Doom OST (heavies and 9 strings)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by kamello, May 17, 2016.

1. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

See, I'd have done that if I could, but right now, I can't, because this computer has no speakers. I would have thought this could be easily inferred. It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with not being able to for at least another 8 hours.

Now as I said a couple posts ago: "If it's all entirely new compositions and material with the same style, then you can stop being so defensive and bitchy and just bloody say so."

2. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

That's what makes it funny, though.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Then stop trying to discuss about music you haven't even listened to yet and wait until you get home then. Music has to be heard, not told to you.

4. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Fat tracks yo!

I probably wont play it until its in the bargain bin but hearing these tracks when blowing .... up must be pretty nice :)

5. GuitarBizarre

Wriggle wriggle.

Someone already told me what you're trying to avoid. Which is funny, because what they said would have assuaged my criticism a whole lot more than you being obtuse.

6. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Very awesome. Fits Doom perfectly. Someone else suggested doom metal. That style doesn't fit Doom. Doom had always had a frantic "please let me survive" feel to it. Doom metal just doesn't capture that.

Wishing I had something I could play it on now.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I only ignored your questions since you tried to derail the thread firstly by attacking Bobby Prince and you could easily of answered all your own questions by listening to the videos/clips posted above but it took you 5 posts before you even said you didn't have speakers which you should have mentioned first thing. So if you're so insistent.

Yes its entirely new compositions except for a new version E1M1 which he plays on a 9 string. Check out the "behind the music" video in the first post. He also nods to a few other tracks here and there(E2M7 and a few others I need to brush up on)

To me its the ways the songs are composed. The intervals in melodies have that DOOM sound, the multi-layered guitar/synth melodies, looping back with the subtle variations and synths the second time, he nails the claustrophobic eerie(E1M8), the intensity(think E3M8), groovy(E1m9,E1M4), I need to brush up on a few others I can't remember what map they're from.

Like I said its modernised. Instead of thrashy/heavy metal guitar riffs we've got disgustingly low-tuned djent riffs. Its brutal, its heavy, it gets you worked up and as someone who transcribed everything from Ultimate Doom and most of DOOM II its undeniably DOOM IMO. I still need to play the game but judging the soundtrack alone its DOOM.

Its all described here better than I possibly can, watch this and decide for yourself. IMO he nailed it. Not an easy job by any means but its gone down so well with the majority of fans.

8. GuitarBizarre

"Yes its entirely new compositions except for a new version E1M1 which he plays on a 9 string."

OK, cool, I really don't see why this was so hard for you to come out and say.

E1M1 is one of the more blatant ripoffs on the original soundtrack, but it's also, obviously, the one that EVERYONE has heard because it's the first level - It's essentially C&C's Hell March, but for Doom, and I'm pretty much OK with it being a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff, because it's been grandfathered in due to familiarity. Not having it would have hurt the game's appeal to the hardcore/nostalgic audience - the rest of the soundtrack, not so much.

If the rest of the material is original or majority original, and they've really made the effort to separate it from Bobby's musical larceny, then cool.

When you said the soundtrack was so heavily inspired by though, that set alarm bells ringing - not just because of what the statement itself means, but also because this is a Bethesda game - it's far removed from the iD studios of the 90s with Romero involved.

Bethesda's MO with games has historically been to absolutely .... on their audience - it's why the Elder Scrolls games have always had horrible engines, been riddled with bugs, and been released half finished, with the expectation that the mod community will finish the game for them.

That goes right the way back to their startup days - Elder Scrolls Arena has a spell that lets you, in some cases, enter doors from the opposite side. If you do that you'll be stuck in a glitched level and have to start the game again. Daggerfall assigns players quests that are impossible to complete. Morrowind was a little better but is still glitched out the backside, as is Oblivion, as is Fallout 3, regardless of the number of unofficial patches fans make for those games. Skyrim (STILL!) has a bug that allows the game to become impossible to complete - you can be fighting Alduin on the top of a mountain during a flashback scene, and a bug will result in Alduin circling the mountain forever and never landing, unless you unload the save, modify it and try again with certain parameters set manually to avoid the glitch.

They're also very lawyer happy and quite like to threaten their critics. I absolutely would not put it past them to lay into Bobby's soundtrack with gusto in search of that "hardcore audience" support that affords their RPG offerings the liberty of being so spectacularly abusive of their core audience.

The fact it doesn't sound as if they've actually DONE that, is a positive sign.

Less positive is the fact their DLC season pass is 3/4ths the price of the full ....ing game - that is a ridiculous price to ask people to pay for extra content, especially given that so far that content doesn't seem to be terribly extensive - 3 packs coming, "Each new DLC pack will contain three new maps, a new weapon, a new playable demon, a new armor set, one new piece of equipment, and new hack modules and taunts. " - doesn't sound to me like 3/4ths the price of my game on top, is going to get me anywhere near 3/4ths MORE GAME, and I really hope the market nails them to a cross for being so arrogant about it.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That is a LOT of words typed for someone who hasn't even listened to the music or played the game, jeez. Why the heck would you assume a sequel made by different people over twenty years later (not to mention, with a different composer) would have the same plagiarism problem as the original??

