Does Greta Van Fleet bother you...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sharedEQ, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Insert old man yells at cloud joke.

But seriously, if a band that sounds like another band winning a Grammy is your yardstick for music culture losing all sense of integrity, then I dunno what to tell you. "The biz" has never been about "deep artistic integrity" it's been about moving a product. A band sounding like another band isn't a lack of integrity, it's just a group of people who liked that sound, said "I want to do that"... and then did. So what? I mean, is that not what all musicians do? You hear some sound, it moves you, you think "man, wouldn't it be great to do this"... and then you go do it?

If you really want "artistic integrity" there's mountains of underground music out there, and it's not that hard to find.

2. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I secretly suspect that people who mock these kinds of arguments as "get off my lawn" are the ones who are most deeply wounded by the unfairness of it all. They are just wearing a brave face and publicly presenting as such. Complaining shows weakness to this type of person. Attacking complainers strengthens their public "strongman" persona.

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This site needs a laugh react.

4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

We have one. :lol:

TedEH and GunpointMetal like this.
  5. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Not at all bothered by them. I don't really like them, but i like countless Sabbath clone bands, so it'd be a hypocritical of me to talk shit. Especially considering they're the only zep clone band I can think of off the top of my head.

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

If TedEH is accusing you of being an old man yelling at a cloud, you KNOW it's bad. :rofl:

The posts like "THE SINGER IS UGLY" or "THE GRAMMIES NOW LACK INTEGRITY" are painfullllllll

FILTHnFEAR and GunpointMetal like this.
  7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I not-secretly-at-all suspect that those who make that argument are themselves old enough to be yelling at clouds and long past caring about the "artistic integrity" of Grammy winners. :lol:

There's sooooooooooo much music out there that it's meaningless to dwell on the tiny subset of it that gets presented through the lens of "pop culture".

PunkBillCarson likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

:lol: Ninja'd.

PunkBillCarson likes this.
  9. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I kinda view this like the incident in china where the little girl was hit by a car and she lay unconscious and wounded in the street for 30 minutes before a passerby actually stopped to call an ambulance.

That one incident (and its not the only of its type) was illustrative of how Chinese live in an incredibly self centered way. The people did not want to be bothered or inconvenienced by any blow back from trying to help.

GVF winning grammy award is equally illustrative of where culture has gone. By itself it is unfortunate and insiginificant, but it shows a larger problem.

Being smarter is not same thing as yelling at clouds.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

What problem does this illustrate exactly? A band that some people don't like because it sounds like an old band is not a big cultural problem akin to letting someone bleed out in the street. There is literally no problem here. Lots of music that I don't like, or that you don't like, is liked by other people. It's not the end of the world.

11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Was this your first year watching the Grammys? "Artistic Integrity" has never been a concern for the recording industry. It's not like they were handing out awards to small indie acts every other year. Your comparison is such a wide reach, and yelling at clouds is exactly what this whole thread is. A bunch of people with no influence bitching about stuff that's out of their control. Talk about self-centered.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Oh my god. You know the most famous incident of that happening was in New York? Like, nationally publicized, huge news? But sure, those Chinese are all incredibly self-centered. DEFINITELY not racist.

And then you relate this to GVF!

And then you tell everyone you're smarter than them all!

*head explodes*

13. PunkBillCarson

I'm done with the Internet today. :lol:

Surveyor 777, AirForbes1 and TedEH like this.
  14. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 working on my mix Contributor

C). I actually somewhat like them. Yes, they sound exactly like Led Zeppelin. They were at a festival I attended last year randomly and I thought they were cool live. That singer kid has serious vocal chops. There cannot be many people out there who can sound EXACTLY like Robert Plant throughout their entire vocal range.

It's funny though, I never liked classic rock or really listened to Led Zeppelin. I think the main reason I've enjoyed them is because my dad likes them, and he was a big Zeppelin guy back in the day. So it's sort of a nostalgia thing. I started thinking to myself, what if some band comes around in like 50 years that sounds exactly like Lamb of God, and my son and his friends think the band sounds cheesy and stupid, but I think they are cool because I used to like Lamb of God....(deep thoughts)

Surveyor 777, lucasreis and TedEH like this.
  15. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

First of all: :lol:

Sure it's true that the djent scene is completely overrated these days let alone the bedroom scene since everyone with a cheapo interface and a smartphone can make guitar playthroughs of their shitty songs on Youtube. But there's always a chance that out of that crap pile someone will rise up with some original stuff. I mean, that's kinda what Bulb did back in the day, with the exception that only a handful of dudes recorded stuff at home. At least compared to this day.

16. PunkBillCarson

Bulb did that because at the time, there weren't a whole lot of people compared to today doing that kind of music, much less with the finesse and innovation he possesses.

17. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

E) Who?

Just kidding. I've never heard them, but I am familiar with the issue some people have with them.

18. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

Your post is kinda like the incident where a guy shot up a movie theater in Colorado.

The one incident was illustrative of how people with two hands can do absolutely terrible things. Their two hands allow them to grip objects and perform malicious acts with them.

Your post is equally illustrative of where culture has gone. By itself it is unfortunate and insignificant but it shows a larger problem.

Drawing a super-weak inference between a mediocre rock and an act of manslaughter in a authoritarian communist regime is not the same thing as making a valid point.

19. sezna

sezna undermotivated

man you gotta work on your sweeping generalizations. that's pretty racist and in no way is accurate to every Chinese person (or even most). Chinese culture is rife with hospitality and obligations to help everybody you encounter. Your random unsourced example is perhaps indicative of big city life at most.

Please don't reply to this and defend your point further, it'll devolve into a flame war. It is also irrelevant to GVF, I just can't see somebody say something like that and not respond.

on topic: GVF are doing their thing and people like it, why should we say they're wrong for doing it? It is the entertainment industry after all.

Razerjack and PunkBillCarson like this.
  20. PunkBillCarson

Though I disagree on our previous debate regarding GVF, I couldn't help but :lol: at this. Pretty fucking on point.