Does Greta Van Fleet bother you...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sharedEQ, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

At the end of the day, what's wrong with letting people play what they play and like what they like?

2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I mean, when everyone in that genre's chasing the exact same tone... :lol:

3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Nothing, that's why I said earlier, I hope everyone who picks up an instrument gets what they want out of it. But we're all musicians, so we're all critics, and its fun to talk about/take the piss out of stuff just for giggles and grins.

4. PunkBillCarson

Ask all the people here who hate on Ghost and GVF.

5. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I think the true value of the style was the shredders, guys like Loomis and Andy James. Thats what I'm in it for. Modern metal is the framework for the most talented instrumental players these days.

What if someone likes stealing? There are alot of people who would be completely happy if copyright laws did not apply. GVF is in a weird grey area only because its not possible to copyright vocal timber or body/hand movements. Basically, they have copied everything from Led Zeppelin that is not actually covered by copyright law.

One of the halmarks of art is artistic integrity. For instance the ability to look at the Mona Lisa and recognize that it is much more significant than "Dogs Playing Poker".

GVF has zero artistic integrity.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  6. GunpointMetal

I don't remember anyone referring to 90's groove metal as "Scoop metal". Besides that "tone" has been around for a long time, metal guitarists just finally realized scooping your mids and turning up louder wasn't a really great approach. Now if we could get the stoner/doom crowd to realize volume isn't the same thing as tone....

7. PunkBillCarson

I mean it could be that I care just enough to inaccurately shit on djent. :lol:

GunpointMetal likes this.
  8. GunpointMetal

*metal with modern production sounds

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Are you telling me that you think sounding like another band should literally be illegal...?

I actually never listened to this band, and I've never been a big fan of LZ. So just to see what we're all talking about I went and listened to a song or two....
    I like it more than I expected to. I'd probably prefer to listen to this than Zep.

10. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

It was in the Ghost thread that I asked somebody to produce a BOC song that sounded remotely like Ghost and not a single person did (because they don't), then somebody tried to tell me that GvF wasn't a Zep clone because nobody in the band except the singer sounded Zeppelin-esque. Good times :-D.

Either way GvF doesn't offend me but they probably would have (albeit only slightly) a decade ago. In my mind Led Zeppelin is hardly the sacred cow that everybody makes them out to be so my capacity for caring is fairly low, and since there are entire genres founded on ripping off retro music (synthwave/retrowave, stoner metal, etc) and nobody seems to care I think being mad at them is silly. Like, who really cares if a bunch of kids are playing musical dress-up? Led Zeppelin is 1/4 dead and the remaining members are filthy rich rock royalty; it's not as though they're losing their shirts over these guys.

11. PunkBillCarson

Whoever said that GVF don't sound like Led Zeppelin except for the singer were correct.

12. PunkBillCarson

Keep it up. I'll call it djshit.

13. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

Greta Van Fleet reminds me of these guys... Flymore. Or, the Russian Korn.

it's so blatant it borders on bizarre. And to think these guys opened for Korn in Russia once. Imagine that...

If they did this like 20 years from now, they would be hailed as innovators. But they chose an active band to copy... such a big mistake.

Ektomof is also another good example... the Hungarian Soulfly! lmao

sharedEQ likes this.
  14. GunpointMetal

Call it whatever you want, lol. Guitar tone =/= Genre

15. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

No, but court of public opinion (at least used to) know what was quality and what was recycled schlock.

My point is that culture has changed to a point where they either don't know or don't care about artistic integrity. Until yesterday's grammy win, I thought GVF was a joke band and I thought everyone else was in on the joke.

Apparently there are people who take them seriously. It was a big wtf moment for me.

Edit: On reflection, it may have been the pop music establishment's way to give the middle finger to a genre that would make it harder to sell pop. A nail in the coffin kind of gesture.

Rock music is *bad for business*. Teenage girls are the ones who buy music.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  16. PunkBillCarson

Fine... you win... That genre and the tone typically associated with it are BOTH shit. That better? :lol:

17. GunpointMetal

Nope, this is the internet, in order for you to have an opinion I disagree with you're going to have to provide your band as well as all of your records that have sold more than the bands you don't like. :deadhrse:

I really don't care, I just like beating this conversation into the dirt.

sharedEQ likes this.
  18. PunkBillCarson

[​IMG]

Nah, but seriously all that said, there is talent in that genre. Like I said, Tesseract and Sky Harbor along with a few others, it's just really not my cup of tea.

[​IMG]

GunpointMetal likes this.
  19. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

I refer you to my previous thought on the matter (which was also in response to you, as it turns out):

,i.e. their singer is a carbon copy and the rest of the band is "close enough" to warrant the comparison between the bands. We're moving goal posts a bit here.

20. PunkBillCarson

Yeah and I still hold on to my opinion. Nothing's changed since then. How's the family? :lol: