're just gonna do first come first serve. Anyone has any experience with their games and how they handle betas?

20. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

BIG NEWS INCOMING WITH A SCUD MISSILE

Dota 2 won?t make 2011 release

My bucket overflowed. Along with the reserve bucket.