Doom OST (heavies and 9 strings)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by kamello, May 17, 2016.

1. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

didn't saw any thread apart from a brief mention in the videogames subforum, but holy shit this thing is heavy. Couldn't care less about the game but I might try to play it just for the soundtrack :lol:

2. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Saw this a couple of days back. That's some damn well produced 9 string tone!

3. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Now that is cool!

Thanks for sharing! :hbang:

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I'm so glad Bethesda got not only a very talented composer to write the soundtrack but someone who has great respect and understanding of the original midi soundtrack while expanding on it in a modern way. Also maybe the best use of an extended range guitar I've heard. Mick Gordon absolutely knocked it out of the park on this one.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I saw someone say Ermin Hamidovic mixed/mastered it. He's the guy who wrote "The Systematic Mixing Guide".

I hope Bethesda get the soundtrack out ASAP for digital download.

5. Grindpa

Grindpa SS.org Regular

Wow! Was not expecting that to be as awesome as it was!

6. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I was hoping for more. What exactly I'm not sure, but this fills me with meh.

Before anyone gets upset at me for being the guy with the contrary opinion there ARE a lot of reasons why this is decent and would work well as a Video Game sound track, and the guy who worked on it clearly tried to do something familiar yet 'modern*'.

But it basically sounds like someone jamming syncopated riffs over the Resident Evil Movie soundtrack, which has been done by a lot of people on Youtube. Sure its someone doing a REALLY good job of that, but it leaves me with meh.

Thats not totally his fault, but it sure is in part. Playing a riff down doesn't automatically make it heavier and with Skrillex in the background… the jury is out on if it will age well.

That said, one mans trash IS another mans Gibson so if the people who are likely to buy it will enjoy it then job done :shrug: I personally would have like some Doom Metal but thats not everyones idea of modern :lol:

This term 'modern' or 'modern metal' is retarded because its not located within any context. Genre's are flexible terms but 'modern' isn't even referring to an actual time period, it arguably could just mean current and really using that as a genre term is silly because you have a band like Electric Wizard who are 'modern' or 'current' who sound anything but, vs a band like Revocation which sounds like thrash with a firmware update and a stint at music collage.

7. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

8. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Mick Gordon wrote the new soundtrack, not Bobby Prince who wrote Ultimate Doom, DOOM II and Final DOOM which was heavily "inspired" by Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Alice in Chains etc

10. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

You shouldn't, because none of it is related to Bobby Prince.

11. GuitarBizarre

Never said otherwise, but if you're going to bang on about how much the new composer respects and appreciates and expands upon the original soundtrack, it's probably pertinent to mention that said original soundtrack was mostly ripoffs or direct MIDI analogues of contemporary metal at the time.

I like the Doom soundtracks, and stuff directly inspired by it is some of my favourite tracks on OCRemix and so on, but most of those remixes have more original content than the actual soundtrack ever did.

If Mick has gotten away from that then cool, but your post makes it sound like there are direct ties to the previous (Mostly stolen) soundtracks and themes.

12. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I'm simply pointing out how aware of the potential bitching I could have caused by my first comment. And also hinting at the subtle theme in my post at the new composers lack of originality in the current context (i.e. it sounds like youtube covers) and now this lovely point by GuitarBizzare which highlights that once again people are getting precious about something that itself is a counterfeit (cue Bizkit circa 99).

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

So go start a new thread then if you're still annoyed about a 23 year old soundtrack and trying to derail the thread. This is about the new soundtrack and not about Bobby Prince.

14. GuitarBizarre

I mean, you could easily address my concern, instead of beating around the bush of my point - I have clearly not listened to the soundtrack in question.

How "inspired by" the previous soundtrack *IS* the new one? Are we talking broadest possible thematic inspiration and a broad "It was metal this is metal" kind of thing, or are we talking direct quotation of the source?

If it's direct quotation of the source with modern context and rearrangement, then that can still be a good thing, but it's definitely going to be relevant to that, that the original source was largely ripoffs.

If it's all entirely new compositions and material with the same style, then you can stop being so defensive and bitchy and just bloody say so.

15. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Regardless of how rip offey the og soundtrack was, it was an important part of the original doom. I think the new guy did a great job of modernizing the music, further helping to keep that doom feel.

I dig it a lot, and definitely appreciate that he let the original soundtrack inspire. It just makes doom feel more like doom.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Seriously?! You haven't even listened to the soundtrack(despite several examples posted above in the thread you're posting in) or watched the behind the music which would explain why my original post went completely over your head. I'm clearly talking to a brick wall here. Watch the behind the music video and you'll understand what I'm talking about when I say he has understanding and respect for the original soundtracks. This has nothing to do with Bobby Prince's plagiarism which was a key part of the soundtrack but not what made Doom DOOM. It's all in the video.

Back on topic, I've heard it's up to Bethesda to release the OST but they are supposed to be really slow at getting around to selling the music from their games.

17. GuitarBizarre

Still not actually answering my question, way to beat around the bush even further.

This is not hard to answer. The fact you won't only makes me think you can't answer in a way that benefits you so you're trying to twist.

Anyone else want to step up and answer this simple question?

18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Hah. Hahah. I see what you did.

OT: Heavy as balls.
    Just the way I like it.

19. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

How about you listen to the examples above like he said. Itd take all of ten seconds for you to find out on your own what the answer is.

Since you're too lazy, I'll just say that it is not that close to the original material. More fits the term "inspired by" than the original soundtrack anyway.

20. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

It wasn't a joke. See band camp link to the right.