Doom OST (heavies and 9 strings)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by kamello, May 17, 2016.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I think its time to finally pick up a new console since I'm dying to play this game and see how the soundtrack works with it.

Unsurprisingly that was one of the main complaints about DOOM back in the day, that is was far too violent and gory. I can definitely hear similarities to the Fury Road soundtrack since Junkie XL was in an industrial metal band.

2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Quake 1 did have the advantage that the final boss stage has no music, but does have John Romero's voice, garbled and played backwards, saying "To win the game, you must kill me, John Romero!".

And to be honest, this is something of a pointless discussion - Doom was released in the tail end of 1993. The videogame industry as we know it barely existed, especially in the western hemisphere. Wikipedia's list of First Person Shooters for the entirety of the following year is only 25 games, many of which were released on platforms like the 32X that saw no commercial success.

If you're ALSO going to limit the field to shooters that had a "metal"-ish soundtrack, there are literally no games that exist in that mold until Doom 2, 9 months later. The only possible exception is a 32X game called Metal Head which, frankly, has a pretty sick soundtrack but is also as far from Doom as it's possible to get in these confines.

It also largely solidified the existence of the Genre - and it was a genre where music was, frankly, not important. Look at gameplay footage of Operation Bodycount. All the sound design in that game is horrible screams.

3. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

The complaints about DOOM back in the day were pretty much the same as the ones made about metal - that they inspire violence, satanism, suicide, etc. Remember the whole Columbine thing? Marilyn Manson and DOOM were scapegoats number 1 and 2. :lol:

I like to think people have become a little less sensitive to stuff like over the top video game violence and heavy music in the past 20 years, but I think it's really just that the media found new scapegoats to blame society's problem on.

4. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

not to kick this OT (further), but didn't Trent Reznor do the Quake soundtracks, thus the 'inside' jokes with the NIN Nailguns and ammo?

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's mostly more ambient than anything NIN had done to that point though. Lots of eerie loops, no "regular" vocals, very few guitars, etc. I like a couple of the tracks. In addition to the music, I think he did the sound design. I think he had something to do with Doom 3 as well.

6. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

Fixed that for ya

Back on topic though
    When I heard the main theme after about 5 or so minutes into watching some gameplay, I got a bit worried. Then again, I'm one of those guys who doesn't like the same dry, lifeless guitar tone that seems to be popular with some of these djent kiddies. And just to add dubstep quality electronics in there, no thanks

7. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Haaaaaaaaang on a second, lets not gloss over this one.

The Columbine association wasn't like Cho Seung Hui and Virginia Tech - Cho was accused of being conditioned by violent videogames, specifically Counterstrike, only for investigators to discover he didn't even own the games in question.

Most of what I'm about to say is pulled from here (And yes, some of their source links are dead, but this info is reliable): http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold didn't fit the same mold. The association was made because Eric Harris made custom levels for the game using an editor - Levels that featured, among other things, significantly increased blood and gore by means of custom death animations, and multiple violent messages and text files appended to the WAD files themselves.

Dylan Klebold is credited as a playtester in at least one of these, and what we know of Eric Harris writings and documents indicates that he claimed to have made a WAD at some point that was a mockup of the layout of the school - That particular WAD has never been found, but most of the other WADs he made are freely available online, including the one with the customised, extra-gore death animations, and messages such as "KILL EM AAAAAAAAALLLLL!" and "You may NOT change a damn thing with this WAD, if you do, i will blow you up" appended to the text portions of the WAD files.

Along with the several known wad files Harris made, there is also a list of other WADs that have never been found online, mentioned in the text portions of some of the WADS, with these names -

• techout
    • outdoors
    • assault
    • thrasher
    • realdeth
    • realdoom (which is consistently mentioned in the text files for all of the Harris levels; Harris encourages the reader to email him to ask about it)
    • tier (described as his life's work)

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that "realdoom.wad" is the most likely candidate for being his CHS mockup, if he did indeed make one.

