Does anyone still play a Line 6 Vetta?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It is harder, but not impossible. The Behringer Vamp was basically the POD 2.0 code, tweaked a bit. The HX Stomp does look pretty cool, and I could see considering one, one day.

Judging by how the Mooer Preamp Live unit EQ matches other preamps, I have a feeling they have 3-4 basic amp "models" for clean, light gain, heavy gain, etc... and then they EQ match the frequencies of different amps. I have 4 of them, and the Radar, and I feel like they have similarities in feel, but differences in EQ.... like the same thing as if you ran big EQ pedals before and after distortion, and you fine-tune tweaked them to match other sounds.

mnemonic likes this.
  2. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

The X3, like the Vetta, supported two amps at once. The XT was only a single amp path. That was the big upgrade for the X3, the models were the same between XT and X3. The X3 was basically a Vetta minus the power amp.

3. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

You can easily run Native into a power amp and cab from a laptop if you have one. I do this all the time. I tend to be a power amp + cab person a lot of the time. Just disable the cab sim on any preset you are using.

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

But then you wouldn't have to buy the processor and one of their $500 and up amplification solutions! I've seen a few L6 guys say that the cost of a Helix combo/head would be higher than combining it with a Powercab...we'll see.
    Those Vettas are awesome amps, though. I knew a couple of guys who were using them live to great effect until recently moving over to Helix.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's a form factor thing.

Guitarists understand what an amp head is. Even if they've never used a modeler in their lives, they know the big tolex'd thing with knobs on the front can be placed on top of a cab and made loud.

Even a powered Helix Rack would be welcomed.

Unfortunately, when folks see Line 6 products that look like amps, they typically cringe. The Spider and Spider Valve has pretty much poisoned amps for Line 6. It's a shame because the current Spider models aren't bad at all and the DT series was actually really cool. I feel that the Helix is popular enough to break the that trend.

I also think that the FRFR thing is on the downswing. More and more I'm seeing players go back to guitar cabs with power amps or even full amps.

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Even the Spider Valve wasn't terrible, they were just unreliable. And I agree on the FRFR thing. I personally love it, but the fact that even in 2018 I still have to get oddball looks from sound guys who are either trying to mic my monitor or can't seem to grasp that I just want an XLR to plug straight into the board, means I'm gonna be going back to a 2x12 cab/power amp rig so instead of arguing with the "sound guy" I can just crank up and he can stick a mic in front of it. It's really frustrating on my end to have to go back to that sort of rig (and spend more money), but the amount of times a 2x12 would have made everyone's live's easier is growing instead of shrinking. Same reason both of my bands are trying to go self-reliant on the FOH mix, too. With all of the information available for free today, there's no reason that anyone who considers themselves a live audio engineer should have an issue with any of these concepts.

7. MaxOfMetal

The Spider Valve was worse than bad, it was underwhelming. With how much hype Line 6 created for it, touting it's "Bogner origins", the fact it was an off the shelf Spider into a cold, lifeless power section was just a bummer. It wasn't a bad amp, but it definitely wasn't what it was supposed to be. The DT50 was what the Spider Valve should have been, but no one even wants to try those thanks to the Spider Valve.

Going FRFR is great on paper, but I think most guitarists want the "imperfect" sound that real cabs and tube power sections offer.

I still use FRFR with my Axe and KPA, but I can see why folks would want an amp/cab, especially for louder situations.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  8. Steo

Steo SS.org Regular

Quick question for Vetta ii Owners. Picked up the head version earlier on this year. Not used it much cos usual set up is Hx stomp, four cable method into Joyo Zombie, but, what's the reliability like with the units. Are they still going strong, or did I, long term, buy an expensive piece of space filler?

9. MaxOfMetal

There are some known ribbon cable and screen issues depending on manufacturing date, but they're pretty solid otherwise. I had mine for over ten years before I finally traded it off to a buddy. Worked great the whole time.

Steo likes this.
  10. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I picked up another Vetta II HD today. I got it for very cheap and it’s a great amp.

Awesome tones are a plenty, and it’s quick to dial in. It’s a beast of an amp, and a steal at sub $500.

11. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I haven't heard about a veta in a very long time. The first and only time I heard one was another band at a rehearsal space. They sounded so good that we knocked on their door like damn, what equipment are you guys using. Both guitarists had a veta. Never got to try one but that band had them sounding really good.

12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I might be wrong but I think Evanescence used one on their first or second album for awhile there.

13. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

What is the difference between the Vetta I and II? Which sounds better?

14. MaxOfMetal

The color of the faceplate and hardware.

Both run the same software, they just shipped with different firmware.

MASS DEFECT likes this.