Does stabbing yourself in the fingertips help develop calluses?

Uncle Remus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Obviously not with a sharp implement originally created to cleave heads, but maybe fingernails?

Been wondering this for a few days now...

Reason: I'm bored at work and this could make me feel like I am doing something semi-productive :lol:

Arminius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My bandmate told me that his former guitar teacher suggested burning his fingertips with a lighter :lol:

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I find playing guitar is a much more fun way to develop callouses. I'd only revert to stabbing myself as a last resort :lol:. If you really want to develop calluses and don't have your guitar around, i think calluses are generated by more of a rubbing motion than a stabbing motion :scratch:

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
play guitar and it well develop over a few weeks
anyother way is silly and painfully

Maestro

Reaction score
If you are bored and want to develop your fingers at work, try one of those grip master things. It will help you with strength and finger independence. Stabbing yourself seems a little extreme :)

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
The grip masters kinda help build the callus as well. They make them a little abrasive to facilitate that. If you've been playing a while, it's not gonna help with that. They're great for strength and dexterity though.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Do you think you need to go out of your way to get more calloused fingertips? They'll get as calloused as they need to be, depending on how you play.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Why don't you just play guitar alot? That seems like the most obvious answer.:scratch:

Uncle Remus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why don't you just play guitar alot? That seems like the most obvious answer.:scratch:

It was more of a scientific enquiry...

I was just wondering if the stabbing was the same effectively as rubbing your finger across a steel string

no need to state the bleedin' obvious :lol:

Ryan-ZenGtr-

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One tip: If you drain the dragon and wash your hands, make sure they're dry before you play otherwise the chunks of flesh will start to fly as soon as you touch the guitar... Same if your hands are sweaty ... Dry hands = Flesh strong ... Damp hands = ravaged to the bone.

Random, I know, but... True!

JunkMan

The Man Of Shred
Reaction score
before playing guitar, put a lil water on your finger tips, itll rust up your strings faster but will wear away the skin quicker to so you develop callauses quicker.

:EDIT: i read the guy aboves post and while this is true, it does deleop the calluses quicker, but as he said flesh will fly and itll be sore.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
One tip: If you drain the dragon and wash your hands, make sure they're dry before you play otherwise the chunks of flesh will start to fly as soon as you touch the guitar... Same if your hands are sweaty ... Dry hands = Flesh strong ... Damp hands = ravaged to the bone.

Dude, your last five posts have been about tearing your fingers up from playing. :lol:

JesseTheMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haha this probably would work.

I had a friend who would put his fingertips into pencil sharpeners to get them toughened up all around!

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Haha this probably would work.

I had a friend who would put his fingertips into pencil sharpeners to get them toughened up all around!
:squint:
Yes, those blades/sharpened rolling bits will toughen up those calluses on your FINGERNAILS!

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Calluses only help to a certain extent.. I still manage to make my fingers bleed sometimes (yeah, try playing crazy harmonic minor runs with loads of slides for 5 hours) :D

EDIT: I read somewhere that dipping your fingers in alcohol helps, though I'm not completely sure

cycloptopus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

What if I drain the dragon and don't wash my hands?