Does anyone still play a Line 6 Vetta?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Dec 14, 2018.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I’ve been traveling down memory lane lately, and I’ve been thinking about picking up a used Pod XT or Pod X3 (X3 more likely so I don’t have to mess with model packs) for the sake of nostalgia, as I had an XT way back in the day when I was in college.

I still have an old toneport with the podfarm plugin but there’s just a bit too much latency for me to jam with it. Also it requires my computer attached to it.

It looks like the former flagship amp, the Vetta, seems to go for a song these days, so I’ve also been considering one of them. Has anyone compared the Vetta to the various Pods? I know there are some slight differences in the sounds of the various Pods, probably due to different AD/DA converters, and probably slightly different algorithms for the differing DSP’s, but from what I understand the differences are minimal. However with the Vetta, the whole workflow looks to be totally different from the Pods.

I’ve seen a couple posts online saying the Pods are better for direct recording but the Vetta sounds better into a cab than a Pod and power amp does. Any truth to that?

Also, how is the dual-tone on the Vetta? It seems to be the central feature of the Vetta, so I would guess it must be good... with the podfarm plugin I can do dual-tone, but it almost always results in weird phase issues and is mostly unusable.

Does the Pod X3, or Vetta have phase issues when using dual-tone?

Cheers guys

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The Vetta uses the XT amp models. It's basically a POD XT with two screens and a power amp.

If going direct, a Vetta and POD XT with the same presets will be practically identical.

I used to use a Vetta around the time they first came out. Really great amp at the time. Line 6 did really good pairing their modeling with a big, clean power section. The Vetta cabs were really nice too. I held onto mine with various "real" amps for years.

As for phase issues, I don't remember anything that stands out, but I didn't use the dual-tone very much.

mnemonic likes this.
  3. mnemonic

That makes sense, I suppose people may say a Vetta sounds better since it’s got its own power amp and you run it into a guitar cab, where Pods are at the mercy of the power amp and speakers used. I’m sure plenty of people ran a pod though computer speakers and wondered why it sucked (me included).

Maybe a pod X3 would be a better idea since I already have power amps. I’ll keep an eye out and see what comes up for sale first.

4. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, the Vetta was a full system, which meant the results were more controlled. The combos were absolute beasts.

The difference between XT and X3 was relatively minimal. To me at least. I believe Line 6 "admitted" that there were just tweaks of the existing XT models.

I've seen the HD start to fall further in price. Pretty soon you'll be able to score the floorboards for ~$100. So I'd probably look there as well.

It's a shame Line 6 hasn't released a Helix amp.

lewis, USMarine75 and mnemonic like this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

I have a Vetta II head up until maybe a year ago. I made the cardinal sin of trying it before I put it up for sale. Needless to say I ended up keeping it another 6 months before I finally was able to part with it. Per usual, many of the stock presets were meh.... but after reading the manual (best manual I’ve ever seen btw) and messing around with it, I was able to come up with a ton of presets that sounded great to me. And it sounded even better recorded than live IMO. I didn’t need it once I bought a KPA... and my only real complaint was that it really disappeared live in a mix when you started cranking it no matter what the preset was. And it was definitely a solid state 300w lol... My 40w Bassman crushed it. But it was a great purchase and well ahead of its time. I feel like the KPA was designed by someone who owned a Vetta and said let’s take it up a notch.

The only issue I ever heard with it QC wise was that the LCD screens used to have some issues - I think they would stop displaying or some such. I was concerned that as it got older I wouldn’t be able to get I serviced like a more simple tube amp. So since it was 10+ years old I decided to sell it, even thought it was in like new (never left my studio) condition.

And @MaxOfMetal iirc there were two models of line 6 cabs. The lower end one was hot garbage and sounded bad with every amp or line 6 preset I ever heard it used with. But that higher end one sounded pretty good especially for the money... it was a sleeper.

mnemonic likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

The display issue was a ribbon strip that would either come loose or fail. There were a number of fixes for it. There was also a back light problem that was supposedly an easy fix.