As much as gaming is not the source of all evil like Jack Thompson used to scream blue thunder about (before being disbarred for being a crank attorney...), there was at least a little fire under this particular plume of smoke.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did what they did because they were very sick people. The fact they were exposed to Doom did not make them that way, but they did have a significant connection with the game and it featured prominently enough in at least Eric Harris's life that he wrote about it extensively in some of the documents that were later released or leaked to the public, and mentioned it in videos prior to the shooting.

Worth mentioning by the way that last time I read anything about videogame violence studies, the general consensus was that normal people are absolutely unaffected by violent media, but that people who already have violent or aggressive tendencies find those tendencies heightened after exposure to the same material - we can certainly say that Harris and Klebold exhibited violent and aggressive tendencies, so to what extent violent games, films, media and other such stimuli may have exacerbated their underlying mental issues seems a topic for open debate.

However, literally none of that places any blame whatsoever at the feet of Doom.

8. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Replacing the word "treasure" in that quote with "Gibson" both leaves me with "meh" and leaves your opinion questionable. :D

9. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Great soundtrack. Also, Doom's singleplayer campaign is very satisfying.

10. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Heavily OT at this point, but this is the single best description of Revocation's style hands down (also totally applicable to Sylosis) I've seen hands down:lol:

Super subjective anyway.
    Go to TGP and all kinds of people think Led Zeppelin II and Van Halen's first record is pretty fresh sounding :nuts::lol:
    I think pretty much most music will always simply just sound of its time (excluding stuff that seeks to be deliberately retro like all manner of classic rawk rip offs) and I don't see that as a bad thing. Ultimately if people are still loving the game one or even 2 decades from now, then that is the true mark of whether it's stood the test of time due to the emotional associations and bonds formed with the game many players will no doubt have

11. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

You guys have too much time on your hands, the soundtrack works great for the game. We should just leave it at that.

12. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Considering I loved the Fear Factory remixes and songs that got used in many a 00's video game, this is right up my street.

"Rip and Tear" sounds less like typical 9 string djent, and more like an early Slipknot/FF remix.

13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Haha, right? I never would have guessed the direction this thread took.
    All I saw was a few awesome tracks for an awesome game and just expected to see people talking about how awesome it was.

14. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

I for one am glad that there's some GOOD metal in a game. Gives me hope for future game releases.

15. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Well, it reflects very well what DOOM 4 is : a great modern FPS ... which has nothing to do with DOOM as it misses all its basics.

16. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Fredrik Thordendal did a song for the Wolfenstein OST too, but that was more industrial-esque. :hbang:

17. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I'd wait on the console till after E3. Apparently microsoft and Sony are announcing new consoles currently in the works. Might be worth the wait if they will be released in a year or so.

18. Entropy Prevails

Entropy Prevails SS.org Regular

I´m in love with this soundtrack! Does anyone know about bands with similar style? I know its influenced by meshuggah, fear factory and nin. But I can´t seem to find any good industrial metal in the same vein.

19. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It sounds basically like Fear Factory minus their lousy vocals and with higher production values. I dunno if you're going to find anything more similar in "industrial metal" categories, this strikes me more as BIG SWINGIN' DICK METAL than industrial. It's intentionally designed to appeal to as wide of an audience of people that enjoy blasting monsters gorily as possible. It sounds pretty awesome, and achieves its purpose spectacularly.

20. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

Mick is fantastic.

You guys should listen to the Killer Instinct soundtrack from Xbox One.

It has a lot of 8 string work and while it has a lot of metal it's more ecletic than the doom OST. It's also frigging awesome. He even flirst with dance music on that one and he does it brilliantly. Fulgore's theme is pure Fear Factory on steroids.

I even did a cover of Chief Thunder's theme on YouTube and Mick Himself gave me a thumbs up. Cool guy and great musician!