Does no one want seven strings anymore? :(

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Mind Riot, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

I'm getting depressed. I've got ads up here, on jemsite.com, on harmonycentral.com, and I just put my Ibanez RG7421 up on ebay. It's been there for four days and has one freaking bid on it. I've been promoting it like hell on every forum I'm on for weeks now.

It's an Ibanez RG7421 with real Dimarzios in it in great shape and I put a buy it now price on it of $330 plus shipping! Am I missing something here? That seems like a very reasonable price for this guitar, especially with the pickup upgrade. So why does no one seem to want it?

What am I doing wrong? I need to sell this thing. I had to borrow money to buy my new Schecter seven and I need to pay people back.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

2. GuitarGod1036

GuitarGod1036 Active Member

Truthfully, I might only pay that much for an RG7620. But a cheaper, non-LoPro for $300-$350? You really need to be realistic about it. Even in a market where good seven strings are scarce, this is much for a 3rd or 4th tier quality guitar.

3. Mind Riot

The RG7421 is the fixed bridge model, it's not a trem.

Two or three of the exact same guitar as mine with crappy stock pickups are listed on ebay for $400 to $450. So I thought putting mine up for $100 to $150 less with pickup upgrades was good selling practice.

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

ARe they getting bids though?
    Thing is, when you can get a RG 7620 or 7621 for around the same price, there's not a lot of incentive to go for 7421.. unless its a 7421XL. if thats the case, lets have a word ;p .

5. Drache713

Drache713 Contributor

I second the notion if it's a 7421xl, i'm sure i could find a use for a second one...;)

6. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I don't think he's too far off the mark. You have to consider the state of music and it's gear trends right now.
    Allthough, if you need cash fast you may have to just suck it up some.

My honest opnion----------the lack of a trem may be the reason. Most guys looking for a 7 string Ibanez are shredheads or math metal guys and would want a trem. It's one of the first things I look at-even before pickups. Pip's can be replaced, trems are harder to do..

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, $300 seems about right, and $330 would thus be an acceptable BIN price...

Seph's probably right, though.

Not that I really need a fixed bridge 7, but... what color? What pickups? Cased? :D

-D

8. Mind Riot

All black. Hardware, paint, pickups, everything. Dimarzio Blaze neck model in the bridge, Dimarzio PAF-7 in the neck. I put the Blaze neck model in the bridge on Dimarzio's recommendation, and it's a great bridge pickups. A bit lower output (280 mV) and tighter lows. It's tight, clear and muscular. There's a couple pics in my introduction thread a bit down the page.

I don't have a case for it, just a gig bag. It will ship in a nice Schecter double box that my 007 Blackjack came in (box within a box). $300 plus shipping would be fine.

Oh, and I love that Floater song in your sig, Colorblind. It's stunningly beautiful.

"While all our love grows distant, I keep on pissing on the lessons I so much need to know..."

9. Mind Riot

That's probably true. Damn my unusual tastes!! :mad:

10. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

it's actually funny, because i was first in the market for a fixed bridge guitar, and found myself one that "just happened" to be a 7string :)

keep up the fight bro, someone will pick it up eventually :)
    (hell, if i had the dough, i wouldn't mind having a backup! :p )

11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Dude, I'd totally buy it, but I just don't have the cash right now. Sorry! I think $330 is pretty damn fair, considering a new RG7321 with crappy pups, made in Korea goes for $350. Not to say the 7321 is junk, just that a MIJ 7421 w/ Dimarzios is a better guitar.

12. Mind Riot

Thanks for the support guys! Actually, reading the responses in the thread makes me remember that I haven't exactly had NO interest. I've had about ten people tell me that they would jump on it but they don't have the cash. :p :D

13. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

maybe if all ten of us pooled our poor asses together, we could all buy it, and share :p

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You've HEARD of Floater??!! *stunned*

Jesus... where are you from? I'm like the only person I know who doesn't live in Eugene or Seattle who's ever heard of these guys- possibly my favorite band (although there's a few others up there- Tool, Gordian Knot, OSI, Rolling Stones... ok, kinda a lot, but still). Huge fan here. Did you just check out that tune after seeing it in my signature, or do you actually own a copy of "Burning Sosobra?"

I feel as if I should buy your guitar just because you've heard of Floater. ;)

-D

15. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I've, uh, heard of them too ;p

16. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

i am seriously the only person in this state who listens/heard of gordian knot.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hmm. Glad word is starting to spread on these guys, they're amazing. :)

Have you just heard about them from me raving over at ERG.com and here, or did you hear about them elsewhere? And, more importantly, have you bought any of their albums yet? ;) Seriously, these guys could use the sales- it was only after the release of "Burning Sosobra" that they were able to quit their day jobs, and that was their 4th release sicne being signed.

-D

18. Mind Riot

Well, I was in a band for six years in which I played bass, and my drummer and I were very close friends the whole time, still are. He budgeted a certain amount out of his monthly income to buy CD's so he was always hearing new stuff. I didn't have the spare income he did, but he still introduced me to a LOT of great music. I dig Floater, but not all of it. Still, they have some brilliant work. I love Independence Day and The Beast. I don't have one of thier albums, my drummer moved away and he sent me a mix tape with a bunch of Floater on it.

Even though some of these aren't as obscure as Floater, my drummer is also responsible for introducing me to:

Corrosion Of Conformity
    Machinehead
    System Of A Down
    Our Lady Peace
    Dead Can Dance (you get a cookie if you've heard them)
    Stir
    Snot \m/ :mad: \m/
    Fear Factory
    Tool
    Incubus

Even though he had a FAR larger CD collection than me, I did introduce him to a few bands, like:

Finger Eleven
    Drain STH (my wife LOVES them, all girl metal band from Sweden or somewhere)
    Helmet
    Sevendust
    King's X

He's seen Floater about four times. He lives in Springfield, which is close to Eugene. I live in California, just below the Oregon border. BUT it should be noted that he discovered Floater and was a big fan WAY before he moved up to the Eugene area. He dug them from when he lived down here in the sticks by me.

19. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

i have heard of them :rolleyes: i will have a chocolate chip :D

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Jesus... seen them four times? Life is profoundly not fair. ;)

To really appreciate them, you need to grab a CD, though- virtually all of their albums (ok, one third- "Sink" and "Angels in the Flesh and Devils in the Bone") are concept albums, and most of them (most notably "Sink," but "Glyph" is pretty notable in this regard as well) fade from track to track a la Pink Floyd- "Seventeen" off Sink absolutely kills, but it is SO much more powerful when you hear the intro riff coming out of the veritable sea of noise that is "The Beginning," gradually fading in until the drums kick in at the beginning of "Seventeen..." and it doesn't feel complete until seventeen fades into "Snowblind."

Sink is one of those absolutely perfect albums, although "Burning Sosobra" might make a better first introduction, as it's a little more straight ahead- "Exiled" has the greatest guitar riff in the world, too, another nice perk. ;) (If you've heard that one... sounds like a clean guitar with delay, but every single note's picked- the buddy of mine who got me into them couldn't believe it the first time he saw them play live)

Cool. I love Floater, great to hear some other guys around here are at least sorta into them. ;)

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.