As for the cabs, the actual Vetta cabs were great, loaded with four 90 watt custom Celestions. The lower end cab was for the Flex (precursor to the Spider) and/or HD147 heads. Those had some OEM 50 watt speakers in them if I remember correctly.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Dino used a Vetta II on FF's Mechanize album, and TBH his tone on that allbum was more crushing than either The Industrialist (POD HD) or Genexus (Kemper profiling a Fortin JCM800 and/or his old Metalhead JCM. )

mnemonic and lewis like this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

That and the Meshuggah work was the reason I picked up a Vetta II myself (no longer own it)

9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I played one of those in a GC when they first came out and was blown away. Loved it after just a few minutes of tweaking a Marshall sim. Just couldn’t afford it at the time.

10. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I had a Vetta at the beginning of this year. I bought it because of the Marshall cab that came with it. It played really well, and had very usable tones. It was with me for maybe a couple of months. I sold it to a local band that still uses it. If I found one for $350 or less, I'd be interested.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

Also tbh some of Ola's best tones were with the Vetta.

A Helix amp would be killer, though. I don't mean FRFR like the Firehawk, I mean old-school Vetta-style head with a beefy Class D power section.

mnemonic likes this.
  12. mnemonic

I listened to that album last night, forgot how awesome it was haha

13. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

I bought a Vetta 2 combo that had been Armin modded with floorboard from GC early this year for 350ish. I remember wanting one so badly when they came out, but I couldn't afford the price being a young teenager.

I use mine for recording, I still think it sounds very good for my uses. Using 2 amps makes dialing it in take more time, getting the levels and EQ to work without one overpowering the other can be a bit annoying. Not any more that a real stereo amp rig can be though. Since I have the armin mod I am using the modded cab sims built in, I am sure that I could get some IRs that sound "better" but I have never felt that it wasn't a useable and to my ears a good tone.

There is a FB group for the Vetta that has a wealth of knowledge about the most common repairs, i.e. battery back up for the memory.

Overall, I like mine a lot. I am looking to keep a modeling rig to go along with my other amps. I enjoy the available options in sounds and effects. It is not my primary rig, but works incredibly well and adds some nice flexibility for my home recording needs.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's amazing how outdated hardware and software created what's still one of my favorite metal tones. :lol:

Veldar and Wolfhorsky like this.
  15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, that one sounds great. I always figured part of that was production though. It seemed to have more time and money put into it since it was the return of Dino, had Hoglan on it, etc.... The Industrislist was done as more of a bedroom project it seems where they just recorded it at home with a drum machine. I always thought the guitar tone was more squaky on it. Genexus is somewhere in between those. I wonder if the next one will have a Helix on it, lol.

I have not owned a Line 6 since the HD500 annoyed me so bad and I went to Fractal. I have been kind of wanting to try something on the Helix platform. One thing I miss is Line 6 definitely always has some sort of upper mid harshness which can sound great for FF style. Fractal can sound too smooth and hi-fi at times, which can make it challenging to get those harsher tones.

I have been having a lot of fun with those little Mooer preamp pedals lately also. I wonder what those are based off of. I assume the code is based on something older that people haven't discovered yet.

16. mnemonic

I guess the helix hx stomp would be a good, smaller and cheaper way to try out the helix stuff, if you’re not into big signal chains. I’ve got an eBay alert set up for one, but I don’t expect any cheap used ones for a while.

Speaking of the Mooer’s code maybe being based on something else, that’s something I was thinking about the other day. In normal amps, people tend to borrow or steal other designs, refining them and revoicing to fit what they’re trying to do, but I guess that isn’t possible with modelers, unless you crack someone else’s algorithms.

The Pod 2.0 I recently picked up has a real immediacy in the attack that I like, which is hard to get with other stuff. But it does require a boost, and a tube power amp to get there.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'd say Helix Native would be better. There's a 15-day free trial for the plugin.

Elric likes this.
  18. mnemonic

Good point I forgot about that.

I tried that out when it first came out (had to borrow my gf’s MacBook since my computer is too slow) and there were some cool tones, but I only messed around with it for like an hour or so, as I was only really interested in how the ‘Bayou’ amp sounded, as it was said to be an updated version of the Big Bottom amp from the XT days.

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

There's a lot of new amp models since then. An Archon, Friedman Brown Eye, Mesa Mark IV, etc etc.

Hell I even found out they recently added a Boss SD-1 and Rangemaster treble booster with recent updates.

mnemonic likes this.
  20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have considered it, but then I would be stuck with the "recorded tone" without major cabling issues. I would probably not like it, because I think all modelers tend to sound and feel better into a poweramp and guitar cab, instead of IRs.