Even if Bethesda hadn't proven their ability to produce a great soundtrack with skyrim, this strikes me as someone who just wanted to get on a soapbox about Bobby Prince, got called on it, and then wrote hundreds of words trying to cover that up. :p

Anyway, this game is probably bad but the soundtrack is cool. I'll buy it when it reaches the discount bins in a year!!

10. GuitarBizarre

Mate, my last comment had barely anything to do with Bobby Prince (In fact, where he was mentioned at all, it was a positive comment about them having seemed to move AWAY from his bull....). It was almost entirely about Bethesda's other problems, try reading instead of complaining about how many words someone else wrote.

11. wankerness

Sorry, I think I lost interest in reading all your posts closely around the point where you started mocking people for thinking you owned speakers in their responses to you :rolleyes:

I love the original soundtracks, plagiarism and all. It would never fly today, and rightfully so, but it has still remained the best of those kinds of soundtracks imo. Stuff like Quake 2 and Duke Nukem 3D just never was able to come close on the memorable/catchy front. Maybe entirely due to plagiarism, but video game soundtracks tend to be derivative anyway.

12. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

you need to chill out bro lol @guitarbizarre
    back on topic , love the soundtrack, bfg division is sick

13. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Its minor but...

You seem to have misunderstood the first part of that post where I deconstruct the music on the merit of the music itself. My critique was 'I can't express what its lacking, but I feel his music IS lacking something to make it as amazing as everyone else has said.'

Anyway like I said, at least you guys seem to be happy.

14. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I think the difference is that you have to view this music in the context of playing a video game, so that's why it may be more repetitive than say, a Keith Merrow tune or something like that. I think it fits the game perfect.

Funny side note, I was watching some chick on Twitch play the new Doom and I heard this awesome metal music pumping out and I just figured she was listening to it in the background in her room, hahahaha!

15. GuitarBizarre

If you're looking at Quake 2 and Duke as soundtracks of the same era I think you're looking at two different eras of gaming. Duke shares more visual similarity but its fundamentally different conceptually, and Doom's soundtrack would never have worked with it. Quake 2 was 4 years later and released with fully recorded audio, rather than Doom which relied on things like soundblaster and sounded different depending on your GM hardware. I think that placed more recording constraints on the composition compared to GM where you could avoid worrying about mixing quite so much - in fact, even as late as PSX games like FF9, Nobuo Eumatsu was aiding Squaresoft in packing tons of content onto one disc, by composing using what were essentially soundfonts, and that's why those soundtracks have such a distinctive compositional style and production quality - many of Nobuo's later works are much MORE derivative sounding because that unique quality has given way to a more traditional orchestral pallette and set of sonic textures.

Lets not pretend that early game composition was without merit based solely on Id's output either - this is from 1992 and is fantastic, despite relying on even simpler audio technology - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDw-0PFB1Lg

There's much more to this than you're making out here.

16. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

The tunes are definitely more background music than doom 1 and 2. The songs from the old games, partly because they were "actual" songs, felt more like listening to "proper" music. I think the new soundtrack did a good job of setting the mood during gameplay, but might not be as suitable for active listening.

I'm interested in buying it if it gets released. There are a lot of interesting takes on the old songs. Way less of a direct rip off of other people's songs. Which is all the more amusing as they're reimaginations of someone else's songs which were ripped off of other artists.

17. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

Digging that stuff!!!
    :hbang:

18. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

The new DOOM is off the wall bonkers, and the music fits perfectly to it. I started playing yesterday on Ultra difficulty and everything was amazing fun until I met the first Hell Knight.

I dread to find out how this game plays on Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare. But yeah, the music kicks the monkey's butt :hbang:

19. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

Can't really get into the game myself (a bit too much ''violence for the sake of violence'' imo, but I do get the appeal), the music though, amazingly well done!
    To me it feels a bit like a heavier, more industrial/metal Mad Max Fury Road soundtrack :D

20. wankerness

I disregarded all Japanese soundtracks in my post, considering the high quality of those Konami and Square soundtracks it's a bit unfair to compare the US ones to them as there's no comparison :p When it comes to heavy metal US soundtracks (all I was trying to categorize it as), doom is about the best around! The "soundfont" version of Descent (it's CD audio on the Mac version, I think all the PC versions are just midi) sounds really damn good for the time period and is probably my favorite original american shooter soundtrack, but barely still qualifiable as "metal." I don't think there are very many of these metal soundtracks that are any good at all, and yeah, Duke Nukem is the next generation and by Quake 2 they could just use recorded music instead of midi or soundfonts, but I can't think of many notable examples in the genre since so many are so bad. Quake 1's also isn't part of the same genre IMO since it's mostly creepy electronics that's designed more as ambience, and that's mostly what videogame music has become since then when it comes to shooters. Either that, or music that is so devoid of personality that they sub in busier music whenever enemies show up. :p